Shifted Function Keys On OpenVMS XWindows Don't Work

The_Nth_Traveler

Dec 13, 2007, 10:58:42 AM12/13/07
F1 to Shift-F10 on a Windows based Xserver connecting to Xwindows on
OpenVMS

Folks,

I have been trying to use an OpenVMS Alpha system over Xwindows on a
Windows PC instead of a VT terminal emulator.

Through the use of an Windows based XWindows server, I have been able
to establish an XWindows logon just as if I were at the system
console.

However, one of my applications requires the use of the keys F7-F20.
On the system console, I of course have dedicated physical keys for
these function keys (it is a LK411 keyboard). However, on a PC I only
have F1-F12.

I would like to make the PC function keys F1-F10 work as OpenVMS
function keys F11-F20 when shifted, i.e. Shift-F2=F12.

I wrote a simple DCL script to define the programmable keys to output
the name of the key pressed, i.e.:

$ ! KEY_TEST.COM
$ set terminal /application_keypad
$ set terminal /noline_editing
$ define /key PF1 "PF1 "
$ define /key PF2 "PF2 "
.
.
.
$ define /key F19 "F19 "
$ define /key F20 "F20 "

On a VT terminal emulator, I was able to get all the keys to work,
including keys F11-F20 (except on this emulator, F11-F20 is defined as
CTRL+F1, etc.). When I press "F13" (i.e. CTRL-F3), I get "F13 " shown
on the screen (after running the KEY_TEST.COM script).

Both the VT terminal emulator and Xwindows server have a means to
redefine the output of the keyboard. I have done so on both the VT
and Xwindows. On the XWindows server, I have defined F11 to be Shift-
F1, F12 to be Shift -F2, etc.

When logging onto the OpenVMS system via the Windows based Xwindows
server, the OpenVMS system shows the Xwindow F7 key (keycode=72) to be
defined as "keycode 72 = F7 F17" (as shown by the DECW
$UTILS:XMODMAP.EXE tool with options -pke, i.e. xmodmap -pke).

And when using DECW$UTILS:XEV.EXE, and I press and release F7, I get

KeyPress event, serial 16, synthetic NO, window 0x800001,
root 0x28, subw 0x800002, time 161257078, (35,51), root:(210,957)
state 0x0, keycode 72 (keysym 0xffc4), F7), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 characters: ""

KeyRelease event, serial 16, synthetic NO, window 0x800001,
root 0x28, subw 0x800002, time 161257203, (35,51), root:(210,957)
state 0x0, keycode 72 (keysym 0xffc4), F7), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 characters: ""

Now when I press the key combination Shift+F7, I get

KeyPress event, serial 16, synthetic NO, window 0x800001,
root 0x28, subw 0x800002, time 161659734, (35,51), root:(210,957)
state 0x0, keycode 61 (keysym 0xffe2), Shift_R), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 characters: ""

KeyPress event, serial 16, synthetic NO, window 0x800001,
root 0x28, subw 0x800002, time 161660250, (35,51), root:(210,957)
state 0x1, keycode 72 (keysym 0xffce), F17), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 characters: ""

KeyRelease event, serial 16, synthetic NO, window 0x800001,
root 0x28, subw 0x800002, time 161660328, (35,51), root:(210,957)
state 0x1, keycode 72 (keysym 0xffce), F17), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 characters: ""

KeyRelease event, serial 16, synthetic NO, window 0x800001,
root 0x28, subw 0x800002, time 161660500, (35,51), root:(210,957)
state 0x1, keycode 61 (keysym 0xffe2), Shift_R), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 characters: ""

which is what I believe I would expect.

However, if I do this at a VMS prompt (i.e. $), I simply get a beep,
and nothing else is shown on the screen.

Now , if I issue the command at the OpenVMS prompt:

$ xmodmap -e "keycode 72 = F17 F7"

And then press the F7 key, F17 shows up! When I press Shift+F7, I get
the beep again.

So it seems like I cannot get Function keys to work when they are
shifted. Any ideas?

I also tried to get this to work directly on the console by removing
the definition of F11 through F20 from the actual keys, and mapping
F11-F20 to be shifted F1-F10. No luck there as well. It is like I am
fighting an operating system problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

The_Nth_Traveler

Richard B. Gilbert

Dec 13, 2007, 5:21:48 PM12/13/07

I think that if any help is available, you will get it much sooner if
you specify which X-Windows software you are using with MS Windows.
Specify both the name of the product and the version. You might also
spell out which version of Windows you are using and the version of VMS.

With a little bit of luck you might find an LK250 or an LK450 keyboard
somewhere. These are PC keyboards with the DEC keypad and key layout.
The LK250 is older and has the PC/PC-XT/PC-AT style connector. The
LK450 has more modern arrangements. I have one of each but I'm not yet
willing to part with them!

Without a DEC keyboard, you are going to have to depend on software
emulation of some sort. Your PC/X-windows may offer something but
without knowing what it is, I can't say more.

The_Nth_Traveler

Dec 13, 2007, 6:36:20 PM12/13/07
On Dec 13, 4:21 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilber...@comcast.net>
wrote:

My apologies. I should have included versions.

I am on a Windows XP SP2 system using Kea! X Server v6.00.191 (by
Attachmate). Furthermore, I am on OpenVMS 7.3-1 using DecWindows
Motif 1.2-6 for OpenVMS.

As I mentioned, the Kea! X server does provide a way to map different
keysyms to different physical keys, such as through xmodmap.

However, as I mentioned, I can use the xmodmap on OpenVMS to attempt
to do the same thing at the console (I know there is no reason to do
this, as the LK411 keyboard has F1-F20, but I am attempting to isolate
the problem). So this takes the Kea! X Server and Windows out of the
equation. So it seems that it is something with OpenVMS or DecWindows/
Motif on the system itself. Just what that is, I do not know.

Thanks again...

Bob Koehler

Dec 17, 2007, 9:04:21 AM12/17/07
In article <390d0551-4b67-4d70...@e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, The_Nth_Traveler <rjl...@gmail.com> writes:
> F1 to Shift-F10 on a Windows based Xserver connecting to Xwindows on
> OpenVMS

You pretty much can't fix this from the VMS end since it has no
control over what your PC is sending to VMS.

There are a couple of solutions:
1) use a terminal emulator on your PC that will do what you want
to do
2) attach a keypad to your PC that will do what you want to do

I use both. I use PuTTY as my terminal emulator and a Targus USB
keypad to have all the missing buttons that are so hard to get to
with IBM/Lenovo style keypad mapping.

Using a DECterm from my VMS systems, or the X11 based version of TPU
is no-joy.