Exporting to MS Word

co...@ix.netcom*nospam*.com

Sep 1, 2000, 1:46:10 AM9/1/00
Hello All,

First let me apolgize for posting a subject that has been discussed
before but I've searched the Wolfram site, Deja News and the online
help to no avail.

I believe my question is simple. How can I export a Mathematica 3.0
notebook containing text, input commands, output values and output
formulas to MS Word so that the quality of the final Word document was
worthy of the effort involved in exporting ? That is to say that the
formulas in Word look as good as the same formulas in Mathematica. My
formulas are "2 dimensional" in that they contain integral signs,
square root symbols etc. We're using Word 2000 if that matters.

Is there a FAQ somewhere that describes this in sufficient detail ?

Those that will view the Mathematica notebook in Word will not
necessarily need to be able to edit the material but if the export
could be done in a way to allow editing in MS Word, so much the
better.

Copying and pasting individual cells may be OK for very small
notebooks but I need a way to export the entire notebook. I tried
Select All,
Copy As, Metafile
activate Word
Paste
but don't understand why this doesn't work ? The formulas don't seem
to make it.

Conversely, if MS Word can be configured to Import a Mathematica
notebook then we'd be equally happy.

Although I've seen several posts dealing with exporting graphics to
Word, I'd thought I'd get the easier stuff to work first.

I have several Mathematica notebooks that I would like to place in a
shared area on our server and those that will need to view these files
only have MS Word available. Publicon and MathReader are not options
for us.

Can anyone help with this ?

Thanks

Steve
For any e-mail responses, please remove *NOSPAM* from my address.

P.J. Hinton

Sep 1, 2000, 10:04:42 PM9/1/00
On 1 Sep 2000 co...@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> First let me apolgize for posting a subject that has been discussed
> before but I've searched the Wolfram site, Deja News and the online
> help to no avail.
>
> I believe my question is simple. How can I export a Mathematica 3.0
> notebook containing text, input commands, output values and output
> formulas to MS Word so that the quality of the final Word document was
> worthy of the effort involved in exporting ? That is to say that the
> formulas in Word look as good as the same formulas in Mathematica. My
> formulas are "2 dimensional" in that they contain integral signs,
> square root symbols etc. We're using Word 2000 if that matters.

There does not exist a lossless way to transmit the contents of a
Mathematica notebook to Microsoft Word format. The Mathematica notebook
format is a structure document format that provides for separation of
content and presentation. Word is largely a presentation-oriented format.

If Word is the only option available to you, you may want to consider
saving to Rich Text Format. Select the cells in the notebook and use the
front end menu command Edit -> Save Selection As -> Rich Text
(RTF)... Because Mathematica uses special fonts, unless those fonts are
installed on the user's system, it is very likely that two-dimensional
typesetting will not look properly on his or her system. Two-dimensional
typesetting is stored internally as metafiles, making them non-editable.

If you are concerned about quality of appearance, MathReader is the best
option.

http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathreader/

Another alternative is to convert the notebook into a full-blown
PostScript document with a PostScript printer driver and then use a
third-party utility for converting the file into Adobe Portable Document
Format (PDF). This will preserve the appearance of the notebook and make
it possible for non-Office users to view your work.

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer pa...@wolfram.com

Tom Compton

Sep 7, 2000, 11:07:42 PM9/7/00
I tried what you suggested. My plots were microscopic. How
do I get the plots to copy at some reasonable size?

How do I do the PostScript process on a Windows PC?

Is there an FAQ on this?

Thanks.

P.J. Hinton <pa...@wolfram.com> wrote in message

P.J. Hinton

Sep 10, 2000, 3:39:17 AM9/10/00
On 7 Sep 2000, Tom Compton wrote:

> I tried what you suggested. My plots were microscopic.

What version of Mathematica were you using to generate the RTF file?

> How do I do the PostScript process on a Windows PC?

The process consists of two steps:

1) Print the notebook, selecting a printer driver that emits PostScript
and specifying on the print dialog box that you wish to print to a file
rather than to a physical printer. For best results, you may want to
download the free generic PostScript printer driver that is offered by
Adobe.

http://www.adobe.com/products/printerdrivers/main.html

2) Obtain and install a PostScript-to-PDF converter program and
supply the file you generated in (1) as input.

Below are two possible utilities you may want to consider. They are
presented for information purposes only and should not be construed as
endorsements.

Adobe's Acrobat suite (not the freeware reader) offers a utility called
Distiller:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrdis/main.html

Frank Siegert has a shareware utility named PStill:

http://www.this.net/~frank/pstill.html

co...@ix.netcom*nospam*.com

Sep 10, 2000, 8:49:29 PM9/10/00
Tom,
For what it's worth I've given up in trying to export to MS Word.

The good news however is that the export to GhostScript works
beutifully and for my needs is just about as good as dumping my
notebooks into Word. I tried it under Win98 and my plots came through
nicely. If you have GhostScript, point your browser to

http://library.wolfram.com/howtos/pdf/

If you don't have it I believe you can get it off the web at no cost.

Also, the above site will tell you how to export to Acrobat in PDF
format.

Steve