Help, unable to ppp with our server.

1 view

James Kovaly

Mar 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/26/96

I have done some extensive testing with different implementations of PPP v.s
different terminal servers. I have run into problems with similiar symptoms
as yours although with slightly different environments. Most of the problems
occur because of improper (or non-compatible) implementations of the PPP
negotiation used to determine authentication parameters (PAP/CHAP or other).

see RFC #1663, #1661, #1334

Using a PPP monitor I have seen several sessions appear to authenticate as you
have described below but fail after the session starts. Remember that many
times the password that you enter when you first connect is usually just used
to provide access to the terminal server, PAP/CHAP password authentication
occurs after that. The low cost PPP analyzer I used is from Klos Technologies
(www.klos.com).

jko...@mindspring.com
James Kovaly
Network Design Engineer
BELLSOUTH CELLULAR

In article <rejean.blais-1...@zac001p15.zone.ca>
rejean...@zone.ca (Rejean Blais) writes:>From: rejean...@zone.ca (Rejean
Blais)>Subject: Help, unable to ppp with our server.>Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996
23:19:32 +0100