Booting over the backplane using Shared Memory Network

Ganesh Okade

Jun 2, 2003, 4:37:55 AM6/2/03
Dear Friends,
We have two Intel PIII based VME Bus SBC's from VMIC (VMIVME
7750). We have configured our boards with the Shared Memory Network
and we are able to boot CPU0 (processor no. = 0) successfully over an
Ethernet connection and have verified that the Shared Memory Network
is up and running (using smNetShow). We are now trying to boot the
other CPU (processor no = 1) over the backplane. We have configured
the boot device as (sm=0x80000040) since our Shared memory anchor is
at location 0x80000040. When we try and boot the booting stops at the
following location
Backplane anchor at 0x80000040...

After some time (say about 30 seconds, the message disappears and the
control comes back to the VxWorks Bootrom prompt
[VxWorks Boot]:

Since there are no error messages displayed I am confused as to
the problem. Has anybody come across such a problem?
Some more observations:
- same behavious occurs when boot device is specified with an invalid
shared memory anchor address. Does this mean CPU1 is not able to reach
the shared memory anchor? This is not true since I am able to do a
dump using d 0x80000040 and am able to see the ready value from the
bootrom prompt of CPU1

kmandava

Jun 2, 2003, 12:41:57 PM6/2/03
Let me ask a dumb question first:
1. did you make sure you enabled the shared memory support in the
second CPU bootrom
2. you mentioned that the ready value is OK, i think the shared
memory initialization increments a counter(anchor + x words) every
spcified interval or so is that happening..!

thanks,
kiran

Ganesh Okade

Jun 2, 2003, 10:30:21 PM6/2/03
Kiran,
Thank you for responding.
1) Yes, I have rebuilt the Bootrom after enabling Shared Memory
Support for CPU2. If this is not done the booting process aborts with
a message stating that Shared Memory Network is referenced but not
included.

2) Yes, I have checked both the ready value and the heartbeat. The
heartbeat increments.

The confusing part here is that I get no error messages. I looked
into the bootconfig.c file but the booting process for SM is not very
clear.

Ganesh

Ganesh Okade

Jun 3, 2003, 12:19:22 AM6/3/03
Dear Friends,
I traced the source of the problem to be a bug in the BSP. A macro
definition for INCLUDE_BSD in the config.h file is required for the
booting to happen over the backplane. If this macro is undefined, the
booting process skips the call to usrNetAttach. This definition is
supposed to be done automatically when the INCLUDE_SM_NET is defined
in the BSP which incidentally was not done in the VMIC BSP. Thanks for
everyone who responded to my call.

Regards,
Ganesh