Google Groepen ondersteunt geen nieuwe Usenet-berichten of -abonnementen meer. Historische content blijft zichtbaar.

Uninstalling Zone Alarm

17 weergaven
Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

Mike Perkins

ongelezen,
9 jan 2002, 19:53:2809-01-2002
aan
I am wanting to give TPF a shot and need to uninstall ZA. I have
uninstalled it before and then reinstalled it. I know that I need to
uncheck the "Load ZA at startup" tab and reboot, making sure that True
Vector is unloaded and then uninstall it. I have a couple of questions
though.

1. Should I uninstall using "Add & Remove Programs" or ZA's own
Uninstall feature?

2. And most importantly, what does ZA leave in the registry, and can
anyone tell me exactly what to look for and clean out of the registry.
For some reason I get the feeling that ZA leaves stuff all over the
place, but I may be wrong.

Any help is appreciated and TIA!

Mike, The Kansas Viking!
www.kansasviking.com

David

ongelezen,
9 jan 2002, 20:02:5809-01-2002
aan
Check out Z.A. website for information regarding uninstalling. See link
below
http://zonealarm.com/services/support_install.htm
DC

Bones

ongelezen,
9 jan 2002, 20:16:0409-01-2002
aan
Mike,

Try this
Uninstall Instructions

Shut down ZoneAlarm/ZoneAlarm Pro, run the uninstaller, and reboot.
1. Open the ZoneAlarm/ZoneAlarm Pro program, go to Configure panel, and make
sure the Load At Startup box is UNchecked.

2. Right-click on your taskbar, select Toolbars, and make sure that the
ZoneAlarm/ZoneAlarm Pro deskband is UNchecked as well (if it is checked,
click on it to uncheck it).

If you cannot highlight the Desk Band by right-clicking on the toolbar, then
highlighting Toolbars, try this: Click on the Configure button from the
ZoneAlarm/ZoneAlarm Pro panel, then look for the "Show Shell Toolbar"
checkbox -- make sure that this box is UNchecked.

3. REBOOT.

4. You should now have no ZoneAlarm/ZoneAlarm Pro processes running on your
system.

5. Now run Start, Programs, Zone Labs, Uninstall. Be sure to say YES to
delete all files, and you MUST allow TrueVector service to shut down in
order to remove files.

6. REBOOT.

Verify there are no ZoneAlarm/ZoneAlarm Pro files on your system, empty your
recycle bin, and reboot.
Verify there are no ZoneAlarm/ZoneAlarm Pro files on your system, empty your
recycle bin, and reboot

7. To make sure that you can see the ZoneAlarm/ZoneAlarm Pro system files,
if they are still on your computer:

a. Right-click on My Computer, then left-click on Explore. When the Windows
Explorer panel appears:
- In Windows 95, 98, and NT: Click View>Options (in Windows 98, this will be
called "Folder Options"). Click the "View" tab, then click the "Show all
files" radio button.
- In Windows ME, 2000, and XP: Click Tools>Folder Options. Click the "View"
tab, then click the "Show hidden files and folders" radio button.
b. Click OK.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Making modifications to system files may disable crucial
functions of your Windows operating system. We strongly suggest re-enabling
the "Hide files and folders" feature once all ZoneAlarm/ZoneAlarm Pro files
have been removed.

8. Click on Start, then Search or Find, and select Files. Make sure that the
location box is set to search your local hard drive (usually C:) or All
Local Drives.

Type the following exactly - including any spaces. Delete any folders found:

a.. zonelabs
b.. zone labs
c.. internet logs (NOTE: Your alerts log -- ZALogs.txt will be stored
here. If for any reason you wish to save your alerts log, simply copy this
file to another safe location on your hard drive)
Type the following exactly - delete any of the following files found in
C:\Windows, C:\WINNT, or any subfolder below those, or in your \Temp folder:

a.. vsdata.dll
b.. vsdata95.vxd
c.. vsdatant.vxd
d.. vsmonapi.dll
e.. vsnetutils.dll
f.. vspubapi.dll
g.. vsutil.dll (NOTE: Do not remove this file from any McAfee folders)
Type the following exactly - delete any files found in any folder with
"Programs" in the pathname):

a.. zapro
b.. zonealarm
c.. zonealarm pro
9. Make sure your Recycle Bin is empty (right-click and select Empty).

10. REBOOT

NOTE: If you received an error message upon deleting the files, or if the
original programs remain in the Programs list, or if the problem persists
after this, try removing the items mentioned above AFTER following the steps
below:

a. Reboot your system into either Safe Mode or to a Command Prompt (by
pressing either F8 at the beep when restarting, or holding the Control key
during boot).
b. You should now be able to remove the files specified above.

