Can I selectively turn off my router's firewall only for certain devices connected to it?

fd9...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2007, 10:47:56 PM11/6/07
Is it possible to selectively disable my router's firewall only for
certain devices connected to it? Let me explain. There are two devices
connected to my router: my computer and a linksys cit400 skype phone.
I use the linksys phone for skype but with the router firewall ON
skype does not function. So can I turn off the firewall for the phone
but not the computer? If so how?

Sebastian G.

Nov 7, 2007, 12:54:29 AM11/7/07
fd9...@gmail.com wrote:

Since you're abusing MSIE as a webbrowser, I doubt that you're seriously
concerned for any security. Just turn it off for all devices.

Leythos

Nov 7, 2007, 6:42:23 AM11/7/07
In article <1194407276....@y27g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,
fd9...@gmail.com says...

That's because Linksys doesn't offer a firewall device.

If you had a firewall you could easily create rules to forward traffic
to your phone and to allow traffic out from it, without compromising
your network.

--

Leythos
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

AMR

Nov 7, 2007, 4:12:06 PM11/7/07

Don't listen to those fools. Your Linksys should allow you to set
forwarding rules or a DMZ bastion host. You can configure the
firewall to make your SKype phone (for example) a host in the 'DMZ.'
While in the DMZ this host (called a bastion host) will pretty much be
open to the Internet.

Granted - the terms used are not really representative of a
traditional/REAL firewall topologies you would find outside of
someone's home but the idea is the same.

Try that and see how it works.

Leythos

Nov 7, 2007, 4:22:55 PM11/7/07
In article <1194469926.5...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
sirus...@gmail.com says...

Yea, and the DMZ is not a real DMZ like a proper firewall would offer.
It's on the same network as the LAN, so there is a good chance that the
LAN computers could be compromised.

What he really wants to do is get a better device, firewall with a real
DMZ, or just setup port forwarding in the LAN to the device.

AMR

Nov 8, 2007, 10:15:44 AM11/8/07
On Nov 7, 3:22 pm, Leythos <v...@nowhere.lan> wrote:
> In article <1194469926.569442.154...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
> sirus.co...@gmail.com says...
> spam999f...@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

It's a freakin' HOME network - there's absolutely no reason why he
needs to go spend $500+ for a more robust firewall when the $100
Linksys does the job.

Leythos

Nov 8, 2007, 1:25:44 PM11/8/07
In article <1194534944.6...@k35g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
sirus...@gmail.com says...

> On Nov 7, 3:22 pm, Leythos <v...@nowhere.lan> wrote:
> > In article <1194469926.569442.154...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
> > sirus.co...@gmail.com says...

> > > Don't listen to those fools. Your Linksys should allow you to set
> > > forwarding rules or a DMZ bastion host. You can configure the
> > > firewall to make your SKype phone (for example) a host in the 'DMZ.'
> > > While in the DMZ this host (called a bastion host) will pretty much be
> > > open to the Internet.
> >
> > > Granted - the terms used are not really representative of a
> > > traditional/REAL firewall topologies you would find outside of
> > > someone's home but the idea is the same.
> >
> > > Try that and see how it works.
> >
> > Yea, and the DMZ is not a real DMZ like a proper firewall would offer.
> > It's on the same network as the LAN, so there is a good chance that the
> > LAN computers could be compromised.
> >
> > What he really wants to do is get a better device, firewall with a real
> > DMZ, or just setup port forwarding in the LAN to the device.
> >

> It's a freakin' HOME network - there's absolutely no reason why he
> needs to go spend $500+ for a more robust firewall when the $100
> Linksys does the job.

How do you know?

--

Leythos
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

spam9...@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

fd9...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2007, 10:41:30 PM11/8/07
On Nov 8, 10:25 am, Leythos <v...@nowhere.lan> wrote:
> In article <1194534944.604392.147...@k35g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
> spam999f...@rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)- Hide quoted text -

Gentlemen (and ladies),

I think there has been some misunderstanding. My router is Belkin Pre-
N F5D8230-4 v2 not linksys (re read my post). Could you explain me
what is DMZ? You may want to see my other thread here:

Message has been deleted

Leythos

Nov 13, 2007, 8:43:05 PM11/13/07
In article <Xns99E7D1222...@69.28.186.158>, chro...@yahoo.com
says...
> AMR <sirus...@gmail.com> wrote in
>

> > It's a freakin' HOME network - there's absolutely no reason why he
> > needs to go spend $500+ for a more robust firewall when the $100
> > Linksys does the job.
> >

> AMR: That dumb german, Sebastian, and his sidekick "Leythos the Clown" always
> do this kind of dance when someone asks a question. It's fun at first, then
> boring, then killfile meat.

No, it's only people that don't want to admit that they have nothing to
protect that keep telling people that a firewall isn't necessary. While
A cheap appliance can e had for about $300, that's the lowest end of
what I've seen that I would ever consider for protecting a computer that
has any personal information on it.

You can live in the dream world where no persons computer is
compromised, where they don't have any information loss, where they
their identity means nothing, but most people don't live in your world.