[RFC] Lock-Free Proxy Garbage Collector...

Chris Thomasson

Sep 9, 2006, 2:12:07 AM9/9/06
Again, no lengthy white papers yet... Here is the first full blown
implementation of one version of my 100% lock-free proxy garbage collector:

http://home.comcast.net/~vzoom/demos/pc_sample.c
(this example code uses x86 and MSAM inline assembly, I have this is GAS x86
and SPARC 32/64 assembly...)

This started off as a testing benchmark against SMR, RCU and some of my
other collectors, but I now have this incorporated into my library. This
proxy garbage collector has basically the exact same functionality as RCU.
It has finer granularity than RCU... It uses another one of my specialized
forms of atomic reference counting:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.programming.threads/msg/08af0ba0d985027b

Any comments/questions/tricks/help/critiques/whatever is encouraged and will
be highly appreciated...

FWIW, this is one of the collectors that I have hooked up to my
high-performance memory allocator:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.arch/browse_frm/thread/24c40d42a04ee855/c36b50d37c2ebaca#c36b50d37c2ebaca

Thank you.

Is there any interest in this kind of stuff?

Chris Thomasson

Sep 9, 2006, 2:17:28 AM9/9/06
"Chris Thomasson" <cri...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Again, no lengthy white papers yet... Here is the first full blown
> implementation of one version of my 100% lock-free proxy garbage
> collector:
>

> http://home.comcast.net/~vzoom/demos/pc_sample.c
[...]

> Thank you.
>
> Is there any interest in this kind of stuff?

This can scale way better than virtually all existing "traditional
read-write mutexs"...