What has happened to .COM ?

Chris Teakle

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

Lots of .COM domains seem to have disappeared. Is this a result
of the AlterNIC spoofing attack?

When I query the COM authoritative nameservers with some sample
domains I get different answers depending on who I ask.
Sometimes a proper answer, somtimes NOERROR with an empty answer,
sometimes NXDOMAIN.

E.g. "dig @A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET digital.com. ns" gives a proper
answer, but B thru G return NXDOMAIN.
H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET returns a proper answer.

Similarly with vix.com I get a proper answer from A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
and H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET, but B thru G return NOERROR with an empty
answer.

I think I'm using the correct addresses for A-H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET,
but I'm beginning to wonder how much I can trust anything in .NET ...

----
Chris Teakle
Prentice Centre, University of Qld, Australia

Merton Campbell Crockett

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

No. It's the result of the InterNIC releasing zone files with errors and
time delays in propagating corrected zone files to the root servers.

Merton Campbell Crockett

That Funky Chick

Jul 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/20/97

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997 11:24:28 -0700 (PDT), Merton Campbell Crockett
<m...@WLV.IIPO.GTEGSC.COM> wrote:

>No. It's the result of the InterNIC releasing zone files with errors and
>time delays in propagating corrected zone files to the root servers.

There was an article about it in Computer Risks Digest; the archive of that
issue is at http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/19.25.html , or FTP at
ftp://ftp.sri.com/risks (vol. 19.25).

-Bertha
ber...@polly.mhn.org

BLAM! Make peculiar patterns in MY wheat field, will ya?!