Converting Mathematica to MS Word

Mark Coleman

Oct 29, 2004, 4:12:14 AM10/29/04
Greetings,

I have written a technical paper in Mathematica and the publisher has requested
it be sent in MS Word! (yes, I am rolling my eyes as well). Is this
sort of thing even remotely possible?

Thanks,

-Mark

Robert Jacobson

Oct 31, 2004, 1:37:50 AM10/31/04
There are programs that can convert TeX to Word. So you can export your
Mathematica notebook to TeX, then import the TeX into Word. Google for
it.

Here's one of the google results that has a 30-day trial:
http://www.comsol-online.com/content.php?si=507

Hans Michel

Oct 31, 2004, 1:38:51 AM10/31/04
Mark:

If you are using a version of mathematica that can Save or Export to (XHTML
or XML) with MathML. Then I would start there. A while back I think I
answered a post that was the converse of your question (Word to
Mathematica). My suggestion involved Using OpenOffice as the intemediary. I
think it is possible to go from Mathematica to Word. Where you would have
problems are with the MathML, Graphics, and Equation Numbering and
Footnotes. This is why I would stick to using open office
First OpenOffce is free. Download it if you don't have it already.

Save you Notebook as XHTML+MathML then open in OpenOffice Writer. If all
goes well then export it as a Microsoft Word doc.

There are many things I am over looking but this would be my approach.
Hans
"Mark Coleman" <ma...@markscoleman.com> wrote in message

Steve Luttrell

Oct 31, 2004, 1:44:58 AM10/31/04
You could try saving the paper in a format that is common to both
Mathematica and MS Word. Two formats that might work are HTML and XML. Good
luck!

Steve Luttrell

Urijah Kaplan

Nov 1, 2004, 2:58:26 AM11/1/04
Save it as html, then open it in a recent version of Word, then save it as
a ".doc". If you need to keep graphics as vector objects, save them
separately as wmf files (use Export[]) and import them into Word. You'll
lose some of the fancier formatting, but it should be good enough for most
purposes after a bit of tweaking.

--Urijah Kaplan

Mike

Nov 1, 2004, 3:24:02 AM11/1/04
The problem with that is that the equations are saved as images and cannot
be edited. A long winded alternative that will produce equations in the
equation editor format is to first save the notebook as a TeX document then
use the freeware application latex2rtf to convert it to a RTF file. The
benefit is that you get equations that can be edited from within MS word.

The only problem I have encountered with this approach is that if you have
multiline equations they are not converted.

Good luck

Mike

On 31/10/04 4:44 PM, in article cm21la$gbm$1...@smc.vnet.net, "Steve Luttrell"

Marc Heusser

Nov 2, 2004, 2:07:13 AM11/2/04
In article <clsu0u$3rt$1...@smc.vnet.net>,
Mark Coleman <ma...@markscoleman.com> wrote:

> I have written a technical paper in Mathematica and the publisher has
> requested
> it be sent in MS Word! (yes, I am rolling my eyes as well). Is this
> sort of thing even remotely possible?

Have you checked whether they'll not accept an Acrobat (.pdf) file with
good enough resolution (eg 1200 or 2400 dpi)?
Often they will. And it would look exactly the same.

HTH

Marc

--
Marc Heusser
(remove the obvious: CHEERS and MERICAL...until end to reply via email)