looking for blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo

Bob Kaplow

Dec 14, 2007, 12:22:13 PM12/14/07
I'm looking for a nice graphic of the old blue (or older) |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
logo. Preferable something drawn with graphic software rather than
photographed or scanned. All I've been able to find is the later red one,
like this: http://www.vaxination.ca/vms/alpha/digital_556.jpg

Pointers to a link would be great. Please do not eamil graphic files to this
address. Thanks.

BTW, after seeing the announcement for the PDP LinkedIn group, I was
wondering if there was interest in a Digital alumni group. I see them for HP
and IBM and other computer companies; DEC needs to be represented there. Or
is there already one there that I somehow missed?

Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://www.nira-rocketry.org/Document/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

Sir, if I was building a weapon of mass destruction,
you wouldn't be able to find it.

VAXman-

Dec 14, 2007, 12:56:15 PM12/14/07
In article <w0VwHk...@eisner.encompasserve.org>, kapl...@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) writes:

>I'm looking for a nice graphic of the old blue (or older) |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
>logo. Preferable something drawn with graphic software rather than
>photographed or scanned. All I've been able to find is the later red one,
>like this: http://www.vaxination.ca/vms/alpha/digital_556.jpg
>
>Pointers to a link would be great. Please do not eamil graphic files to this
>address. Thanks.
>
>BTW, after seeing the announcement for the PDP LinkedIn group, I was
>wondering if there was interest in a Digital alumni group. I see them for HP
>and IBM and other computer companies; DEC needs to be represented there. Or
>is there already one there that I somehow missed?

I have a .PNG that is the maroon red color. With some image software, you
could easily change the color mask to blue. Will that do?

http://tmesis.com/drat.html

Message has been deleted

VAXman-

Dec 14, 2007, 2:54:11 PM12/14/07
In article <fjum5e$9o7$1...@pcls4.std.com>, mor...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney) writes:

>VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:
>
>>In article <w0VwHk...@eisner.encompasserve.org>, kapl...@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) writes:
>>>

>>>I'm looking for a nice graphic of the old blue (or older) |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
>>>logo. Preferable something drawn with graphic software rather than
>>>photographed or scanned. All I've been able to find is the later red one,
>>>like this: http://www.vaxination.ca/vms/alpha/digital_556.jpg
>
>>I have a .PNG that is the maroon red color. With some image software, you
>>could easily change the color mask to blue. Will that do?
>
>There is another difference between the maroon and blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
>logos. The blue one has square dots on the i, the maroon has round dots.
>
>(I wonder if anyone ever created a font based on either logo)

Very little work would be needed to make squares out of those round dots.

I googled and found a black .GIF with square dots. The resolution isn't
as nice as the .PNG I have but you could change that .GIF to blue easily
too.

Ed Wilts

Dec 14, 2007, 3:31:00 PM12/14/07
On Dec 14, 11:22 am, kaplo...@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow)
wrote:

> I'm looking for a nice graphic of the old blue (or older) |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
> logo. Preferable something drawn with graphic software rather than
> photographed or scanned. All I've been able to find is the later red one,
> like this:http://www.vaxination.ca/vms/alpha/digital_556.jpg
>
> Pointers to a link would be great. Please do not eamil graphic files to this
> address. Thanks.

How about a 1962 logo? It's scanned but it's better than nothing.

http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/pdp8/logos/

See also http://vt100.net/dec/logo

That's enough free research for you on a Friday afternoon :-)

Cheers,
.../Ed

Paul Anderson

Dec 14, 2007, 3:59:33 PM12/14/07
kapl...@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

> I'm looking for a nice graphic of the old blue (or older)
> |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo. Preferable something drawn with graphic
> software rather than photographed or scanned. All I've been able to
> find is the later red one, like this:
> http://www.vaxination.ca/vms/alpha/digital_556.jpg

I got a monochrome PostScript version from the senior engineer whose
commute will become shorter with our move to Massachusetts. He also had
a DECpresent version but perhaps the PostScript one will be more useful.
Let me know if you want either one.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering

Keith Cayemberg

Dec 14, 2007, 4:28:38 PM12/14/07
On Dec 14, 6:22 pm, kaplo...@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow)
wrote:

> I'm looking for a nice graphic of the old blue (or older) |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
> logo. Preferable something drawn with graphic software rather than
> photographed or scanned. All I've been able to find is the later red one,
> like this:http://www.vaxination.ca/vms/alpha/digital_556.jpg
>
> Pointers to a link would be great. Please do not eamil graphic files to this
> address. Thanks.

