Another database choice for vms ...

b...@instantwhip.com

Sep 8, 2006, 1:41:34 PM9/8/06
for those who thought oracle and rdb was their only choice ...

http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=06/09/07/6236748

Bill Todd

Sep 8, 2006, 5:55:20 PM9/8/06
b...@instantwhip.com wrote:
> for those who thought oracle and rdb was their only choice ...
>
> http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=06/09/07/6236748

Gee, I hope you're not implying that Intersystems' Cache has given up
supporting VMS: that was a fairly interesting product with (IIRC) MUMPS
roots.

- bill

Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing

Sep 8, 2006, 8:03:21 PM9/8/06

I don't know what the Itanium situation is with any of these, but last I looked
there were at least the following relational databases on VMS:

Rdb (which is what my site uses)
Oracle
Ingres
MySQL
Mimer

and I think Cache called itself a "post-relational" database.

-- Alan

Richard Tomkins

Sep 8, 2006, 9:21:09 PM9/8/06
Anyone up for a port of Firebird?
rtt

Dave Froble

Sep 9, 2006, 3:45:05 AM9/9/06

System32 ??

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: da...@tsoft-inc.com

toby

Sep 9, 2006, 7:39:57 PM9/9/06
Richard Tomkins wrote:
> Anyone up for a port of Firebird?

This page seems to show an existing port of v1.5:
http://www.decus.de/~centmayer/vlt04b.html
(Also see http://www.ibphoenix.com/ although I can't find specific
mention of VMS there.)

mariuz

Sep 11, 2006, 3:52:56 AM9/11/06

toby wrote:
> Richard Tomkins wrote:
> > Anyone up for a port of Firebird?
>
> This page seems to show an existing port of v1.5:
> http://www.decus.de/~centmayer/vlt04b.html
> (Also see http://www.ibphoenix.com/ although I can't find specific
> mention of VMS there.)
I will ask on firebird-devel lists ,

Interbase it was working on VMS so an firebird port should be possible
(the vms code is still there only needs clean-up) also an sponsor
could donate for this port (like ibm is doing for their unix os).

Chris Casey

Jan 19, 2007, 7:13:41 AM1/19/07
Intersystems Cache is indeed still very active on VMS and supporting some of
the worlds largest systems.
Check out www.intersystems.com

"Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing" <win...@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>