video on Presentations by Williams and Park

divisor

Aug 7, 2009, 5:30:34 AM8/7/09
Hello MathGroup:

David J. Park and I have collaborated to produce a short video about
the platform and David's add-on Presentations.

We both thought it came out "OK" and are interested in any comments/
criticisms/suggestions the group members can make about it.

The current version is located here:

http://www.screencast.com/users/Indivisible/folders/Default/media/f77644eb-4f44-449b-ace8-4907ac7480f0

Please feel free to respond here or to David and/or myself.

Thanks in advance.

Regards..

Roger Williams
Franklin Laboratory

David Reiss

Aug 8, 2009, 4:36:15 AM8/8/09
In Safari get no sound. Also at a number of points n the screencast
the content of the screen content is garbled: i.e., it is not being
redrawn and the material (such as cursor movement) that is added is
scrambling the content that is beneath it.

--David

On Aug 7, 5:30 am, divisor <congruentialumina...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello MathGroup:
>
> David J. Park and I have collaborated to produce a short video about
> the platform and David's add-on Presentations.
>
> We both thought it came out "OK" and are interested in any comments/
> criticisms/suggestions the group members can make about it.
>
> The current version is located here:
>

> http://www.screencast.com/users/Indivisible/folders/Default/media/f77...

Syd Geraghty

Aug 8, 2009, 4:38:23 AM8/8/09
Hi David & Roger,

I just tried to view and listen to your screencast with poor outcomes
on my Mac.

I got video but no sound on Safari, Opera, & FireFox browsers. The
Opera problem was further limited by not displaying the screen cast
controls properly.

I also found that a Mac email address was not accepted by ScreenCast
to subscribe to their service.

Any ideas??

Will try later on my PC.

Cheers ... Syd

Syd Geraghty B.Sc, M.Sc.

sydge...@mac.com

Mathematica 7.0.1 for Mac OS X x86 (64 - bit) (18th February 2009)
MacOS X V 10.5.6
MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM

On Aug 7, 2009, at 2:31 AM, divisor wrote:

> Hello MathGroup:
>
> David J. Park and I have collaborated to produce a short video about
> the platform and David's add-on Presentations.
>
> We both thought it came out "OK" and are interested in any comments/
> criticisms/suggestions the group members can make about it.
>
> The current version is located here:
>

> http://www.screencast.com/users/Indivisible/folders/Default/media/f77644eb-4f44-449b-ace8-4907ac7480f0

divisor

Aug 8, 2009, 4:38:33 AM8/8/09
There are several people who have Macs. I will store a QuickTime out
there before Monday.

Regards..

Roger Williams
Fanklin Laboratory

On Aug 7, 2:30 am, divisor <congruentialumina...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello MathGroup:
>
> David J. Park and I have collaborated to produce a short video about
> the platform and David's add-on Presentations.
>
> We both thought it came out "OK" and are interested in any comments/
> criticisms/suggestions the group members can make about it.
>
> The current version is located here:
>

> http://www.screencast.com/users/Indivisible/folders/Default/media/f77...

Armand Tamzarian

Aug 8, 2009, 4:40:13 AM8/8/09
No sound when I tried the view/listen (tired Firefox 3.5 and Safari 4)

On Aug 7, 4:30 am, divisor <congruentialumina...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello MathGroup:
>
> David J. Park and I have collaborated to produce a short video about
> the platform and David's add-on Presentations.
>
> We both thought it came out "OK" and are interested in any comments/

No sound when I tried to view/listen (Firefox 3.5 and Safari 4)

> criticisms/suggestions the group members can make about it.
>
> The current version is located here:
>

> http://www.screencast.com/users/Indivisible/folders/Default/media/f77...

divisor

Aug 9, 2009, 6:04:24 AM8/9/09
Hello MathGroup:

A QuickTime version of the original video is stored here:
http://www.screencast.com/users/Indivisible/folders/Default/media/343a7474-0df6-48b4-86fb-54a6310d664e

Regards..