Digital (bars) - digital_logo_bleu.gif (GIF Image, 106x37 pixels)
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.vms/browse_frm/thread/a0a2b8f156be5d1e/05e6490c0fb1e812?hl=en&

Digital (bars) - animated - digital-red-blue-peel-blur.gif (GIF Image,
124x40 pixels)
http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/images/digital-red-blue-peel-blur.gif

Digital (bars) - purple-dec-logo.gif (GIF Image, 200x100 pixels)
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.vms/browse_frm/thread/a0a2b8f156be5d1e/05e6490c0fb1e812?hl=en&

Digital (bars) - digital.gif (GIF Image, 250x78 pixels) - Wayback
Machine
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.vms/browse_frm/thread/a0a2b8f156be5d1e/05e6490c0fb1e812?hl=en&

> BTW, after seeing the announcement for the PDP LinkedIn group, I was
> wondering if there was interest in a Digital alumni group. I see them for HP
> and IBM and other computer companies; DEC needs to be represented there. Or
> is there already one there that I somehow missed?

Digital Alumni Website
http://www.decalumni.com/

Digital Semiconductor Alumni home page
http://www.bershad.com/ds/

DIGITAL Workstations Engineering Alumni & Alumnae Page
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1than/dwsalum.htm

Illinois & Wisconsin Former Digital Equipment Corporation Employees
http://www.exdec.org/

oud digital; digital; reunie - Digital Netherlands Reunion
http://www.ouddigital.nl/

Southern California Digital Equipment Corporation Alumni web site
http://www.socaldec.org/

Welkom bij DECnet - Nederland Ex-employé Trefpunt
http://www.decnet.nl/

DECwest Alumni
http://www.decwestalumni.org/

DECwest Storage Group Alumni - Wayback Machine
http://web.archive.org/web/20060821183416/http://www.naturalcauses.com/storage/

DEC Notes Conference for DEC_ALUMNI
http://www.openvms.org/stories.php?story=04/11/29/6804517

Neil Rieck's *DEC Memorial Site* - Wayback Machine
http://web.archive.org/web/20041208014957/http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/links/dec_memorial_site.html

*DECadence - using Mr. Peabody's Wayback Machine*
http://web.archive.org/web/20030602184625/http://www.telnet.hu/hamster/decadence/e_index.html

Cheers!

Keith Cayemberg

Keith Cayemberg

Dec 14, 2007, 4:37:24 PM12/14/07
Oops! Soory, I had a little mistake with Cut&Paste - thrice!

Digital (bars) - digital_logo_bleu.gif (GIF Image, 106x37

http://oase.uci.ru.nl/~polf/digital/logos/digital_logo_bleu.gif

http://www.mcmanis.com/chuck/computers/vaxen/images/purple-dec-logo.gif

Digital (bars) - digital.gif (GIF Image, 250x78 pixels) - Wayback
Machine

http://web.archive.org/web/20040117191549/http://www.xanthosmicrosystems.com/~joachim/digital.gif

Cheers!

Keith

Bob Kaplow

Dec 14, 2007, 5:33:27 PM12/14/07
In article <fjum5e$9o7$1...@pcls4.std.com>, mor...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael Moroney) writes:
> There is another difference between the maroon and blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
> logos. The blue one has square dots on the i, the maroon has round dots.

Sharp eye! I never caught the change, but even my pdp-8 front panel has
square dots over the eyes.

