Slow NFS VMS server Linux client

uruguru

Nov 16, 2009, 9:13:49 AM11/16/09
Hi folks

I have installed NFS but get bad performance.

Copy 5MB from NFS Server (OpenVMS) to NFS Client (Linux)

real 0m19.284s

Copy 5MB from NFS Client to NFS Server

real 0m2.193s

Doing the same with ftp:

ftp> get
5483813 bytes received in 0.69 seconds (7.8e+03 Kbytes/s)

ftp> put
5483813 bytes sent in 0.67 seconds (8e+03 Kbytes/s)

Putting the nodenames in each local hosttable did not improve.

Tried another VMS-server with the same result.

First server is OpenVMS 8.3 and FTP V5.6 - ECO 3
Second server is OpenVMS 7.3-2 and FTP V5.4 - ECO 4
Linux client is Redhat

Occassionally I have had the same speed on NFS as on FTP,
but only on the first attempt. The consequent attempts were slow.
Now it is permanently slow.

I don't think this is a tuning issue while copying one 5 Mb file.

Any ideas?

Regards /Jan

JF Mezei

Nov 16, 2009, 10:15:53 AM11/16/09
uruguru wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I have installed NFS but get bad performance.

in SYS$ETC: file: SYSCONFIGTAB.DAT

ovms_xqp_plus_enabled=0x00000007

And in

SYS$STARTUP: TCPIP$SYSTARTUP.COM

add:

$DEFINE/SYSTEM/EXEC TCPIP$CFS_SHOW_VERSION "OFF"
$define/system/exec TCPIP$CFS_TRANSFERSIZE 16384
$define/system/exec TCPIP$CFS_ODS_CACHE_SIZE 1024
$!

The above MAY help. No garantees.

uruguru

Nov 16, 2009, 10:39:28 AM11/16/09

Unfortunatly it did not make any change.
Thank for the try anyway.

JF Mezei

Nov 16, 2009, 10:41:13 AM11/16/09
uruguru wrote:

> Unfortunatly it did not make any change.
> Thank for the try anyway.

You need to restart the TCPIP stack for those changes to take effect.
@SYS$STARTUP:TCPIP$SHUTDOWN

followed
@SYS$STARTUP:TCPIP$STARTUP

uruguru

Nov 17, 2009, 8:21:48 AM11/17/09

Done the restart and checked settings after that. No change.
Have resetted everything back to scratch.

uruguru

Nov 17, 2009, 10:08:28 AM11/17/09
There is some caching involved.
Creating a new directory on the Linux side and copying to that is
fast:

[sys_jan@imlab01 ~]$ mkdir pdf
[sys_jan@imlab01 ~]$ time cp /mnt/janne/CONFIG_MANAGE.PDF ./pdf/

real 0m0.034s

[sys_jan@imlab01 ~]$ time cp /mnt/janne/CONFIG_MANAGE.PDF ./pdf/

real 0m0.036s

Now copying in the other direction:
[sys_jan@imlab01 ~]$ time cp ./pdf/CONFIG_MANAGE.PDF /mnt/janne/

real 0m4.610s

[sys_jan@imlab01 ~]$ time cp ./pdf/CONFIG_MANAGE.PDF /mnt/janne/

real 0m4.557s

After that copying to the Linuxclient is slow:

[sys_jan@imlab01 ~]$ time cp /mnt/janne/CONFIG_MANAGE.PDF ./pdf/

real 0m19.658s

JF Mezei

Nov 27, 2009, 12:00:31 AM11/27/09
uruguru wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I have installed NFS but get bad performance.

I know this is an old thread.

The parameters I had given to the OP had made a difference to me, but
now, I am realising that the difference was in pulling up a list of
files in a directory. (aka: when on the Mac,s Finder, you click on a
folder, how long it takes for the filenames to appear in it).

Right now, I am copying entire user directory structure and it is
painfully slow. (aka: unix/Mac readuing files stored on the VMS system.)

Perhaps it is the cp -R command which is using nfs resources
inefficiently. (perhaps it does byte by byte read/writes ?)

Michael Kraemer

Nov 27, 2009, 3:40:46 AM11/27/09
JF Mezei schrieb:

For bulk transfer between fileservers/filesystems I'd use "rsync".
With proper switches it reduces the number of bytes transferred
by compression and also acts like "make" by inspecting file dates
and only transmits "newer" files.