Is there a port of AWStats on OpenVMS

jf.pi...@laposte.net

Jun 25, 2004, 9:05:24 AM6/25/04
Did someone has ever try to port/run AWStat on OpenVMS?
http://awstats.sourceforge.net/
AWStats is a free PERL tool that generates advanced web, ftp or mail server
statistics, graphically.

I swill be interesting to use it for my httpd server (WASD) and my ftp server.

Thanks,

Jean-François

Craig A. Berry

Jun 25, 2004, 9:39:38 AM6/25/04
In article <cbh836$8o2$1...@news-reader4.wanadoo.fr>,
jf.pi...@laposte.net wrote:

I've never done it myself, but see pp. 226-30 of Alan Winston's VMS web
server book. It looks like he had to wrap the Perl invocations in DCL
and run the DCL as a CGI script, but that it did work.

Alan Winston - SSRL Admin Cmptg Mgr

Jun 25, 2004, 2:57:53 PM6/25/04

Thanks for the plug!

To be precise, though, I didn't actually get AWSTATS running as a CGI. I
looked at what youu'd have to do to do that (as you describe), but I didn't
actually get it done. (I did get it running from the command line in the
maintenance update mode, but it took _forever_ to update the files. There may
be some tweaking for faster RMS-file access or something, but I didn't do it.)
The figure shows AWSTATS running on a Unix system running Apache (as the text
reference says). I stand by the last paragraph on p.229: "You'll have to do
quite a bit of work to AWStats running properly as a CGI on your VMS system.
It does nicer graph's than ANALOG, but I'm not sure you'll find it worth it, at
least until the AWStats package runs works right out of the box."

-- Alan
Alan Winston --- WIN...@SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU
Disclaimer: I speak only for myself, not SLAC or SSRL Phone: 650/926-3056
Paper mail to: SSRL -- SLAC BIN 99, 2575 Sand Hill Rd, Menlo Park CA 94025

jf.pi...@laposte.net

Jun 30, 2004, 3:02:38 AM6/30/04

Thanks for the pointer, this is exactly what I am looking for.
I haven't previously read this part of this great book, apologize Alan :-)

Jean-François

jf.pi...@laposte.net

Jun 30, 2004, 3:09:17 AM6/30/04
Alan Winston - SSRL Admin Cmptg Mgr wrote:

> In article <craigberry-73C59...@news-east.dca.giganews.com>, "Craig A. Berry" <craig...@mac.com.spamfooler> writes:
>
>>In article <cbh836$8o2$1...@news-reader4.wanadoo.fr>,
>>jf.pi...@laposte.net wrote:
>>

>>>Did someone has ever try to port/run AWStat on OpenVMS?
>>>http://awstats.sourceforge.net/
>>>AWStats is a free PERL tool that generates advanced web, ftp or mail server
>>>statistics, graphically.
>>>
>>>I swill be interesting to use it for my httpd server (WASD) and my ftp server.
>>
>>I've never done it myself, but see pp. 226-30 of Alan Winston's VMS web
>>server book. It looks like he had to wrap the Perl invocations in DCL
>>and run the DCL as a CGI script, but that it did work.
>

> Thanks for the plug!
>
> To be precise, though, I didn't actually get AWSTATS running as a CGI. I
> looked at what youu'd have to do to do that (as you describe), but I didn't
> actually get it done. (I did get it running from the command line in the
> maintenance update mode, but it took _forever_ to update the files. There may
> be some tweaking for faster RMS-file access or something, but I didn't do it.)
> The figure shows AWSTATS running on a Unix system running Apache (as the text
> reference says). I stand by the last paragraph on p.229: "You'll have to do
> quite a bit of work to AWStats running properly as a CGI on your VMS system.
> It does nicer graph's than ANALOG, but I'm not sure you'll find it worth it, at
> least until the AWStats package runs works right out of the box."
>
> -- Alan

Thanks,

My thought was just to try to get it running from the command line.
After reading this part of your book, As I am not a PERL expert, I will wait
until someone success to install and run it near out of the box.

Jean-François