``Amd'' - An Automounter

Jan-Simon Pendry

Dec 1, 1989, 11:18:51 AM12/1/89
``Amd'' is now available.

Amd is a value-added replacement for the SunOS 4 automount(8)
program. Though based on that program in spirit, it contains no
proprietary UN*X source code.

Amd is NOT in the Public Domain. It is distributed under terms
similar to the Berkeley Networking release.

The version being distributed is release 5.1b. Versions distributed by
Berkeley will have a BSD SCCS Id. Versions distributed by me do not.
Check the time stamps to determine the lineage.

Amd is believed to work correctly on Sun-3's (SunOS 3.5 and 4.0),
Sun-4's (SunOS 4.0), HP-9000/300 (HP-UX 6.x & MORE/bsd), IBM RT PCs
(ACIS 4.3), VAXen (Ultrix 2.2, 3.0 & MORE/bsd), Mac-II (A/UX), Orion
1/05 (OTS) and Acorn Archimedes (RISC iX). It may work on other UN*X
variants -- please feel free to try a port, but be sure to send me a
record of the changes you had to make.

There has been a high demand for pre-release versions of Amd so this
first release is being made as widely available as possible. Amd can
be obtained through any of the following channels:

1. On the Internet Amd is available via anonymous FTP from host
usc.edu, file "/pub/amd/amd.tar.Z". The LaTeX documentation is
also available preformatted in PostScript in the file
"/pub/amd/amd-doc.PS.Z".

2. In the UK on JANET or PSS via Public NIFTP from host
uk.ac.ic.doc.src file "<PUB>Amd/amd.tar.Z". The documentation is
also available in PostScript in the file "<PUB>Amd/amd-doc.PS.Z".

3. Within the UK *only* via email from info-...@doc.ic.ac.uk. Send
a message with the body:
topic: sources
request: amd
topic: end

4. On EUnet Amd is available from mcsun.eu.net:
4a. On InterEUnet Amd is available via anonymous FTP from
host mcsun.eu.net, file "amd-5.1.1.5.tar.Z".
4b. Dutch users *only* can pick it up via UUCP from site hp4nl,
file "amd-5.1.1.5.tar.Z".
4c. Other EUnet users will have to ask their national backbone site to
fetch it either by FTP or UUCP from mcsun.

5. Amd has been submitted to comp.sources.unix.

6. Elsewhere - I guess you need to ask someone covered by 1-5 to get
you a copy.

Tape distributions are available within the UK - more details from the
info-server.

Please forward *all* bug reports to Jan-Simon Pendry by email
<j...@doc.ic.ac.uk> or <..ukc!icdoc!jsp> quoting the details of the
release and your configuration, which can be obtained by running the
command "amd -v". Thanks.

Since this is the first general release the documentation may not be
fully up to date or complete. If you have any questions do not
hesitate to send email.

The Amd configuration language compiler will be released in due
course.
--
Jan-Simon.

Karl Kleinpaste

Dec 2, 1989, 3:35:13 PM12/2/89
j...@doc.ic.ac.uk writes:
``Amd'' is now available.
Amd is a value-added replacement for the SunOS 4 automount(8)
program....Amd can be obtained through any of the following channels:
1...

6. Elsewhere - I guess you need to ask someone covered by 1-5 to get
you a copy.

6a. Amd is available via UUCP from osu-cis. See instructions for
access to osu-cis posted periodically in comp.sources.d, and request:
osu-cis!~/amd/amd.tar.Z
osu-cis!~/amd/amd-doc.PS.Z

Cheers,
--Karl