Brief vZOOM Licensing Model Intro...

Chris Thomasson

May 2, 2007, 2:19:49 AM5/2/07
I am planning on posting a complete users guide to the vZOOM Licensing Model
(e.g., pdf), a way to get in touch with myself, and my Company's
representatives. I think its time to provide the library to a broader set of
individuals. Therefore, I am going to actually provide a license! I know
that many people have get frustrated with the extremely unclear licensing
terms of my experimental pre-alpha AppCore library prototype, perhaps I can
turn them on to a commercial quality library they can trust.

All aspects of any license commercial agreement can be customized to your
companies specific needs, and of course, be kept private. For instance, if
we have some discussions and I agree to give you a special discount because
of a financial situation your company may be in, or anything else like that,
well, I want that transaction to be private. It's nobody else's business
IMHO. Period. That's that way I want to sell highly critical, high-end
software. I want to be able to provide it to all sorts of businesses. If
that means giving small companies the ability to work out deals that a
enterprise can't realize with the license model, well, so be it.

--------

Super-Brief Pseudo-Sketch of vZOOM License Proposal:

1. Evaluation Licensing
___________________________________
If you want an evaluation license I can provide you with all of the
binaries, API documentation, Practical API Usage Pattern Guide and a License
that will last 4 months for a fair price, IMHO, of $75.00. The license will
allow you to create some software with the library so that you can decide if
it's right for your companies' applications. If you think its going to be
worth your wile and your indeed decide to acquire any one of the vZOOM
commercial licenses within the 4-month evaluation period I will give you a
$200.00 discount for small business licenses, and $500.00 off an enterprise
license. Source code is not offered for evaluation.

This is a better deal than some of the stuff that other vendors are asking
for:

http://order.kagi.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?storeID=6FCXW&&

There asking $3295.00 for a 3-month evaluation license. Well, humm.

2. Commercial Licensing
___________________________________
If you are interested in using vZOOM commercially I can provide you with a
negotiable and mutually beneficial quote for a license to a complete highly
optimized packaged solution in the form of a shared library, a coherent API,
which includes robust access into the per-thread memory allocator I
invented; here is a brief description and some actual pseudo-code sketch in
C:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.arch/browse_frm/thread/24c40d42a04ee855/

This can turn out to be beneficial to all sorts of multi-threaded
applications because the allocator I invented is one of the fastest designs
out there, even beats Hoard, no kidding! The license period for any
commercial package is 3 years, and any small business package lasts 5 years.
You will get a $125.00 discount for small business licenses and a $500.00
discount for enterprise licenses if you decide to renew the license after it
expires.

2.1 Small Business Licensing
___________________________________
If you want a small business license I can provide you with all of the
binaries, API documentation, Practical API Usage Pattern Guide and a License
that will last 5 years, a fairly decent price IMHO, of $2750.00 minus any
discounts you have acquired. You will get a $250.00 discount for small
business if you decide to renew the license after it expires. The terms that
dictate whether or not you are a small business or an enterprise varies from
business deal to business deal. I believe in working something out and
trying to keep the details completely private and localized to both our
Company's representatives and respective legal counsel. For instance, if
your company ships multiple products that gain millions of dollars in sales
on a worldwide scale and on an annual basis, well, you might be an
enterprise. Otherwise, you might be a small business. IMHO, it should all be
worked out on a case-by-case basis.

Modifying vZOOM source code for small business distribution involves a
$500.00 charge, hiring a consultant and at least keeping him in the loop and
allowing him to view your modifications if he so chooses. This is more of a
liability thing than anything else... I don't want somebody to modify the
vZOOM source for production use and make a very slight mistake. You know,
the kind of mistake that could take up to 9 months of flawless behavior,
only to end up crashed in multiple sites at the same exact time during an
exceptional period of load... You know, the times your customers depend on
your software the most... IMHO, your company should want to make sure that
the product they purchase the power to modify is worth their time and
energy... Well, sadly, a lot of programmers out there don't have a firm
grasp of what it takes to actually go ahead and implement lock-free
algorithm(s) on multiple architectures... Therefore, I think that if any
company provides their customers with source code to lock-free algorithms,
well, they better at least offer consulting services. Even if it means that
your company could only work with two clients at a time simply because you
did not have enough experts on staff, so be it... IMVHO, it worth it in the
long run. You build reputation of focusing your company's experts on a
select number of clients. You only serve what you can safely handle. Its not
only a good business practice, it also a possible marketing opportunity.

2.2 Enterprise Licensing
___________________________________
If you want a worldwide enterprise business license I can provide you with
all of the binaries, API documentation, Practical API Usage Pattern Guide
and a License that will last 3 years for a price of $12, 500.00 minus any
discounts you have acquired. You will get a $750.00 discount for enterprise
licenses if you decide to renew the license after it expires.