Roger Williams
Fanklin Laboratory

On Aug 8, 1:38 am, divisor <congruentialumina...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> There are several people who have Macs. I will store a QuickTime out
> there before Monday.
>
> Regards..
>
> Roger Williams
> Fanklin Laboratory
>
> On Aug 7, 2:30 am, divisor <congruentialumina...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> <snipped/>

Indivisible

Aug 9, 2009, 6:04:36 AM8/9/09

Hello Syd:

You said:

> I also found that a Mac email address was not accepted by ScreenCast to subscribe to their service.
>

> Any ideas??

I think any generic email address should work. They have a free and a "pro" version. Make sure you are signing up for the free version.

Good luck...

Regards..RogerW

AES

Aug 9, 2009, 6:06:09 AM8/9/09
In article <h5jddv$13q$1...@smc.vnet.net>, David Reiss <dbr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> In Safari get no sound. Also at a number of points n the screencast
> the content of the screen content is garbled: i.e., it is not being
> redrawn and the material (such as cursor movement) that is added is
> scrambling the content that is beneath it.
>
> --David

Same problem here -- and, the opening screen is a huge window, twice as
tall as my large external display, essentially empty, with no
explanatory content or instructions in it -- just two very tiny arrow
icons at the top -- which have no labels to show what they are or what
they do, and which don't respond (by changing appearance) instantly when
clicked, to show that they're received the click (even it it will take a
while to load whatever they are going to load) -- and then, if you
scroll way down to the bottom, two "box" icons, which seem to have all
the same defects as the arrow icons at the top.

Sorry to be so niggling about these latter points -- but these little
things add up rapidly in a GUI display.

And, I may do it, but I'm becoming increasingly resistant to any online
sites or material that require me to register (not sure if this one does
or not). Takes time, and gives one more location access to personal
data and access for spam.

Frank Scherbaum

Aug 9, 2009, 6:15:33 PM8/9/09
Hi Roger,

I get only the sound, but the movie on my Mac.
Cheers,
Frank

Am Aug 9, 2009 um 12:04 PM schrieb divisor:

> Hello MathGroup:
>
> A QuickTime version of the original video is stored here:
> http://www.screencast.com/users/Indivisible/folders/Default/media/343a7474-0df6-48b4-86fb-54a6310d664e
>

> Regards..
>
> Roger Williams
> Fanklin Laboratory

> On Aug 8, 1:38 am, divisor <congruentialumina...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> There are several people who have Macs. I will store a QuickTime out
>> there before Monday.
>>
>> Regards..
>>
>> Roger Williams
>> Fanklin Laboratory
>>
>> On Aug 7, 2:30 am, divisor <congruentialumina...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> <snipped/>

magma

Aug 9, 2009, 6:16:28 PM8/9/09
On Aug 9, 12:06 pm, AES <sieg...@stanford.edu> wrote:
> In article <h5jddv$13...@smc.vnet.net>, David Reiss <dbre...@gmail.com>

> wrote:
>
> > In Safari get no sound. Also at a number of points n the screencast
> > the content of the screen content is garbled: i.e., it is not being
> > redrawn and the material (such as cursor movement) that is added is
> > scrambling the content that is beneath it.
>
> > --David
>
> Same problem here -- and, the opening screen is a huge window, twice as
> tall as my large external display, essentially empty, with no
> explanatory content or instructions in it -- just two very tiny arrow
> icons at the top -- which have no labels to show what they are or what
> they do, and which don't respond (by changing appearance) instantly when
> clicked, to show that they're received the click (even it it will take a
> while to load whatever they are going to load) -- and then, if you
> scroll way down to the bottom, two "box" icons, which seem to have all
> the same defects as the arrow icons at the top.
>
> Sorry to be so niggling about these latter points -- but these little
> things add up rapidly in a GUI display.
>
> And, I may do it, but I'm becoming increasingly resistant to any online
> sites or material that require me to register (not sure if this one does
> or not). Takes time, and gives one more location access to personal
> data and access for spam.

I viewed the video from Europe on a pc with Firefox 3.5.
No registration is required.
Everything ran smoothly except that the sound was a little bit lower
than (for example) the intro video of screencast.com itself.
Even if a little lower, the audio was perfectly clear. all in all an
excellent way to deliver a presentation.

