Hi-Val 2x6 CDR (JVC 2020) and Memorex 2X6 CDRW drives..

1 view

Jeff

Dec 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/30/97

Someone please give me input to these drives. I would prefer to buy the
Hi-Val one, because I do not really need CDRW capability. However, if this
drive really sucks, How is the memorex drive ???
Thanks,
Rapt...@hotmail.com

Ed B

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

In article <01bd14ec$2721b600$642a...@kush.tir.com>,
rapt...@hotmail.com says...

I have a Memorex cr-622 this is not the CDRW unit but I have had nothing
but problems. This is my second unit. As far as I can tell Memorex
doesn't have a web site either.

I have no info on the Hi-Val but after what I have gone through time and
Cd wise, I am going to get a HP or Sony.

EdB

Tazd

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

Try WWW.MEMOREX.COM
Alan

Chris Freyer

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98
In article <MPG.f146f108...@news.ais.net>, Shre...@juno.com (Ed B) wrote: >In article <01bd14ec$2721b600$642a...@kush.tir.com>, >rapt...@hotmail.com says... >> Someone please give me input to these drives. I would prefer to buy the >> Hi-Val one, because I do not really need CDRW capability. However, if this >> drive really sucks, How is the memorex drive ??? >> Thanks, >> Rapt...@hotmail.com >I have a Memorex cr-622 this is not the CDRW unit but I have had nothing >but problems. This is my second unit. As far as I can tell Memorex >doesn't have a web site either. >I have no info on the Hi-Val but after what I have gone through time and >Cd wise, I am going to get a HP or Sony. >EdB In contrast to the above, I have the Memorex CRW-1622 and have not had a single problem with CDR or CDRW media. Have burned 20+ disks (mostly CDRW for practice). Only problems I've had were when I tried to force my P-120 system to do too much at once, like having lots of programs loaded (causing the swapfile to be used heavily) and swapping between them while doing a burn from a virtual image from the same disk. Kind of a no-brainer if you ask me. Granted, this drive is an IDE and you inherit the limitations of the IDE bus with it, but you can hardly blame the drive for those problems. Your best bet is to defrag your disk and buy more RAM (always a good idea, regardless). I couldn't afford to go SCSI, so IDE was my only choice. And when a rewritable came into my price range, I couldn't pass it up. If you have SCSI devices already, then buy SCSI because it makes sense. But I wouldn't do it just to get a CD writer. Besides... blank media cost under $2...you can buy over 100 of 'em with the money you'd save from not going SCSI. IMHO, you can do a lot of practicing on 100 blanks. Understand my justification? One word of advice for anyone else who may be reading.... I just got MS Office '97 and noticed my drive light running almost constantly after the install. Even trashed one of my disk backups. Found out that it places a program called "FastFind" in your startup folder. This little puppy builds an index of all Office files (*.doc, *.xls, etc....) in the root of each of your drives. Don't know how often it runs, but it eats CPU time and causes a lot of disk I/O. Scared me to death the first time I noticed it. Thought my virus scanner had missed a big one! Whew! Anyway, all FastFind does is speed up disk searches within MS Office programs. Most people don't use that capability anyway, so you're better off without it. You can remove it from your startup folder with the Window Explorer and save the disk space and CPU cycles (like MS doesn't eat up enough of those already!). Happy writing--- Chris Freyer ------------------------------------------------------ To email, get rid of all the m's in my email address. You know why they're there.

John Navas

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

[POSTED TO comp.publish.cdrom.hardware]
"Jeff" <rapt...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Someone please give me input to these drives. I would prefer to buy the
>Hi-Val one, because I do not really need CDRW capability. However, if this
>drive really sucks, How is the memorex drive ???

Do yoruself a favor and get a quality drive from a reputable manufacturer
(e.g., Yamaha, Ricoh, etc.)