Modifying vZOOM source code for large-scale commercial distribution involves
a $2500.00 charge, hiring a consultant and at least keeping him in the loop
and allowing him to view your modifications if he so chooses. This is more
of a liability thing than anything else...

3. Academic Licensing
___________________________________
I can grant you special discounted academic access to vZOOM binaries if you
can prove you are a student that is interested in multi-threaded
programming. If you put me in contact with your professor, perhaps we can
work something out that involves providing your school with discounted
access to the full binaries, source code, a written up presentation and an
understanding that if your schools students want to use something
commercially, they either have to use the knowledge the school provides to
invent something novel. Of course they could always decide to exercise the
good business since that the school should be providing them in order to
learn how to examine and create a plurality of mutually beneficial business
agreements that may, or may not, make smart use of somebody else's
established hard work(s).

I hope I don't get killfiled for this spam; but, IMVHO, somebody may be able
to actually "benefit" from it?

:^)

Any thoughts?

If your company read something like this wrt a brief software licensing
model/outline, well, would they laugh like hell, wad it up and proceed to
wipe their A$$'es with it? I understand that software licensing can somewhat
similar to discussing politics' while your drunk at a party full of
strangers, and of course somebody will eventually bring up patents and cause
a previously aggravated person to get real pissed off and wield their
various verbal weapons.

----
P.S.

Products, Licenses and Contact Information will be packaged into a website
that will be fully available within 2 months.

Chris Thomasson

May 2, 2007, 4:22:08 AM5/2/07
"Chris Thomasson" <cri...@comcast.net> wrote in message
[...]

> This can turn out to be beneficial to all sorts of multi-threaded
> applications because the allocator I invented is one of the fastest
> designs out there, even beats Hoard, no kidding! The license period for
> any commercial package is 3 years,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

that was suppose to be 'enterprise package'.

> and any small business package lasts 5 years. You will get a $125.00
> discount for small business licenses and a $500.00 discount for enterprise
> licenses if you decide to renew the license after it expires.

[...]

Chris Thomasson

May 2, 2007, 4:28:50 AM5/2/07
> If you want a small business license I can provide you with all of the
> binaries, API documentation, Practical API Usage Pattern Guide

Abridged versions of the API documentation and Usage Pattern guide will be
provided for free on the site.

Dmitriy Vyukov

May 3, 2007, 4:57:11 PM5/3/07

And what about performance benchmarks?
I thinks that you must provide show of strength of the beast :)

Dmitriy V'jukov

Chris Thomasson

May 3, 2007, 5:37:20 PM5/3/07
"Dmitriy Vyukov" <dvy...@gmail.com> wrote in message

But of course!

How about the $$$ aspect of it? Do you think is to expensive?

Chris Thomasson

May 4, 2007, 3:42:06 AM5/4/07
"Dmitriy Vyukov" <dvy...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 2 май, 12:28, "Chris Thomasson" <cris...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> > If you want a small business license I can provide you with all of the
>> > binaries, API documentation, Practical API Usage Pattern Guide
>>
>> Abridged versions of the API documentation and Usage Pattern guide will
>> be
>> provided for free on the site.
>
> And what about performance benchmarks?
[...]

Well, the vZOOM memory allocator performance numbers are going to be
impressive indeed. If you don't want to use PDR, well, the memory allocator
will be useful. It can most likely render your application's allocation
calls into a high-performance, scaleable operations.

I think since PDR is not well known, the memory allocator is going to be the
initial selling point as far as the commercial product most import assets..

Dmitriy Vyukov

May 4, 2007, 4:12:25 AM5/4/07
On May 4, 1:37 am, "Chris Thomasson" <cris...@comcast.net> wrote:

> How about the $$$ aspect of it? Do you think is to expensive?

That don't goes for me. Maybe I can say something about algorithm or
implementation, but not bout $$$ :)
If I need such thing and it is chargeable - I try to implement it
myself - at least for interest :)

Dmitriy V'jukov

Chris Thomasson

May 10, 2007, 3:20:25 AM5/10/07
"Dmitriy Vyukov" <dvy...@gmail.com> wrote in message

No problem!

Well, try to imagine if you were responsible for acquiring top notch
software licenses for an relatively; ould you consider my library, wrt its
$$$ cost amount????

Chris Thomasson

May 10, 2007, 3:23:38 AM5/10/07
[...]

>>> How about the $$$ aspect of it? Do you think is to expensive?
>>
>> That don't goes for me. Maybe I can say something about algorithm or
>> implementation, but not bout $$$ :)
>> If I need such thing and it is chargeable - I try to implement it
>> myself - at least for interest :)
>
> No problem!
>
> Well, try to imagine if you were responsible for acquiring top notch
> software licenses for an relatively; ould you consider my library, wrt its
> $$$ cost amount????

