PuTTY works fine, plink says "Host does not exist"

SamuraiMark

Sep 11, 2009, 9:10:46 AM9/11/09
PuTTY works just fine on my laptop (Win XP, PuTTY 0.60), but plink
always returns:

C:\>plink myhost
Unable to open connection:
Host does not exist
C:\>

I can ping the host just fine and SSH to it with PuTTY:

C:\>ping myhost

Pinging myhost.mydom.dom [10.10.2.18] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.10.2.18: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=254
Reply from 10.10.2.18: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=254
Reply from 10.10.2.18: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=254
Reply from 10.10.2.18: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=254

Ping statistics for 10.10.2.18:

C:\>

Any ideas why this me happening?

Thanks,
Mark

SamuraiMark

Sep 11, 2009, 9:12:47 AM9/11/09
Also, pscp and psftp work fine.

Simon Tatham

Sep 11, 2009, 9:17:27 AM9/11/09
SamuraiMark <md2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> C:\>plink myhost
> Unable to open connection:
> Host does not exist
> C:\>
>
> I can ping the host just fine and SSH to it with PuTTY:
>
> C:\>ping myhost
>
> Pinging myhost.mydom.dom [10.10.2.18] with 32 bytes of data:

My first thought here is to ask if you've got a PuTTY saved session
with the name 'myhost'. If so, Plink will use that in preference to
interpreting 'myhost' as a host name, and if the saved session
contains inaccurate information that could easily cause a problem.

Try adding '-v' to Plink's command line, to see where it's really
trying to connect to.
--
Simon Tatham "I thought I'd put my foot so far into my mouth I
<ana...@pobox.com> wouldn't be able to sit down without standing up."

mikea

Sep 11, 2009, 9:27:43 AM9/11/09

No idea yet. You obviously have connectivity. That means that the
problem may be DNS-related, or something else interesting.

What happens when you use the fully qualified name:

plink myhost.mydom.dom

?

What happens when you try the IP address:

plink 10.10.2.18

?

Can you see anything interesting in a wireshark or tcpdump packet trace
of traffic to/from that laptop during the failed attempt?

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mi...@mikea.ath.cx

SamuraiMark

Sep 11, 2009, 10:47:21 AM9/11/09
On Sep 11, 9:17 am, Simon Tatham <ana...@pobox.com> wrote:
> Try adding '-v' to Plink's command line, to see where it's really
> trying to connect to.

I don't have any profiles defined (too many hosts).

Some sort of DNS weirdness?

C:\>plink -v myhost
Looking up host ".mydom.com"

Unable to open connection:
Host does not exist

C:\>plink -v myhost.mydom.com
Looking up host ".mydom.com"

Jacob Nevins

Sep 14, 2009, 5:47:54 PM9/14/09
SamuraiMark <md2...@gmail.com> writes:
>I don't have any profiles defined (too many hosts).
[...]

>C:\>plink -v myhost
>Looking up host ".mydom.com"
>Unable to open connection:
>Host does not exist
>C:\>plink -v myhost.mydom.com
>Looking up host ".mydom.com"
>Unable to open connection:
>Host does not exist
>C:\>

A correspondent to the PuTTY mailing list has pointed out a behaviour
that may explain your problem.

Do you have a host name stored in "Default Settings"? (I.e., if you
launch PuTTY and don't touch anything, is ".mydom.com" in the
"Host Name" box?)
This became possible in 0.60 (by popular demand), and PuTTY copes
gracefully with it, but it turns out Plink does not. If this is your
problem, it's probably treating "myhost" as part of the remote command
rather than a hostname (but this isn't evident as it's not getting far
enough for the remote command to be relevant).

A fix for Plink's misbehaviour in this circumstance has been checked
in, so tomorrow's development snapshot should behave better (r8651 or
later).

rheza....@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2018, 10:12:39 PM10/4/18
i have the same problem as you
i can ping my server and i can login my server using putty
but when i run my plink.exe it said:

Unable to open connection:
Host does not exist

have you find a solution for this problem?