So most problems seem to be Safari or Mac related. Or perhaps user-PC
related.
I read that it should also be possible to download the presentation on
your computer. If this is so, many problems could be solved.

screencast.com is a repository of online videos. One of the main
differences with youtube.com is that you can upload videos longer than
10 minutes.

divisor

Aug 9, 2009, 6:17:01 PM8/9/09
Helo MathGroup:

A couple of points of information:

1. There is *no need at all* to sign up for anything to view this
presentation. This is true for both the Windows and the Mac/QuickTime
versions linked above.
2. There is a small formatting issue shown in the video in one of the
popup windows. I believe that this is a video production problem that
will be resolved during a subsequent "take".

Regards..

Roger Williams
Franklin Laboratory

On Aug 9, 3:06 am, AES <sieg...@stanford.edu> wrote:
> In article <h5jddv$13...@smc.vnet.net>, David Reiss <dbre...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > In Safari get no sound. Also at a number of points n the screencast
> > the content of the screen content is garbled: i.e., it is not being
> > redrawn and the material (such as cursor movement) that is added is
> > scrambling the content that is beneath it.
>
> > --David

George Woodrow III

Aug 9, 2009, 6:17:44 PM8/9/09
Thank you. Very thought-provoking presentation.

george

On Aug 9, 2009, at 6:04 AM, divisor wrote:

> Hello MathGroup:
>
> A QuickTime version of the original video is stored here:
> http://www.screencast.com/users/Indivisible/folders/Default/media/343a7474-0df6-48b4-86fb-54a6310d664e
>

> Regards..
>
> Roger Williams
> Fanklin Laboratory

> On Aug 8, 1:38 am, divisor <congruentialumina...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> There are several people who have Macs. I will store a QuickTime out
>> there before Monday.
>>
>> Regards..
>>
>> Roger Williams
>> Fanklin Laboratory
>>
>> On Aug 7, 2:30 am, divisor <congruentialumina...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> <snipped/>

David Reiss

Aug 9, 2009, 6:18:05 PM8/9/09
This quicktime version requires a non-standard codec and therefore is
not visible--only sound is available.

In my screencasts at

http://scientificarts.com/worklife/screencasts/index.html

I create them using Snapz Pro X which records to standard quicktime.
I simply place them at a URL on my website and they either display or
download directly.

--David

On Aug 9, 6:04 am, divisor <congruentialumina...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello MathGroup:
>

> A QuickTime version of the original video is stored here:http://www.scree=
ncast.com/users/Indivisible/folders/Default/media/343...

> Regards..
>
> Roger Williams
> Fanklin Laboratory

> On Aug 8, 1:38 am, divisor <congruentialumina...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > There are several people who have Macs. I will store a QuickTime out
> > there before Monday.
>
> > Regards..
>
> > Roger Williams
> > Fanklin Laboratory
>
> > On Aug 7, 2:30 am, divisor <congruentialumina...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > <snipped/>

divisor

Aug 10, 2009, 4:14:08 AM8/10/09
Thanks for this information. These codec and driver issues always trip
me up.

I used Camtasia 4 to record this. The WMV version is 36MB. When I
created the QT version from Camtasia it was 383MB. I found out from a
newsgroup that this is a known Camtasia problem. So I bought a copy of
QT Pro ($30). Then I rendered in AVI, opened it in QT Pro and saved
it. The resulting MOV file was 75MB. I could not imagine that a QT Pro-
created MOV file would not work on the Mac.

I don't have a Mac to test this on. Maybe I will go to Kinkos to test
this out.

I am grateful for the attempts by the people above to help me figure
out how to do this correctly.

Regards..RogerW

On Aug 9, 3:18 pm, David Reiss <dbre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This quicktime version requires a non-standard codec and therefore is
> not visible--only sound is available.
>
> In my screencasts at
>
> http://scientificarts.com/worklife/screencasts/index.html
>
> I create them using Snapz Pro X which records to standard quicktime.
> I simply place them at a URL on my website and they either display or
> download directly.
>
> --David
>

> On Aug 9, 6:04 am, divisor <congruentialumina...@yahoo.com> wrote:> Hello=
MathGroup:

> > A QuickTime version of the original video is stored here:http://www.scr=
ee=

> ncast.com/users/Indivisible/folders/Default/media/343...

