Patch for FAST TCP

Siddharth Jain

Oct 22, 2006, 8:17:15 PM10/22/06

Till some time back, a patch for FAST TCP was available for download
from the Caltech website. This has, however, been removed now.
If someone could point me to a place from where I can download this, I
would be grateful!

Regards,
Siddharth

Le Chaud Lapin

Oct 23, 2006, 2:32:49 PM10/23/06

The link was removed because dial-up users were complaining that, every
time they tried to download the patch, gigabits of data per second
bombarded and crashed their machines using FAST technology. So to
protect these dial-up users, Caltech removed the link. ;)

Seriously, I'm glad this subject has been broached again, as it allows
me to rant on the irresponsibility of Caltech in the manner in which
they published their research.

"Imagine an internet connection so fast it will let you download a
whole movie in just five seconds, or access TV-quality video servers in
real time. That is the promise from a team at the California Institute
of Technology in Pasadena, who have developed a system called Fast
TCP."

Five seconds! Wow! Shannon would be so pleased!

I think Caltech itself was partly responsible for the gross
mischaracterization of their research and its subsequent
misinterpretation by the public. People who are not technologists are
just as naive to this type of marketing as many of us would be to brain
surgery, and Caltech should have known this when they introduced their
work. The should have stated the truth simply: "No, grandma will not
get 900 mbits/s over her old 9600 baud Hayes modem. To get 900
mbits/s, it will help significantly if you already have a 900 mbit/s
link to your house."

Their portrayal of their work was simply irresponsible.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Reference: http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn3799