Feynman slash notation

Shaun Culver

Aug 13, 2008, 9:37:40 AM8/13/08
I need to insert the slash notation into a Mathematica document. Does
Mathematica support this?

Jose Luis Gomez

Aug 14, 2008, 7:02:24 AM8/14/08
You can create new notations in Mathematica with the Notations Package
(add-on), which is already included in Mathematica, see this link:

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/Notation/guide/NotationPackage.h=
tml

I hope that helps

Jose
Mexico

Aug 16, 2008, 5:54:34 AM8/16/08
To Jose Luis Gomez,

Thank you for your suggestion. It seems to me that the "Notations
Package" can only be used to define convenient/new notation
conventions using the standard Mathematica symbols. Incorporating the
"Feynman slash notation" can be described as a typographical issue.

This link may be useful:
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1830003

This feature seems to be supported by the LaTeX typesetting system
used by, for example, Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feynman_slash_notation

David Bailey

Aug 17, 2008, 6:39:33 AM8/17/08
Shaun Culver wrote:
> I need to insert the slash notation into a Mathematica document. Does
> Mathematica support this?

One answer would be to use the fact that since version 6.0 it has been
possible to use graphics objects in expressions. The following
represents A-slash + B:

Interpretation[
Graphics[{Text[Style["A", FontSize -> 14], {0, 0}],
Text[Style["/", FontSize -> 14], {0, 0}]}, ImageSize -> 20],
ASlash] + B

The interpretation box ensures that the kernel 'sees' a symbol
corresponding to A-slash.

Unfortunately you would need to adjust the font size to suit the size of
the surrounding font.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk

Steve Luttrell

Aug 17, 2008, 6:39:49 AM8/17/08
In Mathematica you can overwrite characters by first of all typing them next
to each other in the usual way, and then selecting each block of characters
that you want to shift (left or right), and using ALT-LEFTARROW or
ALT-RIGHTARROW repeatedly to nudge the block to wherever you want it to be.

For instance, here is the Dirac equation that I created by nudging a /
leftwards so that it sits on top of a \[PartialD]:

Cell[TextData[Cell[BoxData[
FormBox[
RowBox[{
RowBox[{
RowBox[{"(",
RowBox[{"i", " ",
RowBox[{"\[PartialD]",
RowBox[{
AdjustmentBox["/",
BoxMargins->{{-0.6666666666666666, 0.6666666666666666}, {0., 0.}}],
RowBox[{"-", "m"}]}]}]}], ")"}], "\[Psi]"}], "=", "0"}],
TraditionalForm]]]], "Text"]

Paste this Cell Expression into a notebook to see it rendered.

--
Stephen Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

"Shaun Culver" <ad...@shaunculver.com> wrote in message

Shaun Culver

Aug 18, 2008, 3:37:43 AM8/18/08
Thank you for your responses.

Stephen Luttrell's solution worked really well for my purposes. I hope
that Mathematica staff will incorporate this notation in future
releases.

Regards,

Shaun Culver