Norman Defense Systems Unveils the Norman Firewall

BARRY M. BROOKS

Mar 21, 1995, 8:51:21 AM3/21/95
NORMAN DATA DEFENSE SYSTEMS UNVEILS THE NORMAN FIREWALL

Provides Secure Data Passage for Network-to-Internet Communications

FOSE '95, WASHINGTON, March 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Norman Data Defense Systems,
Inc. today introduced the Norman Firewall, a firewall providing a single,
highly secured route for data traveling between networks and the Internet.
"We are proud to deliver a new level of data defense for networks that are
currently vulnerable to attack from a variety of global data security threats,
including hackers and viruses," said Norman Data Defense Systems, Inc.
President and CEO David J. Stang, Ph.D.
Like a sentry positioned to identify visitors and then authorize or deny
entry, the Norman Firewall combines an integrated front-end server, proxy
server, and virus detector to defend systems and information. The Norman
Firewall essentially opens incoming and outgoing data packets, and inspects,
virus-checks (against more than 6,500 known viruses), and repackages the data
packets, before delivery to their destination. No packets ever need to
directly enter or leave internal networks.
"Unlike any firewall on the market today, the Norman Firewall provides much
more inspection and protection performance than mere packet filtering or
routing," said Dr. Stang. The Norman Firewall checks the origin, time of
arrival, and destination of each packet, reads packet labels revealing the
sensitivity of information they contain, and records and stores packet contents
for review or for virus scanning before allowing them to enter, greatly reducing
the possibility of contaminating the network.
"A recent USA Research study(A) revealed that ninety percent (90%) of
security breaches are accomplished via network connections. The uniquely
configured Norman Firewall, can prevent most network security threats, including
IP spoofing and hijacking," explained Dr. Stang.
The existence and operation of the proxy server allows integration of robust
security mechanisms to prevent an outside sender from violating the system.
Designed to meet U.S. Government computer security standards at the B1/CMW level
of trust, the Norman Firewall offers an integrated suite of 14 security
mechanisms and hosts the proxy server on one of the most secure operating
systems available. In recent penetration testing on the first installed system,
two Federal security agencies could not break through the Norman Firewall.
The Norman Firewall's Robust Features
-- Accountability through user identification, authentication, and
sensitivity labels placed on users, information, and communications pathways to
inform the system to grant or deny access.
-- Packet and file filtering for viruses and trojans
-- Monitored file access and storage including securing objects for reuse
and discretionary or mandatory access control based on management- defined
policy
-- Operational assurance through design of system architecture, system
integrity, system diagnostics, and trusted recovery
-- Audit capabilities through creation, maintenance, and protection of audit
trails, accessible only to authorized audit staff. Audit records identify
users, types of events, success or failure, date and time, name, object type,
and label
-- Support services including system configuration and installation,
Internet Mail configuration, on-site, on-call maintenance and support, risk
analysis and security assessment, counsel on defining, configuring, and
enforcing enterprise-wide security policy
Each Norman Firewall is uniquely configured to the individual customer's
requirements. In addition to the standard Norman Firewall features, customers
can choose from a variety of system configuration options including user
password generation, encryption, and the ability to trace back to access point
of origin.

The Norman Firewall Product Specifications
-- attaches LANs to the Internet via dial-up or dedicated 66KB or
T1 facilities
-- Ethernet compatibility
-- IEEE-802.2, IEE-802.3, 10BaseT, 10Base2, and 10Base, UTP
-- 10 Mbps LAN speed
-- Support for TCP/IP, IP, IPX, UDP, and ARP.
-- SNMP network management standards
-- SMTP, telnet, and ftp protocols

Norman Data Defense Systems is a multi-national corporation which focuses on
just one task: defending corporate and government computerized information.
With offices in Europe, North America, Asia, and Australia, and a history of
products dating back to the first computer viruses, Norman is well-positioned to
cope with the growing global threats to computerized information. For more
details, contact Norman Data Defense Systems at Tel: 703-573-8802, Fax:
703-573-3919, BBS: 703-573-8990, Internet: nor...@digex.com, or CompuServe:
100317,353 or GO NORMAN.
NOTE: (A) USA Research surveyed 3,000 companies of all sizes, along with
computer managers at 500 universities, 250 research laboratories, 500 software
companies, 500 governmental organizations, and 250 nonprofit/member
organizations. The results were published in a four- volume, 300-page report
entitled 1992 IPA Computer Virus and Hacker Study (USA Research Inc., 4380 SW
Macadam Ave., Portland, OR 97201-6406, 503-274-6406.

-0- 3/21/95
/CONTACT: Eileen Pacheco, 617-467-1576 or Internet: 491-...@mcimail.com

Marcus J. Ranum

Mar 25, 1995, 2:41:29 PM3/25/95
> "Unlike any firewall on the market today, the Norman Firewall provides much
>more inspection and protection performance than mere packet filtering or
>routing," said Dr. Stang.

...Just about every firewall on the market provides more
inspection and protection than mere packet filtering or routing.
That's why they're called "firewalls". :) ... I just thought
you might like to know.

mjr.