multiple domains on same ip adresses

Michael Griffin

Aug 22, 2006, 2:15:00 PM8/22/06
After searching the archives, I could not find what I am trying to do.

I have two registered domains: foosol.com and foosolutions.com. All
of my servers are named after foosol.com. In my named.conf, I have a
foosol.com zone with the corresponding zone and reverse files. My
supervisor desires to have, at the very least, our DNS rseolve our
mail server as mail.foosol.com and mail.foosolutions.com. Can I use
aliases (CNAMES)in my zone and reverse files or do I need to add a new
zone with zone and reverse files?

Thanks,

Michael

Jeff Lightner

Aug 22, 2006, 2:42:00 PM8/22/06
Easier than that - you can create an aliases file for your main domain:

In named.conf:

zone "foosolutions.com" {
type master;
file "foosol-aliases";
};

(Other options in the zone like which ACL is allowed to do transfers for
your slave servers - model the options on the zone entry for foosol.com
itself.)

Your aliases file, foosol-aliases, goes in the same location as your
zones and would look something like:

@ IN SOA dns1.foosol.com. postmaster.foosol.com. (
2006032501 ; serial
10800 ; refresh
3600 ; retry
604800 ; expire
86400 ) ; Minimun TTL
;
; Name Servers
;
IN NS dns1.foosol.com.
IN NS dns2.foosol.com.
;
; Mail Servers
;
IN MX 10 smtp.foosol.com.
;
; Addresses
;
localhost IN A 127.0.0.1
;
@ IN A xx.xx.xx.xx
;
www IN A xx.xx.xx.xx
mail IN A xx.xx.xx.xx
;

Where xx.xx.xx.xx would be the relevant IPs.

A lookup for foosolutions.com's MX record would return the one you have
listed here even though it is really pointing to smtp.foosol.com.

Of course you'd have to enable the mail server itself to recognize smtp
records for foosolutions.com. I know it can be done in Exchange because
we just added one for a new domain. I assume it can be done in
sendmail on the theory that M$ wouldn't be able to do anything that
opensource doesn't do better.

The reverse lookups however would report the foosol.com domain.

If you really need a reverse that reports the other domain you need to
have a different IP and a different zone file that specifies that IP.
In the new zone I mentioned in the prior paragraph we did exactly that.
My boss didn't want our main domain associated in any way with the new
domain for fear spam blockers would block our main domain due to the
ebills being sent out. (We use the new domain exclusively for the
ebills.)

Joseph S D Yao

Aug 22, 2006, 6:31:51 PM8/22/06
On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 02:15:00PM -0400, Michael Griffin wrote:
> After searching the archives, I could not find what I am trying to do.
>
> I have two registered domains: foosol.com and foosolutions.com. All
> of my servers are named after foosol.com. In my named.conf, I have a
> foosol.com zone with the corresponding zone and reverse files. My
> supervisor desires to have, at the very least, our DNS rseolve our
> mail server as mail.foosol.com and mail.foosolutions.com. Can I use
> aliases (CNAMES)in my zone and reverse files or do I need to add a new
> zone with zone and reverse files?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

You only have one reverse DNS zone for the set of IP addresses, not two.
You really should only have one PTR record per IP address. It's not
illegal to have more than one, but applications expect one.

If you already have your DNS set up for both foosol.com and
foosolutions.com, you can just add an MX record in the foosolutions.com
domain that points to foosol.com's mail server. In that mail server's
'sendmail' or 'postfix' configuration, allow it to accept e-mail for
both domains, or possibly to do different things for e-mail to the two
domains. If you want CNAMEs from one domain pointing to the other,
that's certainly possible.

If you want the two domains to be identical, then here's a trick. On
the name server with the master copy, use the same file. On the name
server with copies of the zone slaved from the master copy, you will
have to use two different file names so they don't overwrite each other.

--
Joe Yao

Michael Griffin

Aug 24, 2006, 9:08:43 AM8/24/06

Thanks for the help guys. That appears to have worked.

-- Michael