S.M.A.R.T. Software Available -- Looking for Beta Sites

David A. Lethe

Jun 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/5/99
Compass Corporate Systems will soon be releasing their S.M.A.R.T.
monitoring software for WindowsNT/95/98 systems. We are looking for
beta test sites.

Full information about the software including screen shots can be
found at http://www.compass-corp.com/smartmon.htm

A small sample of features:

1. Monitors predictive failure capability of SCSI, Fibrechannel, and
SSA disk drives. It will report all makes and models we hope, or at
least that is the plan ;) If a drive is getting ready to crash, then
you will know about it.

2. Software generates an email in the event of a "problem". All
aspects of this feature is programmable including rulesets, email
setup, specific conditions warranting alert, and SCSI Ids.

3. We report vital product data such as serial numbers, defects (grown
and from factory), microcode revision levels, etc...

4. We report operating data such as drive temperature, # of read/write
errors and retries, and # of minutes drive has been powered up since
inception. (Note all fields not available for all makes & models).

5. All mode sense data and most log sense pages reportable by
individual disk.

To qualify for a Beta copy you must:
1. Be willing to evaluate software, and provide constructive feedback
on the software's features and usability.
2. Have a relatively unique configuration. i.e., we won't let 50
people beta the code that have the same kind of disk drive and
controller.
3. REQUEST MUST BE MADE BEFORE 6/10/99.

Uses running fibrechannel and SSA disks are a big plus, as are
multi-initiator (SAN) environments. If your disk drive(s) are acting
flakey, then we *really* want to hear from you, as it is tough to find
drives that aren't working properly that haven't been sent back for
repair or replacement.

David A. Lethe
product manager
compass corporate systems