Experimental`$EqualTolerance

Andrzej Kozlowski

Dec 1, 2009, 4:13:45 AM12/1/09
The functions $EqualTolerance and $SameQToleranceexists in the
Experimantel context both in Mathematica 5.2 and in later versions. But
while in 5.2 I get

In[1]:=
Experimental`$EqualTolerance

Out[1]=
2.10721

In 7.01 I get:

In[44]:= Experimental`$EqualTolerance

Out[44]= Experimental`$EqualTolerance

Further more, it seems that although the function name $EqualTolerance
has been retained in the Experimental context, the function itself no
longer does anything. Compare:

Mathematica 5.2

In[9]:=
Block[{Experimental`$EqualTolerance =16}, 1. == 2.]

Out[9]=
True

Mathematica 7.01

In[58]:= Block[{Experimental`$EqualTolerance = 16}, 1. == 2.]

Out[58]= False

Was keeping Experimental`$EqualTolerance while removing its definition
in Mathematica 7 just an oversight or does it still serve some purpose?
And has the functionality been transferred to some other function?

Andrzej Kozlowski

Andrzej Kozlowski

Dec 1, 2009, 4:14:01 AM12/1/09
O.K. I noticed my mistake. The functions do not exist in the
Experimental context in Mathemaica 7.01 - what happened was that I
created them by trying to check if they existed! That's an old trap that
I have not fallen into for many years ;-)

So it only leaves the question: it the old functionality still available
in some way?

Andrzej Kozlowski

Carl Woll

Dec 2, 2009, 6:37:01 AM12/2/09
Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:
> O.K. I noticed my mistake. The functions do not exist in the
> Experimental context in Mathemaica 7.01 - what happened was that I
> created them by trying to check if they existed! That's an old trap that
> I have not fallen into for many years ;-)
>
> So it only leaves the question: it the old functionality still available
> in some way?
>
> Andrzej Kozlowski

I guess the context has changed to:

Internal`$EqualTolerance