Epson C88+: T0601 vs T0441?

Robotech_Master

Oct 26, 2006, 3:23:22 AM10/26/06
Up until recently, I had an Epson C84 printer. I hadn't ever used it
very much; what with one thing and another, the last time the ink ran
out I hadn't bothered to get refills for several months.

Finally, I managed to get around to it. I found quite a good deal (due
to mislabelling) at Best Buy.such a good deal, in fact, that I bought
two complete sets of black, cyan, yellow, and magenta ink
cartridges.about $130 worth of ink if I'd paid full price. I took them
home, ripped one open, put them in the machine...and it promptly
failed to print anything. I tried multiple times using the
troubleshooting instructions on Epson's website, and nothing. Finally,
I called Epson's support line, and went through troubleshooting steps
with them, but to no avail. The fellow gave me a special access code
to get into an area of Epson's website where I could order a new Epson
printer at a good-customer discount, but when I asked if there were
any that would use the same ink cartridges I had now, he said no. When
I explained that wouldn't do as I had just made a substantial
investment in ink.including opened cartridges which I couldn't return
to the store.he was kind enough to offer me a one-time-only
out-of-warranty replacement. He sent me a label, I boxed up and
returned the printer, and they would repair it and send it back. In
the mean time, I could put the opened cartridges in a ziplock bag in a
dark cabinet or drawer, and they should keep until I got the printer
back.

Well, today I received via FedEx overnight, a brand new (or maybe
refurb in new box)...Epson C88+, which naturally uses an entirely
different set of ink cartridges.

Or does it?

I compared the T0601 through T0604 cartridges with the T0441 through
T0444 cartridges I already have, and they look identical, same form
factor, everything.

Are the T0441 carts compatible with the C88+, just a renaming so they
can sell the same thing at a whole new price? Or should I go ahead
and get whatever I can out of them on eBay?

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html

Arthur Entlich

Oct 26, 2006, 4:54:31 AM10/26/06
The C88+ uses the new Durabrite Ultra inks. The older C84 used the
Durabrite inks.

What's the difference? Hard to say, the ads are vague about it.

It may be less clog prone.

Also, the colors may not be identical so drivers may be a bit different.

Who knows???

Art

Jan Alter

Oct 26, 2006, 7:08:40 AM10/26/06
Art is very accurate in his description of these cartridges. The Dura-brite
inks from my own experience in eight C-84 printers at my school, where I
take care of them, have eventually clogged seven of the eight printers
beyond reclamation. Yesterday the 7th went down after about two years of
constant use by the teacher, who used it very regularly. It was working
fine, but when she installed new cartridges a head clog suddenly stopped it.
Although I still need to inspect the waste tube for a clog I think it's
another lost cause.
Last spring I called Epson and complained, as we still had about a eight
unopened C-84 printers from purchasing them more than two years ago. Their
response was to send me over $800 in ink cartridges, which I've been using
sporadically and with trepidation. What I did finally do last January was to
get a hold of spongeless cartridges and fill them with dye-base ink, and use
the Epson ink chips, with a chip resetter to finally end this clogging
problem and insure that the remaining printers we have get a decent life.
I've got four C-84 printers using this set up now with very good printer
results and no clog issues.
My guess is that the new Dura-brite-Ultra formulation is a less clog
prone ink that will avoid those death-dealing clogs to these printers. You
may be able to use your already purchased cartidges but the software may not
recognize the PCB (printed circuit board) chips. You could easily replace
the chips with ones that came with the new ink on the C-88 and the cartridge
would probably function. However, you would again be introducing the old
Dura-brite ink recipe into the machine. It's your call, but you can probably
guess what I would say if you chose to use the Dura-brite poison.

--
Jan Alter
bea...@verizon.net
"Arthur Entlich" <e-prin...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Robotech_Master

Oct 26, 2006, 12:54:17 PM10/26/06
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:08:40 GMT, Jan Alter <bea...@verizon.net> wrote:

> It's your call, but you can probably guess what I would say if you
> chose to use the Dura-brite poison.

Wow, thanks! Your and the prior poster's responses have to rate as
among the most helpful responses I've ever received on USENET. Not
only do I now know just what to do with that ink, I can also feel
better about the fact that my new C88+ probably won't go the same way
my C84 did.

By the way...anybody wanna buy some C84 ink cartridges? Cheap? :)