Compaq C++ sadness

Single Stage to Orbit

Jun 23, 2011, 5:57:14 PM6/23/11
The version of the C++ compiler I'm using with VMS 7.3 is so outdated
that it won't even compile any of my C++ code used with GNU C++. It
reports Compaq C++ V5.6-023 on OpenVMS V7.3

Apart from GNU G++, is there anything newer out there?

Thanks
Alex
--
Tactical Nuclear Kittens

Arne Vajhøj

Jun 23, 2011, 6:07:14 PM6/23/11
On 6/23/2011 5:57 PM, Single Stage to Orbit wrote:
> The version of the C++ compiler I'm using with VMS 7.3 is so outdated
> that it won't even compile any of my C++ code used with GNU C++. It
> reports Compaq C++ V5.6-023 on OpenVMS V7.3
>
> Apart from GNU G++, is there anything newer out there?

Do you mean a free C++ compiler for VMS?

Arne

Single Stage to Orbit

Jun 23, 2011, 6:11:02 PM6/23/11
On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 18:07 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> > The version of the C++ compiler I'm using with VMS 7.3 is so
> outdated
> > that it won't even compile any of my C++ code used with GNU C++. It
> > reports Compaq C++ V5.6-023 on OpenVMS V7.3
> >
> > Apart from GNU G++, is there anything newer out there?
>
> Do you mean a free C++ compiler for VMS?

Whatever's out there that's available for VMS, free or not.
--
Tactical Nuclear Kittens

Arne Vajhøj

Jun 23, 2011, 6:26:01 PM6/23/11

How does HP C++ not qualify as whatever?

Arne

Single Stage to Orbit

Jun 23, 2011, 7:00:30 PM6/23/11
On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 18:26 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

> >> Do you mean a free C++ compiler for VMS?
> >
> > Whatever's out there that's available for VMS, free or not.
>
> How does HP C++ not qualify as whatever?

I believe HP C++ 6.5 is available on Alpha. I only run a VAX under simh.
--
Tactical Nuclear Kittens

Steven Schweda

Jun 23, 2011, 7:23:56 PM6/23/11
to Steven M. Schweda
On Jun 23, 6:00 pm, Single Stage to Orbit <alex.bu...@munted.org.uk>
wrote:

> [...] I only run a VAX under simh.

I was wondering if we'd ever learn what "VMS" meant in this
context.

Perhaps a VAX running an old OS is not an ideal platform
for development of modern code.

> [...] won't even compile [...]

Not a very detailed problem description.

Arne Vajhøj

Jun 23, 2011, 7:36:46 PM6/23/11

Ah VAX - that is a problem.

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/commercial/cplus/cplus_index.html says:

» HP C++ V7.4 for OpenVMS Integrity servers
» HP C++ V7.3 for OpenVMS Alpha
» HP C++ V5.6C for OpenVMS VAX

Does not look good.

AFAIK then the last GCC version ported to VMS was 2.8.

Arne

Single Stage to Orbit

Jun 24, 2011, 2:56:17 AM6/24/11

Ah, thanks, you have just answered both my questions. I will try and
bootstrap GCC 2.8 on the VAX, it should be recent enough to build my C++
code.
--
Tactical Nuclear Kittens

John E. Malmberg

Jun 24, 2011, 8:35:21 AM6/24/11
On 6/24/2011 1:56 AM, Single Stage to Orbit wrote:

> Ah, thanks, you have just answered both my questions. I will try and
> bootstrap GCC 2.8 on the VAX, it should be recent enough to build my C++
> code.

This thread from the GNV-DEVELOP list may be of interest to you.

https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=27398915

-John
wb8...@qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only

Single Stage to Orbit

Jun 24, 2011, 9:59:13 AM6/24/11
On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 07:35 -0500, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> Ah, thanks, you have just answered both my questions. I will try and
> > bootstrap GCC 2.8 on the VAX, it should be recent enough to build my
> C++
> > code.
>
> This thread from the GNV-DEVELOP list may be of interest to you.
>
> https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=27398915

Thanks, that's a huge help, I've got the files now and will install
later tonight... Modern C++ on VAXen, here I come :)
--
Tactical Nuclear Kittens

Arne Vajhøj

Jun 24, 2011, 10:39:46 PM6/24/11

I believe that 2.8 was pretty good.

But modern may be too much - it is from 1998.

Arne

Single Stage to Orbit

Jun 25, 2011, 4:07:38 AM6/25/11
On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 22:39 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> > Thanks, that's a huge help, I've got the files now and will install
> > later tonight... Modern C++ on VAXen, here I come :)
>
> I believe that 2.8 was pretty good.
>
> But modern may be too much - it is from 1998.

That remains to be seen. However, I think 2.8.1 might conform to C++98,
which may just be OK for use.
--
Tactical Nuclear Kittens