> > Regards..
>
> > Roger Williams
> > Fanklin Laboratory

> > On Aug 8, 1:38 am, divisor <congruentialumina...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > > There are several people who have Macs. I will store a QuickTime out
> > > there before Monday.
>
> > > Regards..
>
> > > Roger Williams
> > > Fanklin Laboratory
>
> > > On Aug 7, 2:30 am, divisor <congruentialumina...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > <snipped/>- Hide quoted text -

DrMajorBob

Aug 10, 2009, 4:15:14 AM8/10/09
On my iMac, the sound comes through in all three browsers, but the video
is a gray screen in Opera, a white screen in SeaMonkey, and a black screen
in Safari.

Bobby

--
DrMaj...@bigfoot.com

Indivisible

Aug 10, 2009, 4:16:30 AM8/10/09

Hello MathGroup:

Based on guidance and QA testing by David Reiss, I have higher confidence t=
hat one of the following 2 links will work for the Mac. Note that all previ=
ous links posted are still valid. These links below have been encoded with =
codecs that (I hope) are supported by your Mac equipment.

QT3 - exported using H.264
http://www.screencast.com/t/xyIyVVIR

QT4 - exported using Sorenson Video 3
http://www.screencast.com/t/jAaqb8yEVFq

My apologies about the confusion on this.

Regards..RogerW
I get only the sound, but the movie on my Mac.
Cheers,
Frank
Am Aug 9, 2009 um 12:04 PM schrieb divisor:

> Hello MathGroup:
>
> A QuickTime version of the original video is stored here:

> http://www.screencast.com/users/Indivisible/folders/Default/media/343a747=

DrMajorBob

Aug 11, 2009, 3:59:13 AM8/11/09
Both links work in Opera on the Mac. Good job!

Bobby

--
DrMaj...@bigfoot.com

Thomas Dowling

Aug 11, 2009, 3:59:56 AM8/11/09
Hello,

I have the same problem with a Mac: sound but no video.

(Mac G4 powerbook, OSX, problem with both Firefox and Safari)

I have tried the different links, but the problem persists.

Tom Dowling.

> MathGroup:
> >
> > > A QuickTime version of the original video is stored here:

> http://www.scr=
> ee=
> >
> > ncast.com/users/Indivisible/folders/Default/media/343...

> > > Regards..
> >
> > > Roger Williams
> > > Fanklin Laboratory

George Woodrow III

Aug 11, 2009, 4:01:24 AM8/11/09
Thanks. I was able to download and access the first QT (73.7 MByte,
using the Techsmith Screen Capture, Integer (Little Endian)) version.
However, I have both Flip4mac and the Perian toolkit of codecs that
extend Quicktime on my mac.

I have never heard of the Techsmith codec before. The other two files
have codecs I do recognize, but not the "integer" or "Little Endian"
specification.

The file size is directly related to the bitrate, which is not
surprising.

The upshot is this: I am a poor tester for video compatibility on
'stock' macs because I have extra (free) codecs that others may not,

and

video is still a quagmire. I make my videos with straight H.264
encoding (and AAC for audio), and that seems to work more universally,
plus I have control over bitrate, etc. at the time I do the encoding.
For videos like this, I use the same tools that David Reiss does (on
macs), and there have been no problems with my windows-using friends.

george

>> Hello MathGroup:

>> A QuickTime version of the original video is stored here:

>> http://www.screencast.com/users/Indivisible/folders/Default/media/343a747=
> 4-0df6-48b4-86fb-54a6310d664e

Helen Read

Aug 11, 2009, 4:01:45 AM8/11/09
divisor wrote:
> Thanks for this information. These codec and driver issues always trip
> me up.
>
> I used Camtasia 4 to record this. The WMV version is 36MB. When I
> created the QT version from Camtasia it was 383MB. I found out from a
> newsgroup that this is a known Camtasia problem. So I bought a copy of
> QT Pro ($30). Then I rendered in AVI, opened it in QT Pro and saved
> it. The resulting MOV file was 75MB. I could not imagine that a QT Pro-
> created MOV file would not work on the Mac.
>
> I don't have a Mac to test this on. Maybe I will go to Kinkos to test
> this out.
>
> I am grateful for the attempts by the people above to help me figure
> out how to do this correctly.

