OpenVMS IA64 V8.2 - Failing to reboot automatically

Ivan Lowe

Jan 21, 2009, 12:49:00 PM1/21/09
We have a number of Itaniums running ovms 8.2. A new "bug" seems to
have materialised since the start of this year whereby these systems
won't reboot automatically. The system starts booting up VMS but then
requires the date to be re-entered.

At first I thought this was an issue with the battery on the
motherboard but have found that if the date is say 1-JAN-2004 the
system will reboot fine - but when put back to 2009 the problem
reoccurs.

Is this a hardware or software issue - anyone? If a software issue -
is there an easily administered s/w patch for it.

IanMiller

Jan 21, 2009, 1:16:06 PM1/21/09

What patches do have installed and why not upgrade to V8.3-1H1 which
is a lot better?

Ivan Lowe

Jan 21, 2009, 1:37:18 PM1/21/09

I don't think it has many if any. Probably just set to work straight
out of the box - kind of get used to VMS being so reliable that one
doesn't expect to have to put any patches on.

I did a SHOW PRODUCT HISTORY

----------------------------------- ----------- -----------
--------------------
PRODUCT KIT TYPE OPERATION DATE AND
TIME
----------------------------------- ----------- -----------
--------------------
HP I64VMS MSAI V1.0 Full LP Install 12-
SEP-2006 12:32:36
HP I64VMS TIE V1.0 Full LP Install 12-
SEP-2006 12:28:46
HP I64VMS IDESERVER V1.1-1 Full LP Install 09-
MAR-2006 13:23:37
HP I64VMS VMSI18N V8.2 Full LP Install 21-
JAN-2005 19:41:08
HP VMS AVAIL_MAN_COL V2.4-1 Full LP Install 21-
JAN-2005 19:35:53
HP I64VMS VT V2.1-K Full LP Install 21-
JAN-2005 19:32:06
HP I64VMS OSAK V3.0-T Full LP Install 21-
JAN-2005 19:27:43
HP I64VMS V82_MGMTAGENTS V3.1-5 Full LP Install 21-
JAN-2005 19:25:02
HP I64VMS DCPS V2.4 Full LP Install 21-
JAN-2005 19:20:09
HP I64VMS DCE V3.2 Full LP Install 21-
JAN-2005 19:14:04
HP I64VMS CSWS V1.3-1 Full LP Install 21-
JAN-2005 19:04:44
HP I64VMS JAVA142 V1.4-21 Full LP Install 21-
JAN-2005 19:00:16
HP I64VMS SSL V1.2 Full LP Install 21-
JAN-2005 18:51:05
HP I64VMS CSWB V1.4 Full LP Install 21-
JAN-2005 18:34:44
HP I64VMS DECNET_PLUS V8.2 Full LP Install 21-
JAN-2005 16:20:16
HP I64VMS AVAIL_MAN_BASE V8.2 Full LP Install 21-
JAN-2005 15:26:25
HP I64VMS CDSA V2.1-355 Full LP Install 21-
JAN-2005 15:26:25
HP I64VMS DWMOTIF V1.5 Full LP Install 21-
JAN-2005 15:26:25
HP I64VMS KERBEROS V2.1-75 Full LP Install 21-
JAN-2005 15:26:25
HP I64VMS OPENVMS V8.2 Platform Install 21-
JAN-2005 15:26:25
HP I64VMS TCPIP V5.5-11 Full LP Install 21-
JAN-2005 15:26:25
HP I64VMS TDC_RT V2.1-69 Full LP Install 21-
JAN-2005 15:26:25
HP I64VMS VMS V8.2 Oper System Install 21-
JAN-2005 15:26:25
----------------------------------- ----------- -----------
--------------------

We will probably upgrade to 8.3-1H1 but we are talking a large number
of remote systems that are now in a vulnerable state so am looking for
the required patch (if available) for 8.2 that addresses this issue.
Hopefully it can be applied remotely over our WAN.

VAXman-

Jan 21, 2009, 1:51:22 PM1/21/09
In article <3d5b2d6d-ac83-41d1...@z27g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, IanMiller <gx...@uk2.net> writes:
>On 21 Jan, 17:49, Ivan Lowe <ivanlow...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> We have a number of Itaniums running ovms 8.2. =A0A new "bug" seems to

>> have materialised since the start of this year whereby these systems
>> won't reboot automatically. =A0The system starts booting up VMS but then

>> requires the date to be re-entered.
>>
>> At first I thought this was an issue with the battery on the
>> motherboard but have found that if the date is say 1-JAN-2004 the
>> system will reboot fine - but when put back to 2009 the problem
>> reoccurs.
>>
>> Is this a hardware or software issue - anyone? =A0If a software issue -

>> is there an easily administered s/w patch for it.
>

>What patches do have installed and why not upgrade to V8.3-1H1 which
>is a lot better?

...and TIMEPROMPTWAIT is set to what?

I'll give you a microfortnight to answer.

Ivan Lowe

Jan 21, 2009, 2:01:03 PM1/21/09
On Jan 21, 6:51 pm, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

65535 microFortnights

Parameter Name Current Default Min. Max.
Unit Dynamic
-------------- ------- ------- ------- -------
---- -------
TIMEPROMPTWAIT 65535 -1 0 -1
uFortnight

johnwa...@yahoo.co.uk

Jan 21, 2009, 2:33:41 PM1/21/09

VMS FAQ 4.1.1.3 describes a scenario on VAX which may or may not be
related; the FAQ doesn't say (and I can't remember) whether similar
scenarios are possible on Alpha or Itanium.

I could be way off beam, and would welcome correction if so, but in
the meantime, at least it should be easy (and harmless) to test, with
a "SET TIME" command on your Itanium system.

VMS FAQ part 4: http://hoffmanlabs.org/vmsfaq/vmsfaq_004.html

koe...@spock.koehler.athome.net

Jan 21, 2009, 3:56:00 PM1/21/09

Are you running sys$system:shutdown.com? If not, then the commands
to update the hardware clock may not be happening.

jim

Jan 22, 2009, 4:57:46 PM1/22/09
On Jan 21, 1:56 pm, koeh...@spock.koehler.athome.net wrote:

I have another site with EXACTLY the same problem. It is an rx1600
the CM> date command shows the correct time. to be safe I had them go
into the system configuration menu and do the set time and set date.
then go back to MC> and RS. Then check the data again. Looks good.
If he sets settime=0 (which is was) and TIMEPROMPTWAIT = 0 it will
boot and set the time to------- Are you ready for this 1-jan-2004
at midnight!!
I had him do
$ set time <cr> also so that has been covered. Will check his
patches.

Jim Mehlhop

Jan 22, 2009, 6:32:54 PM1/22/09
to jim

It appears to be a system patch. The following patches were installed
on a system that DID work!

BFIELD::SYSTEM$ prod sho hist

----------------------------------- ----------- -----------
--------------------

PRODUCT KIT TYPE OPERATION DATE AND TIME

----------------------------------- ----------- -----------
--------------------

HP I64VMS VMS82I_TZ V2.0 Patch Install 31-OCT-2007
01:18:40

HP I64VMS VMS82I_TDF V3.0 Patch Install 31-OCT-2007
01:17:12

HP I64VMS VMS82I_UPDATE V6.0 Patch Install 31-OCT-2007
01:11:13

HP I64VMS VMS82I_PCSI V1.0 Patch Install 31-OCT-2007
01:07:45

Jim Mehlhop

Jan 23, 2009, 11:58:57 AM1/23/09
to Ivan Lowe, jim

To verify Installing the latest set of 8.2I patches DID indeed fix the
problem