VGA video adapter for Vaxstation 4000 model 60

inte...@earthlink.net

Aug 21, 2006, 12:08:53 PM8/21/06
Hello,

I heard such an adapter existed. Does anyone know where I can get one?

29-32549-01 is a part # I found while searching, but no luck finding
one to buy.

Thanks in advance!

Michael Kraemer

Aug 21, 2006, 12:23:28 PM8/21/06
In article <1156176533.1...@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
You want to use a VGA monitor with a VS4000 ?
For that purpose I use two cables DEC-RGB -> BNC and BNC -> VGA.

etms...@yahoo.co.uk

Aug 21, 2006, 1:23:06 PM8/21/06
The FAQ suggests that this is a BNC to SVGA adapter so requires the
VS<->BNC cable to be daisy chained to it:

"The DIGITAL (classic 2-5-2-style) part number 29-32549-01 converts the
output from the RGB cable (3 BNC, synch-on-green) that comes with the
VAXstation 3100 and VAXstation 4000 series to a female SVGA D
connector. You may be able to find third-party converters or adapters
(3 BNCs with synch-on-green signaling to 5 BNCs with VGA/SVGA, or to
15-pin VGA/SVGA. "

Steve

JF Mezei

Aug 21, 2006, 3:22:12 PM8/21/06
http://home.iae.nl/users/pb0aia/vax/vs3khw.html

It shows the pinouts from the DEC proprietary 15 pin connector to VGA
pinouts. I built my own.

inte...@earthlink.net

Aug 21, 2006, 4:01:58 PM8/21/06

I wish my vaxstation had this type of connector. On the workstation it
is 3 big pins (RGB) inside a D style connector. The other end is
individual coax RGB which plugs into the very large DEC CRT.

Richard B. Gilbert

Aug 21, 2006, 5:26:14 PM8/21/06
inte...@earthlink.net wrote:

Hmmmm! I have this dusty antique labeled "PMAGD-AA" which I believe is
a turbo-channel video card which might work in your VAXstation. It has
a weird video connector; three coax type "pins" in a DB shell.

I have no idea if it is in working condition and have no means of
testing it. My poor old 4000/VLC doesn't support it.

If you think you might be able to use it, drop me an e-mail with an
offer. If it doesn't work you may return it and I'll refund the
purchase price, but not the shipping.

inte...@earthlink.net

Aug 21, 2006, 5:41:57 PM8/21/06

thanks .... but this is (or is similar to) the video card I already
have. I want to to connect that RGB-D connector to an SVGA/VGA monitor.

Michael Kraemer

Aug 21, 2006, 5:43:59 PM8/21/06
inte...@earthlink.net schrieb:

but then you luckily have already the part which is
hardest to find - those DEC-style connectors.
You will "only" need the BNC -> VGA cable and
I suppose this is easier to find.

Steven M. Schweda

Aug 21, 2006, 5:44:48 PM8/21/06
From: "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilb...@comcast.net>

> [...] It has

> a weird video connector; three coax type "pins" in a DB shell.

For the record, the same connector was also used by Apollo and by IBM
(on some RS/6000 machines). And probably others, too.

Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

Richard B. Gilbert

Aug 21, 2006, 6:53:18 PM8/21/06
inte...@earthlink.net wrote:

Something like a BC29H or BC29G will go from DB-coax to BNC. A BNC19L
will go from BNC to HD-15. The alternative would be to call Black Box
and tell them what you want to connect. The can make you a custom cable
to connect just about anything to anything else. All it takes is money.
;-)

Call (724) 746-5500.

Michael Kraemer

Aug 21, 2006, 7:21:07 PM8/21/06
Steven M. Schweda schrieb:

> From: "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilb...@comcast.net>
>
>>[...] It has
>>a weird video connector; three coax type "pins" in a DB shell.
>

> For the record, the same connector was also used by Apollo and by IBM
> (on some RS/6000 machines).

I'm not sure if this is correct.
But I have an ancient IBM RT sitting on the shelf
which has exactly this kind of connector.

JF Mezei

Aug 21, 2006, 9:29:53 PM8/21/06
inte...@earthlink.net wrote:
> thanks .... but this is (or is similar to) the video card I already
> have. I want to to connect that RGB-D connector to an SVGA/VGA monitor.

If your VAXstation has pure RGB outputs, you can easily map them to VGA
monitor pinouts. Make sure your monitor can do sync-on-green.

Tom Linden

Aug 21, 2006, 10:45:43 PM8/21/06
On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 14:43:59 -0700, Michael Kraemer <M.Kr...@gsi.de>
wrote:

This may seem odd but it works. The cable referred to with the three
molded
sma connectors at the 4000 end and the three bnc at the others can be
connected
to a cable which you can buy almost anywhere which has 5 bnc at one and and
d-sub at the other using 3 bnc couples costing about $1 each.
---R -C- R
SMA -------------G -C- G------------------------ D-SUB
---B -C- B
-- W
-- Bl

inte...@earthlink.net

Aug 22, 2006, 1:43:26 AM8/22/06

Thanks!