Remove registry entries (not usually needed).
It is not generally necessary to remove registry entries if reinstalling
ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro. However, should you choose to do so, the
following registry entries are associated with ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro:

Important Advisory: Deleting registry entries incorrectly may cause serious
problems to your operating system (OS) which may necessitate the need to
reinstall the OS. Please make sure you are able to perform these deletions
correctly before you decide to edit the entries.

For information about how to edit the registry in Windows, type
"regedit.exe" from a command prompt. Click "Help," then "Help Topic." Click
"Changing Keys and Values."

Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it.

To enter the registry, go to Start/Run and type: "regedit." Use Control-F to
find and F3 to Find Next.
Registry Entries:

- Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zone Labs and all its subkeys and values.
- Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ZoneA
larm (or ZoneAlarm Pro)

These two registry keys, and all their subkeys, denote the TrueVector
service and the TrueVector device driver:

- Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\vsmon
- Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\vsdatant

This registry key and its subkeys denote ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro's alert
logging service:

- Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\minilog

This is a database that contains a long list of values, but only these
values listed below are related to ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro and
TrueVector. For fastest results, highlight the key below. Click on Edit,
then highlight "Find", and type in the files listed below in the "Find what"
field (make sure that the "Keys", "Values", and "Data" boxes are checked):

- Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs
- Values:

a.. vsdata.dll
b.. vsdatant.sys
c.. vsmonapi.dll
d.. vsnetutils.dll
e.. vsnetu.dll
f.. vspubapi.dll
g.. vsutil.dll
h.. html.tdr
i.. vsdb.dll
j.. minilog.exe
k.. vsmon.exe
l.. vsruledb.dll
Also, remove any value that has a path to C:\Program Files\Zone
Labs\ZoneAlarm\
For each user who has run ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro, there are registry
keys in
- Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs

The following keys allow the user to modify the sound that is played when
there is an alert through use of the Control Panel Sounds applet:

- Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels\InternetAlert
- Key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\InternetAlert\.current

The following keys are related to ZoneAlarm and ZoneAlarm Pro's MailSafe
Feature:

- Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ZAMailSafe

There is a value for the extension of every attachment that ZoneAlarm Pro
quarantines (.vbs, for example). To find the values and keys to delete:

1) Click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
2) Press F3.
3) Type "zamailsafe" in the search field (no quotes).
4) Press F3 to find the next value. An example of the value you will see (on
the right-hand side of the window) would be: ZAMailSafeExt: REG_SZ: {renamed
extension -- zl9, for example).
5) Delete the value. Press "OK" at the prompt.
6) Repeat until there are no more values like the example above. ZoneAlarm
Pro quarantines 37 extensions by default. However, any additional extensions
you may have chosen to quarantine will also be listed in the registry.

There is also a registry key for the extension of every attachment renamed
by ZoneAlarm Pro. The names of the keys will range from .zl0 to .zly. If you
wish, you can follow the instructions above to find the values associated
with these keys. Delete the entire key which contains these values.

For ZoneAlarm (not Pro), The following keys can be removed:

- Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\zl0
- Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ZAMailSafe

"Mike Perkins" <viki...@alltel.net> wrote in message

ßill

ongelezen,
9 jan 2002, 20:19:5609-01-2002
aan
On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 00:53:28 GMT, Mike Perkins <viki...@alltel.net>
spewed forth these words to the group:

If you use the add/remove programs , do a custom uninstall. And use
the select all button in it. It will remove it except for the
C:\windows\internet logs folder. That includes the registry entries.

CONGRESS.SYS Corrupted: Re-boot Washington D.C (Y/N)?

Mike Perkins

ongelezen,
9 jan 2002, 20:46:1809-01-2002
aan
While mourning the loss of John Randle, but cheering on Chris Hovan,
On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 01:16:04 GMT, "Bones" <tomr...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Thanks you very much Bones. This is exactly what I was looking for. I
lurk here all the time and had seen something very similar to this
before, but couldn't find it. I very much appreciate it!

Mike Perkins

ongelezen,
9 jan 2002, 20:51:0609-01-2002
aan
Thanks to all who replied. I am off on the right track now. I
appreciate it!

Bones

ongelezen,
9 jan 2002, 20:58:0109-01-2002
aan
No problem... Good Luck!

"Mike Perkins" <viki...@alltel.net> wrote in message

ßill

ongelezen,
9 jan 2002, 21:18:0909-01-2002
aan
On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 01:51:06 GMT, Mike Perkins <viki...@alltel.net>

spewed forth these words to the group:

>Thanks to all who replied. I am off on the right track now. I

Not a problem, hope it goes well for you.

0 nieuwe berichten