Ignore leap second announcement on NTP

Santi Saez

Aug 21, 2012, 6:34:36 AM8/21/12
Hello,

Is there any proper way to configure ntpd in order to ignore leap second
announcements from remote NTP servers?

I have tried configuring leapfile/ntpkey_leap features in order to use
local configuration, but if the remote NTP server announces a leap
second it's forwarded to the client, and that's what I want to avoid.

Santi Saez

Dave Hart

Aug 21, 2012, 9:35:09 AM8/21/12
Configuring a leapfile works here, using 4.2.7, to force a local leap
configuration that ignores upstream leap bits. I expect the same is
true of 4.2.6. I'm afraid I have no information on 4.2.4 or earlier
leap behavior, as I haven't used 4.2.4 in a number of years.

Cheers,
Dave Hart

Santi Saez

Aug 22, 2012, 9:10:16 AM8/22/12
El 21/08/12 15:35, Dave Hart escribió:

> Configuring a leapfile works here, using 4.2.7, to force a local leap
> configuration that ignores upstream leap bits. I expect the same is
> true of 4.2.6. I'm afraid I have no information on 4.2.4 or earlier
> leap behavior, as I haven't used 4.2.4 in a number of years.

I've been playing with different ntpd versions and those are the results:

- 4.2.4p4 (Debian Lenny) = not working
- 4.2.4p8 (CentOS-6) = not working
- 4.2.6p2 (Debian Squeeze) = works
- 4.2.6p5 (latest production release) = works
- 4.2.7p295 (latest development release) = works

Seems that versions after 4.2.6, where "leapfile" was introduced in
order to deploy leap seconds, can overwrite/ignore remote announcement
setting local configuration, but it doesn't work for previous versions
(4.2.4 branch) where ntpkey_leap feature is used.

I might use 4.2.6+, but the problem is that I need a scenario where I
can configure a "master" ntpd and forward this config to the "clients",
and this doesn't work with version, only works on 4.2.4, see my previous
post:

http://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/questions/2012-August/033774.html

In summary: I need a ntpd version where I can ignore leap seconds
announcements (works with +4.2.6) and forward "leap second" fields to
the clients (currently *only working* on 4.2.4), thanks!!

Regards,

Santi Saez