--
Best regards,
John mailto:JNa...@NavasGrp.Dublin.CA.US http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/

Miguel Amorim

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

On Fri, 02 Jan 1998 17:44:18 GMT, Use...@NavasGrp.Dublin.CA.US (John
Navas) wrote:

>>Someone please give me input to these drives. I would prefer to buy the
>>Hi-Val one, because I do not really need CDRW capability. However, if this
>>drive really sucks, How is the memorex drive ???
>
>Do yoruself a favor and get a quality drive from a reputable manufacturer
>(e.g., Yamaha, Ricoh, etc.)

The Sony 928 is fine.

+---------------------------------------------------------------------
|..Miguel Amorim
|..Internet: mf...@total.net - or - mf...@geocities.com
|..http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/delta/3065
|..http://members.trip od.com/~mfcam
|..Navigator.Eudora.Forte & Secret Agent.ws_ftp.NetTerm.mIRC.Trumpet

nospam

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

On 30 Dec 1997 06:24:43 GMT, "Jeff" <rapt...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Someone please give me input to these drives. I would prefer to buy the
>Hi-Val one, because I do not really need CDRW capability. However, if this
>drive really sucks, How is the memorex drive ???

>Thanks,
>Rapt...@hotmail.com

i got memorex 1622 cdrw for $299, work real well no error so far (over
10 cds , data and cda). media for cdrw cost around $97 for 10 cds
(search for ESP, it will guide you to vendor had cdrw media for under
$10.)

memorex also had multi-read cdrom and it read cdrw media disk like
cdrw

Jack M. Dembicky

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

I purchased a Hi-Val 2x6 CD-R about 2 months ago (about a week before all of
the new CD-RW hit the market :( ). The drive included was the Sony CDU-926S
drive, Adaptec AVA-1505 SCSI card (maybe AHA-1505), and Easy-CD Pro V2.0
Software (get update from Adaptec free to V2.11). I think that Hi-Val made two
of the "same" 2x6 CD-R kits (one with the JVC drive and another with the Sony
CDU-926S, pay attention to the box).

I haven't had any problems with the Sony drive writing data CD's (reading them
back on one of my drives did give me a problem with one file but that was a
problem with the reader, it was written at 2x also). Haven't written any audio
disks yet with it though.

The Sony drive also only does Track at once writes, I believe (which can affect
Audio CDs, so I am told). I've read both good and bad reports that the drive
can actually write an Audio CD fine (without the usually a slight "pop" sound
is heard between tracks due to TAO recording).

Hope that helps

Jack

John Navas

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

mf...@bigfoot.com (Miguel Amorim) wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Jan 1998 17:44:18 GMT, Use...@NavasGrp.Dublin.CA.US (John

>Navas) wrote:
>
>>>Someone please give me input to these drives. I would prefer to buy the
>>>Hi-Val one, because I do not really need CDRW capability. However, if this
>>>drive really sucks, How is the memorex drive ???
>>

>>Do yoruself a favor and get a quality drive from a reputable manufacturer
>>(e.g., Yamaha, Ricoh, etc.)
>
>The Sony 928 is fine.

Last I heard, Sony had dropped DAO from its drives, which would keep me
from recommending it.

Miguel Amorim

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

On Sun, 04 Jan 1998 19:35:29 GMT, Use...@NavasGrp.Dublin.CA.US (John
Navas) wrote:

>>>Do yoruself a favor and get a quality drive from a reputable manufacturer
>>>(e.g., Yamaha, Ricoh, etc.)
>>
>>The Sony 928 is fine.
>
>Last I heard, Sony had dropped DAO from its drives, which would keep me
>from recommending it.

Who needs DAO?! Not me.

To each their own.

SCSI has advantages and EIDE also has advantages.

It's a comprehensive decision of money, and features. Make your
pick.

JCDillow

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

I have a Memorec 1622 CDRW and the only problems were of my making. I have
burned maybe 20 CD's and not one coaster even when downling off the net while
burning. Software is Easy CD Creator Delux 3.01a.