JF Mezei

Dec 14, 2007, 6:05:19 PM12/14/07
Paul Anderson wrote:
> I got a monochrome PostScript version from the senior engineer whose
> commute will become shorter with our move to Massachusetts.

Would be interested in it. Is is the pre-Palmer logo, or the post Palmer
era logo ? (ega: suare dots on I or round ones ) ?

JF Mezei

Dec 14, 2007, 8:43:56 PM12/14/07
Bob Kaplow wrote:
>> logos. The blue one has square dots on the i, the maroon has round dots.
>
> Sharp eye! I never caught the change, but even my pdp-8 front panel has
> square dots over the eyes.

You don't remember when Palmer took office ? One of the first things he
decided to do was to give Digital a new image by changing its logo. The
type of red/maroon was slightly changed, the dots on i's were changed,
and as I have now learned on the vt100.net site, the shape of the "a"
was ever so slightly altered.

Lots of people joked about how much this change would cost Digital just
to change the colour a little bit and put rounded dots. The rounded
dots, according to an obviously highl;y paid PR firm, was to send a
message that Digital would now be friendlier and more flexible than a
"rigid" Digital with square dots.

If there is interest, and Mr anderson gives me the .ps file, I could
generate .PDFs and other artwork format as well as properly scaled
images of the Dec logo.

Main, Kerry

Dec 14, 2007, 9:09:12 PM12/14/07

[snip ...]

Speaking of Palmer days .. One of the things I remember was him sending an
email to the entire Manufacturing Org + lots of other parts of the company
congratulating a group on getting one of the Alpha products to market in
a very tight timeframe ( I forget which one it was).

Oh yeah, the interesting part was that it was a VMSmail - not All-In-1
as the entire Manufacturing org was one of the last hold-outs. Being the
pack rat I am, I could likely did that memo out - ah well ..

:-)

Regards

Kerry Main
Senior Consultant
HP Services Canada
Voice: 613-592-4660
Fax: 613-591-4477
kerryDOTmainAThpDOTcom
(remove the DOT's and AT)

Michael Moroney

Dec 15, 2007, 10:10:52 PM12/15/07
kapl...@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) writes:

>I'm looking for a nice graphic of the old blue (or older) |d|i|g|i|t|a|l|
>logo. Preferable something drawn with graphic software rather than
>photographed or scanned. All I've been able to find is the later red one,
>like this: http://www.vaxination.ca/vms/alpha/digital_556.jpg

Anyone running an old (pre-1993, maybe later) version of VMS w/DECwindows
has the blue |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| logo on their system. The one that displays
on the screen before you login. I don't remember the file name other than
it doesn't have a normal (.gif/jpg/whatever) extension.

Bob Kaplow

Dec 17, 2007, 11:36:53 AM12/17/07
In article <w0VwHk...@eisner.encompasserve.org>, kapl...@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) writes:

Thanks to everyone that responded with links. I think I've found the mother
lode, thanks to Paul Anderson and Ned Batchelder. This is now probably the
ultimate logo reference:

http://nedbatchelder.com/blog/20071216T110049.html

> BTW, after seeing the announcement for the PDP LinkedIn group, I was
> wondering if there was interest in a Digital alumni group. I see them for HP
> and IBM and other computer companies; DEC needs to be represented there. Or
> is there already one there that I somehow missed?

And I've discovered that there isn't one but at least TWO DEC alumni groups
on LinkdIn already. But they don't show up on the rather small group index
pages. At least one of the creators wants to merge the two into one if
possible. Those ex-DECcies on LinkedIn can go to

https://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/31829/5C2521314E46/

and/or

http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/28209/0A356A3C554C

Alas, one uses the Palmer era red logo (a remnant of all the red ink from
his era), and the other a logo that doesn't incorporate the 7 lower case
block letters we all know and love. That will have to change!