Damn....

Let me try to rephrase the question:

Well, try to imagine if you were responsible for acquiring top notch

software licenses for an relatively small company; could you consider my

Dmitriy Vyukov

May 10, 2007, 4:32:01 AM5/10/07
On 10 май, 11:23, "Chris Thomasson" <cris...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Well, try to imagine if you were responsible for acquiring top notch
> software licenses for an relatively small company; could you consider my
> library, wrt its
> $$$ cost amount?

You know, in Russia you don't have to pay for software... You just go
to the pirate market and by all those Win..., Visual Studio, Mega CAD
system, and all other stuff on one DVD for just $4. And all software
is Enterprise-Premium-Maximum-Plus version because all versions cost
$4 anyway...
So here people will think like this - How much this man wants for his
library? $3000? May be he means $3, not $3000... $3 - is the price
that I can pay for his library... especially his library seems
worthwhile... but... anyway I don't have credit card that is
acceptable on Internet... so I just browse the Web and download pirate
version of his library for free...
:)))

Dmitriy V'jukov

Chris Thomasson

May 10, 2007, 4:40:53 AM5/10/07

> On 10 май, 11:23, "Chris Thomasson" <cris...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Well, try to imagine if you were responsible for acquiring top notch
>> software licenses for an relatively small company; could you consider my
>> library, wrt its
>> $$$ cost amount?
>
> You know, in Russia you don't have to pay for software... You just go
> to the pirate market and by all those Win..., Visual Studio, Mega CAD
> system, and all other stuff on one DVD for just $4.

Wow!

> And all software
> is Enterprise-Premium-Maximum-Plus version because all versions cost
> $4 anyway...
> So here people will think like this - How much this man wants for his
> library? $3000? May be he means $3, not $3000... $3 - is the price
> that I can pay for his library... especially his library seems
> worthwhile... but... anyway I don't have credit card that is
> acceptable on Internet... so I just browse the Web and download pirate
> version of his library for free...
> :)))

Well, SHIT HAPPENS!

:^)

Chris Thomasson

May 10, 2007, 4:44:27 AM5/10/07
"Dmitriy Vyukov" <dvy...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On 10 май, 11:23, "Chris Thomasson" <cris...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Well, try to imagine if you were responsible for acquiring top notch
>> software licenses for an relatively small company; could you consider my
>> library, wrt its
>> $$$ cost amount?
>
> You know, in Russia you don't have to pay for software... You just go
> to the pirate market

[...]

Not too sure how wise a business decision that could expose your 100%
legitimate company to possible illegality is???

:^(...

Chris Thomasson

May 10, 2007, 5:34:07 AM5/10/07
If you do decide to expose your business to corrupt practices and rip me
off, at least I hope that you will make enough $$$ to be able to feed your
family for years on end!

So be it.

:^)

Chris Thomasson

May 21, 2007, 3:00:23 AM5/21/07
"Dmitriy Vyukov" <dvy...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On 10 май, 11:23, "Chris Thomasson" <cris...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Well, try to imagine if you were responsible for acquiring top notch
>> software licenses for an relatively small company; could you consider my
>> library, wrt its
>> $$$ cost amount?
>
> You know, in Russia you don't have to pay for software...

Well, Dmitriy, could you let us all know that you don't prescribe any
activities which may involve a some rouge software pirates?

IMHO, you seem like a talented programmer. Skilled in the art of
multithreading.

Chris Thomasson

May 21, 2007, 3:04:01 AM5/21/07
"Chris Thomasson" <cri...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Well, scratch the work "seem", and replace it with are?

humm... Well, at least I think the word 'seem' should be replaced with the
word: 'are'. I think so.

Welcome to comp.programming.threads.

Dmitriy Vyukov

May 22, 2007, 7:37:13 AM5/22/07
On 21 май, 11:00, "Chris Thomasson" <cris...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Well, Dmitriy, could you let us all know that you don't prescribe any
> activities which may involve a some rouge software pirates?

:)

I don't prescribe any activities which may involve a some rouge
software pirates.
Word of honour!
I don't have any relation to them.

Dmitriy V'jukov

Dmitriy Vyukov

May 22, 2007, 7:56:53 AM5/22/07
On 21 май, 11:04, "Chris Thomasson" <cris...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > IMHO, you seem like a talented programmer.
>
> Well, scratch the work "seem", and replace it with are?
>
> humm... Well, at least I think the word 'seem' should be replaced with the
> word: 'are'. I think so.
>
> Welcome to comp.programming.threads.

[shuffle]

Dmitriy V'jukov