How to suppress the beep in version 4?

Eckhard Hennig

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to turn off the beep the Mathematica 4
frontend for Windows NT produces every time a square bracket is typed? When
I type something like f[x[[2]]], I get

This behavior is extremely annoying when a sound card is installed because
each beep causes the display of the bracket to be delayed by the time it
takes to play the ding.wav file (approximately 0.5 seconds for each ding).
And apart from the annoying delays, I would like to prevent my colleagues
from going nuts when I'm using Mathematica 4.

-- Eckhard

Dipl.-Ing. Eckhard Hennig mailto:hen...@itwm.uni-kl.de
Institut fuer Techno- und Wirtschaftsmathematik e.V. (ITWM)
Erwin-Schroedinger-Strasse, 67663 Kaiserslautern, Germany
Voice: +49-(0)631-205-3126 Fax: +49-(0)631-205-4139
http://www.itwm.uni-kl.de/as/employees/hennig.html

ITWM - Makers of Analog Insydes for Mathematica
http://www.itwm.uni-kl.de/as/products/ai

Peter Breitfeld

Aug 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/10/99
Eckhard Hennig <hen...@itwm.uni-kl.de> schrieb:

> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to turn off the beep the Mathematica 4
> frontend for Windows NT produces every time a square bracket is typed? When
> I type something like f[x[[2]]], I get

[*** snipp ***]

I suppressed the beep setting in the options inspector:
Global Options / Message Options / Warning Action ---> {}

Gruss, Peter
--
=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--= http://home.t-online.de/home/phbrf
Peter Breitfeld, Saulgau, Germany PGP public key: 08548045

Tore Ferner

Aug 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/10/99
It is probably due to your {, [, ] and } characters being accessed with AltGr.

To turn it off:
Edit -> Prefernces -> Global options -> Message options

There you click on the small box to the right of "WarningAction" and uncheck "Beep".

Tore

Eckhard Hennig wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to turn off the beep the Mathematica 4
> frontend for Windows NT produces every time a square bracket is typed? When
> I type something like f[x[[2]]], I get

Eckhard Hennig

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99

Peter Breitfeld schrieb in Nachricht <7oojtb$i...@smc.vnet.net>...
>Eckhard Hennig <hen...@itwm.uni-kl.de> schrieb:

>> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to turn off the beep the Mathematica
4
>> frontend for Windows NT produces every time a square bracket is typed?
When
>> I type something like f[x[[2]]], I get

>[*** snipp ***]
>
>I suppressed the beep setting in the options inspector:
>Global Options / Message Options / Warning Action ---> {}

Unfortunately, this suppresses both bracket beeps and message beeps. Is
there a way to turn off only the former?

Thanks,