I've been using Camtasia to make Mathematica screencast videos with an
inset of my talking head. I save them directly out of Camtasia as MP4,
post them on my department website, and link to them with a direct URL
(rather than embedding them in a webpage). My students don't have any
problems playing them on Windows or Mac.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont

WetBlanket

Aug 11, 2009, 4:02:07 AM8/11/09
On Aug 10, 3:16 am, Indivisible <congruentialumina...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Hello MathGroup:
>
> Based on guidance and QA testing by David Reiss, I have higher confidence that one of the following 2 links will work for the Mac. Note that all previous links posted are still valid. These links below have been encoded with codecs that (I hope) are supported by your Mac equipment.
>
> QT3 - exported using H.264http://www.screencast.com/t/xyIyVVIR
>
> QT4 - exported using Sorenson Video 3http://www.screencast.com/t/jAaqb8yEVFq

> My apologies about the confusion on this.
>
> Regards..RogerW

Thanks -- It works fine on my computer and is a good thought-provoking
video.

Gary

magma

Aug 12, 2009, 4:36:36 AM8/12/09
On Aug 10, 10:15 am, DrMajorBob <btre...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> On my iMac, the sound comes through in all three browsers, but the video
> is a gray screen in Opera, a white screen in SeaMonkey, and a black screen
> in Safari.
>
> Bobby
>
> On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 17:21:28 -0500, George Woodrow III <george...@mac.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Thank you. Very thought-provoking presentation.
>
> > george
>
> > On Aug 9, 2009, at 6:04 AM, divisor wrote:
>
> >> Hello MathGroup:
>
> >> A QuickTime version of the original video is stored here:
> >>http://www.screencast.com/users/Indivisible/folders/Default/media/343.. .
>
> >> Regards..
>
> >> Roger Williams
> >> Fanklin Laboratory

> --
> DrMajor...@bigfoot.com

Beautiful! A bit abstract perhaps, which one did you like most? :-)

peter lindsay

Aug 12, 2009, 4:36:57 AM8/12/09
yes, I also use Snapz Pro X

2009/8/9 David Reiss <dbr...@gmail.com>

> This quicktime version requires a non-standard codec and therefore is
> not visible--only sound is available.
>
> In my screencasts at
>
> http://scientificarts.com/worklife/screencasts/index.html
>
> I create them using Snapz Pro X which records to standard quicktime.
> I simply place them at a URL on my website and they either display or
> download directly.
>
> --David
>

> On Aug 9, 6:04 am, divisor <congruentialumina...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hello MathGroup:
> >

> > A QuickTime version of the original video is stored here:

> http://www.scree=
> ncast.com/users/Indivisible/folders/Default/media/343...

> > Regards..
> >
> > Roger Williams
> > Fanklin Laboratory

> > On Aug 8, 1:38 am, divisor <congruentialumina...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> > > There are several people who have Macs. I will store a QuickTime out
> > > there before Monday.
> >
> > > Regards..
> >
> > > Roger Williams
> > > Fanklin Laboratory
> >
> > > On Aug 7, 2:30 am, divisor <congruentialumina...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > <snipped/>

Armand Tamzarian

Aug 12, 2009, 4:38:23 AM8/12/09

Can those Mac users who are now able to view this post or email me
their system info.

I have 10.5.8 and still cannot get sound in Safari 4.0.2 and Firefox
3.5.2. I also have Flip4Mac installed.

Mike

Armand Tamzarian

Aug 14, 2009, 6:00:30 AM8/14/09
On Aug 12, 3:38 am, Armand Tamzarian <mike.honeychu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Aug 11, 3:02 am, WetBlanket <Wyvern...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 10, 3:16 am, Indivisible <congruentialumina...@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > Hello MathGroup:
>
> > > Based on guidance and QA testing by David Reiss, I have higher confid=
ence that one of the following 2 links will work for the Mac. Note that all=
previous links posted are still valid. These links below have been encoded=

with codecs that (I hope) are supported by your Mac equipment.

> > > QT3 - exported using H.264http://www.screencast.com/t/xyIyVVIR
>
> > > QT4 - exported using Sorenson Video 3http://www.screencast.com/t/jAaq=

b8yEVFq

> > > My apologies about the confusion on this.
>
> > > Regards..RogerW

As expected it turned out to be a problem with my configuration.
Thanks to those who emailed me.

Nice notebook and discussion.

Mike