displacement or position sensors (6 to 10 cm)

Ian Juby

Oct 7, 2002, 7:56:26 PM10/7/02
When you say displacement, you mean like "distance traveled" sensors or
position sensors as in "what position is the base of the arm in?" ? I'm
sorry, I don't understand what you're asking exactly and besides having a few
possible suggestions, I'm curious to see what answers pop up here on the
newsgroup as well.

If it's for distance, probably a mouse wheel sensor might be easiest.
Ridiculously small but not necessarily that hard to use. That's a very small
robot you're building. What about just painting the wheels with a white stripe
on half the wheel, then detect the white stripe with a reflective pair LED /
phototransistor? How accurate would you need to be?

Ian

citi wrote:

> hi I am looking for displacement or position sensors to mount on a small 3
> cm x 2 cm robot.
>
> do you know of any I can use so that the robot (stamp circuit) could
> interface tell position with it.

Phil

Oct 8, 2002, 4:26:03 PM10/8/02
In article <3DA21F2A...@renc.igs.net>, Ian Juby
<ian...@renc.igs.net> mumbled incoherently.....

>When you say displacement, you mean like "distance traveled" sensors or
>position sensors as in "what position is the base of the arm in?" ? I'm
>sorry, I don't understand what you're asking exactly and besides having a few
>possible suggestions, I'm curious to see what answers pop up here on the
>newsgroup as well.

Well if you look in any electronics catalogue for a 'displacement'
transducer, you'll get a thing that looks a little like a mini hydraulic
ram, that gives an electrical output proportional to the position (or
displacement) of the 'piston.
Farnell or RS do quite a few

--
Phil