Variation on the reset serial theme

James Wilde

Nov 18, 2002, 11:47:24 AM11/18/02

Please post replies only to the group. This mail comes from an
account which does not accept incoming mail.

Standard problem. We use CCYYMMDD##. All fine and dandy. Add
2147483647 and subtract 4294967296 if the result is over 4294967295.

Problem is that I accidentally used CCYYMMDD###, so even when I have
subtracted 4294967296, the number exceeds 4294967295. I have to
subtract 4294967296 several times before I get a number that is under
the magic limit.

I saw a message from Katharine somthing from 1997 saying that one must
do the first addition and subtraction and use the result as a serial
number, wait for all slaves to react, repeat the addition and
subtraction, wait again, and so on until one has a serial under the
limit. Is this so, or can I make several subtractions in one go and
use the result?

We're presently using version 8, upgrading later today to 9.

TIA

James

Simon Waters

Nov 18, 2002, 12:10:06 PM11/18/02

James Wilde wrote:

> Problem is that I accidentally used CCYYMMDD###

If you are happy with the normal serial number correction, just
query the servers for the SOA, as that should be the correct
mapping from the number you gave into the range it should be,
and is thus the first number to start with.

I had to do this repeatedly somewhere that had used exactly that
scheme before they could upgrade to 9 zzZZzzZZ. Look in the
archive for serial.c for the arithmetically challenged, but this
only works with numbers in range I think.

Is that CCYY or YYYY? As I know at least one encoding scheme
that came unraveled last century when someone interpretted CC as
century and programmed it as 2095, when the continental authors
of similar software read it as a four digit year and coded 1995
;-)

Simon Waters

Nov 18, 2002, 12:17:05 PM11/18/02

Gregory Hicks

Nov 18, 2002, 12:29:16 PM11/18/02

I did this once't... (Dog-gone fat fingers!)

Just set the TTL and related numbers to a REAL small number, waited for it to
propogate (1 hour), then changed the serial number to the real number and waited
for this to time out as well. Use the formula to calculate smallest set of
times you can use... It is possible to get it below an hour.

Bumped the serial number as well as putting the real SOA back in, and Voila!
things working again.

YMMV, as this was my experience...

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

> To: comp-protoc...@isc.org
> From: n...@glocalnet.com (James Wilde)
> Subject: Variation on the reset serial theme
> Date: 18 Nov 2002 01:50:07 -0800

Gregory Hicks | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems | Direct: 408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1 | Fax: 408.894.3400
San Jose, CA 95134 | Internet: ghi...@cadence.com

"The trouble with doing anything right the first time is that nobody
appreciates how difficult it was."

When a team of dedicated individuals makes a commitment to act as
one... the sky's the limit.

You can have it done good, fast, or cheap -- pick any two.

Nov 19, 2002, 3:18:24 AM11/19/02

in comp.protocols.dns.bind i read:

>Standard problem. We use CCYYMMDD##.

>Problem is that I accidentally used CCYYMMDD###,

if your slaves are all under your direct control via ndc then you can just
fix the file then ``ndc reload zone'' on the master then on all the slaves.
(that is if i'm remembering correctly, the slaves won't be refreshing the
zones, they will unconditionally axfr the zone from the master.)