Query/Retrieve level question

Bernd Kuemmerlen

Sep 19, 2003, 4:16:52 AM9/19/03
I have a question about the query retrieve levels and the patient root
and study root models, I tried to get the answer from the standard, but it
seems a bit vague to me...

The question is:
Is it correct (as I assume) that a study level request works basically the
same regardless if using the patient root or the study root level?

I know that for a patient root query, I have to include the unique key for
the patient level (i.e. the PatientID), but when I want to fetch
information about studies for a specific patient, I would guess that

findscu -P -k 0008,0052=STUDY -k 0010,0010=PATNAME -aec QUERY_AET localhost 104

(patient root model, study level query, query key patient name PATNAME)

and

findscu -S -k 0008,0052=STUDY -k 0010,0010=PATNAME -aec QUERY_AET localhost 104

(study root model, study level query, query key patient name PATNAME)
are equivalent, but I fear that I am missing a basic distinction between
these two.

Could anybody shed some light on this issue?

Thanks
Bernd

T Kantchev

Sep 22, 2003, 4:06:01 PM9/22/03
Dear Bernd,
These are not equivalent. In fact Patient Name is not allowed in Patient
Root Study Level query, since Patient ID is a unique key at the root level,
which selects a single patient. At Study level of Patient Root query you
only select a subset of studies, belonging to that patient. Therefore, your
second query identifier is invalid.

See PS 3.4 Annex C, Section C.4.1.2.1:

"The Identifier contained in a C-FIND request shall contain a single value
in the Unique Key for each level above the Query/Retrieve level. No Required
or Optional Keys shall be specified, which are associated with levels above
the Query/Retrieve level."

Todd

"Bernd Kuemmerlen" <bkue...@gmx.net> wrote in message

Bernd Kuemmerlen

Sep 23, 2003, 3:21:53 AM9/23/03
to...@kantchev.co.uk, who claims to be "T Kantchev", wrote:
> Dear Bernd,
> These are not equivalent. In fact Patient Name is not allowed in Patient
> Root Study Level query, since Patient ID is a unique key at the root level,
> which selects a single patient. At Study level of Patient Root query you
> only select a subset of studies, belonging to that patient. Therefore, your
> second query identifier is invalid.
>
> See PS 3.4 Annex C, Section C.4.1.2.1:
>
> "The Identifier contained in a C-FIND request shall contain a single value
> in the Unique Key for each level above the Query/Retrieve level. No Required
> or Optional Keys shall be specified, which are associated with levels above
> the Query/Retrieve level."
>
> Todd

Ahh, I see, thanks for this clarification, I now begin to see the
difference. Even though this is written down in the standard, it is
sometimes very hard to grasp, so a more verbose description like you gave
is very helpful.

Cheers
Bernd

--
"The first discovery I'd like to present here is an algorithm for lazy
evaluation of research papers. Just write whatever you want and don't