HSG80 Serial connection

johnhre...@yahoo.com

Jun 13, 2006, 10:29:33 AM6/13/06
Does anybody know the pinout or a source of a cable to connect a HSG80
serial console to a 8-pin RJ45 DECserver 900TM port? The HSG80 uses a
regular 6-pin RJ12 connector rather than the "usual" DEC MMJ style.
Unless I've missed something in the FAQ and while googling I don't see
any DECconnect type cable which has a regular RJ12 connector.

Thanks.

John H. Reinhardt

Tom Linden

Jun 13, 2006, 10:46:12 AM6/13/06

I just used an MMJ console cable and trimmed off the tab. Of course, it
can more easily come out.

johnhre...@yahoo.com

Jun 13, 2006, 11:18:27 AM6/13/06

Hmmm. Perhaps a spot of super-glue would do the trick. ;-) Thanks!

John H. Reinhardt

DBT

Jun 13, 2006, 2:32:01 PM6/13/06
My guess is it's some BN24H or similar cable

Go to www.islandco.com/cables.html

DT

--

David B Turner
Island Computers US Corp

<johnhre...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

johnhre...@yahoo.com

Jun 13, 2006, 3:37:17 PM6/13/06

DBT wrote:
> My guess is it's some BN24H or similar cable

Nope. It needs an RJ12 on one end and a RJ45 on the other. The BN24H
has a MMJ-6 on one end. I don't know why, but all of the HSx
controllers have RJ12 connections for the console ports instead of
DEC's MMJ.

I can't find in any listing a DEC cable with the RJ12 and RJ45 plugs.

David Turner, Island Computers US Corp

Jun 13, 2006, 3:45:21 PM6/13/06
SO a BN24H + the RJ12-MMJ converter would do it

DT

--

David B Turner
Island Computers US Corp

David Turner, Island Computers US Corp

Jun 13, 2006, 3:46:04 PM6/13/06
I guess we could make one for you for say $50

David

--

David B Turner
Island Computers US Corp
All orders are subject to the following terms and conditions
of sale. These should be read before ordering.
http://www.islandco.com/warranty.html

William Webb

Jun 13, 2006, 10:16:11 PM6/13/06
Most places I've been used an RJ12 => MMJ adapter.

AMP part #5562701

Female on both sides, so you need to have an RJ12 pigtail.

I've not worked with any 900s so I can't tell you off the top of my
head with any great deal of reliability whether you use the BN24H or J
to get where you need to be.

HTH.

WWWebb

On 13 Jun 2006 07:29:33 -0700, johnhre...@yahoo.com

--
NOTE: This email address is only used for noncommerical VMS-related
correspondence.

Dave Froble

Jun 14, 2006, 1:29:49 PM6/14/06

If the MMJ to RJ45 worked, then the same pin-out should work for making
a proper cable using the RJ12. If you cannot find the specs, email me
and I'll dig them out. Finding a crimp tool for RJ12 should be easy.

--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: da...@tsoft-inc.com

David J. Dachtera

Jun 14, 2006, 10:18:21 PM6/14/06

HSG80 has the same pinout as an MMJ jack. For the flat DECconnect
cables, you could just snip off the MMJ plug and crimp an RJ12 in its
place (facing the same direction so it's still "null modem").

--
David J Dachtera
dba DJE Systems

Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page