George Cook

Aug 22, 2006, 2:25:58 AM8/22/06

The 3 pin connector is called a 3W3. Some SUN and RS6000 (I don't know
about Apollo) machines used a 13W3 connector which has ten DB style pins
between pin 1 and 2 of the three coax pins. The one IBM 3W3 to BNC cable
I have (possibly came with an RT system) is non-standard in that it has
Red and Blue reversed.

FWIW, the DEC 3000 I am writing this from uses a 3W3 to VGA cable connected
to a VGA to 13W3 cable to connect the 3W3 turbochannel video card to my
13W3 monitor.

George Cook
WVNET

Michael Kraemer

Aug 22, 2006, 2:41:32 AM8/22/06
Tom Linden schrieb:

> This may seem odd but it works. The cable referred to with the three
> molded
> sma connectors at the 4000 end and the three bnc at the others can be
> connected
> to a cable which you can buy almost anywhere which has 5 bnc at one and and
> d-sub at the other using 3 bnc couples costing about $1 each.
> ---R -C- R
> SMA -------------G -C- G------------------------ D-SUB
> ---B -C- B
> -- W
> -- Bl

this is the way I translate most of my strange workstation
outlets to VGA to feed them into a Video switch.
And, as I have discovered a few days ago,
may also be used with a modern flatscreen.
An oldish DECstation PMAG-B card
at an Eizo L66 works without apparent problems.

Michael Kraemer

Aug 22, 2006, 2:58:18 AM8/22/06
George Cook schrieb:

> In article <ecdf46$308$01$1...@news.t-online.com>, Michael Kraemer <M.Kr...@gsi.de> writes:
>
> The 3 pin connector is called a 3W3. Some SUN and RS6000 (I don't know
> about Apollo) machines used a 13W3 connector which has ten DB style pins
> between pin 1 and 2 of the three coax pins.

thanks for clarifying the nomenclature.
3W3 certainly sounds more professional than
"that strange DEC-style connector" :-)

> The one IBM 3W3 to BNC cable
> I have (possibly came with an RT system) is non-standard in that it has
> Red and Blue reversed.

Might give funny colours, but as long as the Green is not affected ...

> FWIW, the DEC 3000 I am writing this from uses a 3W3 to VGA cable connected
> to a VGA to 13W3 cable to connect the 3W3 turbochannel video card to my
> 13W3 monitor.

I sometimes wonder that gfx signals can travel so many transitions
and still give some picture on the monitor.

etms...@yahoo.co.uk

Aug 22, 2006, 4:45:33 AM8/22/06
Not sure about the PMAGD-AA in a VAXstation. There were several
variations on the Turbochannel card and the PMAGD-AA was in the DEC
3000 series systems (I know because when mine blew, I got an incorrect
replacement to start with!)

Caveat emptor.

Steve

Verne

Aug 28, 2006, 3:38:54 PM8/28/06

Yes, 29-32549-01 is the proper DEC part (my old Alpha workstation is
using one right now).

Just last week I had a need to hook up a VGA device to an older Alpha,
and just this morning received and tested a pigtail adapter from
digitalconnection.com ... it gives a male VGA connector on one end so
the 12 inch cable screws directly to my VGA monitor, and has 5 female
BNC connectors to hook to my existing DEC cable (5 because
DigitalConnection gives two sync wires; I just will ignore those two
connectors).

As always, I have no financial interest in this vendor; just found a
cheap VGA pigtail. See
http://www.digitalconnection.com/store/Product_List.asp?CID=3&CAT=CABLE%20ADAPTERS
(choose Video Adapters under CABLES on their left-hand menu as one way
to find them) and specifically item HD15M5BF1. Can't remember now but
last week I did find another vendor for the same kind of pigtail
adapter (was higher priced than this $24 item at DigitalConnection).
They offer other VGA cables too; make sure you get the right genders on
both ends for your exact application.

By using this pigtail I have one less physical connection than the
29-32549-01 setup, but I don't think I'll be replacing my other genuine
d|i|g|i|t|a|l adapter any time soon :-)

Verne

pr...@prep.synonet.com

Sep 4, 2006, 10:42:12 AM9/4/06
"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilb...@comcast.net> writes:

> Hmmmm! I have this dusty antique labeled "PMAGD-AA" which I believe
> is a turbo-channel video card which might work in your VAXstation.
> It has a weird video connector; three coax type "pins" in a DB
> shell.

That is a 3W3. Almost as standard as it gets in video. (ie, not very,
and many)

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.