Unwanted lined in PDF-exported Graphics3D

Mariano Suárez-Alvarez

Mar 18, 2008, 5:48:50 AM3/18/08
Simple code as

Export["test.pdf",
Graphics3D[{
Polygon[Table[Chop[{Cos[t], Sin[t], 0}], {t, 0, 2 Pi, 0.1}]]
}]
]

results in a PDF file which has lots of extra lines on the surface.

Is there a way to get rid of them?

-- m

Szabolcs Horvát

Mar 19, 2008, 6:22:38 AM3/19/08

In this specific case I cannot see any lines with Adobe Reader 8.1.2.
However I think I know the problem that you are referring to. The lines
are an artifact of antialiasing, so there is not way to get rid of them
(apart from using a different PDF reader).

For some reason Mathematica likes to break up large polygons into many
small ones and their edges become visible.

See this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_thread/thread/2f61a13953fc1973/553f73ed80fea6c3#553f73ed80fea6c3

ragfield

Mar 19, 2008, 6:23:58 AM3/19/08
On Mar 18, 4:48 am, Mariano Su=E1rez-Alvarez

<mariano.suarezalva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> results in a PDF file which has lots of extra lines on the surface.
>
> Is there a way to get rid of them?

The lines are rendering artifacts caused by the fact that whatever PDF
viewer you are using is antialiasing the graphic. Your options are
either to disable antialiasing in the viewer application, or to force
Mathematica to rasterize the image (by choosing "Use Bitmap
Representation" from the "Graphics Containing Smooth Shading" popup
menu in the "Options" button dialog in the "Save Selection As"
dialog).

-Rob

mark

Mar 19, 2008, 6:27:03 AM3/19/08
On Mar 18, 9:48 am, Mariano Su=E1rez-Alvarez

there is no any extra lines on the surface. are you trying to get rid
of the box? if that what you are looking for then
use:

Export["test.pdf",
Graphics3D[{Polygon[

Table[Chop[{Cos[t], Sin[t], 0}], {t, 0, 2 Pi, 0.1}]]},
Boxed -> False]]

Jens-Peer Kuska

Mar 19, 2008, 6:26:52 AM3/19/08

not with Mathematica 6.0.2

Regards
Jens

Mariano Suárez-Alvarez

Mar 20, 2008, 4:00:44 AM3/20/08
On Mar 19, 7:22 am, Szabolcs Horv=E1t <szhor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica/browse_...

I guessed it was antialiasing. It very much
destroys the esthetics of these graphics I'm
working on (sets of symmetry planes of polyhedra,
each one drawn as a disc), sadly, for PDF output.

I guess I was wondering if there is some way
to tell Mathematica to work harder and not use that
many polygons. Rasterizing in order to include
in a PDF seems like a very wrong path...

Oh well.

-- m

rych

Mar 21, 2008, 2:55:16 AM3/21/08
Yes, I can confirm the problem on 6.0.2 (AdobeAcrobat8 is installed
too). And it gets worse when using an online viewer
https://share.adobe.com/adc/adc.do?docid=86ab9d5b-f681-11dc-8d05-e59350926=
3b8
Igor

On Mar 20, 8:00 am, Mariano Su=E1rez-Alvarez