Michael Unger

Dec 18, 2007, 1:55:17 PM12/18/07
On 2007-12-17 17:36, "Bob Kaplow" wrote:

> Thanks to everyone that responded with links. I think I've found the mother
> lode, thanks to Paul Anderson and Ned Batchelder. This is now probably the
> ultimate logo reference:
>
> http://nedbatchelder.com/blog/20071216T110049.html
>

> [...]

> Alas, one uses the Palmer era red logo (a remnant of all the red ink from

> his era), [...]

Does anyone happen to know the colours (CMYK values preferred very much)
of the "blue" and/or "red" variants?

Michael

--
Real names enhance the probability of getting real answers.
My e-mail account at DECUS Munich is no longer valid.

Peter Weaver

Jan 2, 2008, 9:12:26 AM1/2/08

> Thanks to everyone that responded with links. I think I've found the
> mother
> lode, thanks to Paul Anderson and Ned Batchelder. This is now probably the
> ultimate logo reference:
>
> http://nedbatchelder.com/blog/20071216T110049.html

Here is a copy of a note I just sent Ned that some here may find
interesting;

Hi Ned,

I was just catching up on my comp.os.vms reading and saw the thread about
the DEC Logo. A few years ago I was looking for information about the DEC
Logo because I wanted to build logo like buttons on my website (a quick look
at www.weaverconsulting.ca would show you what I mean). I found two versions
of the DEC Logo in .PS files, one was the one you put on your blog and the
other was in a document named "Before You Install DEC InstantSQL for Rdb/VMS
Version 1.1" (AV-PM4KB-TE). The second version had your history of the logo
and complete comments on the characters as you drew them so it was easier to
understand than the first one. Here is a copy of the details if you want to
add it to your blog.

%> Postamble of file USER1:[AXTELL.FETCH]000_INSTANTSQL_BYI.DVI_PS.
% DefineFont:F206 Category:15 Pointsize:14
% DownloadPSFont
%!PS-Adobe-2.0
%%Title: PostScript Digital Logo Font, v1.1
%%Creator: Ned Batchelder
%%CreationDate: 9-Nov-87
%%DocumentFonts: Symbol
%%DocumentSuppliedFonts: DigitalLogo
%%EndComments
%
% DIGITAL INTERNAL USE ONLY
%
% INTRODUCTION:
% This rendition of the Digital logo was prepared by Ned Batchelder using
% Adobe Illustrator and hand manipulation of the resulting PostScript code.
% Photographic masters of the logo were obtained from David Comberg in the
% Graphic Design Group. Additional consultation was provided by Elliot
% Hendrickson, one of the original designers of the logo.
%
% USE:
% This file defines a new PostScript font, called /DigitalLogo. It consists
% of three characters. (d) is the entire Digital logo, (t) is a small
% trademark symbol, and (T) is a large trademark symbol. The font is
designed
% so that the argument to scalefont is the height of the logo. There is no
% extra white space around the logo at all. The trademarks are designed to
be
% shown right after the logo, and they align themselves. The only correct
% strings to show with this font are (d), (dt), and (dT). There is an entry
% (named GapWidth) in the font dictionary which gives the unscaled width of
% the gap between the blocks. This distance is given because it is used as a
% unit to determine how much space to leave around the logo.
%
% HISTORY:
% The logo was designed in 1957 by Elliot Hendrickson, who was then working
% as an independent designer. He was contracted by DEC to do a brochure, and
% DEC wanted a logo to accompany it. The logo up to then had been the
letters
% DEC in blocks the shape of the plug-in cards that DEC had been producing.
% Elliot re-worked the logo, incorporating letters which were hand-drawn for
% the purpose by Arthur Hover(?). The logo has been maintained since then in
% conventional technology, ie, film masters. There was at least one
reworking
% of the logo at some point.
%
% The masters I received had a number of interesting features. The boxes
were
% not all the same width, and there seemed to be no logic to which boxes
were
% wider. The 'g' was the narrowest, and the 'i' and 'l' were second widest.
% Also, the two 'i's were not exactly the same shape. On ten-inch masters,
% (one box to an 8綞11 sheet), the boxes were not rectangles, but were very
% slightly tapered in wierd ways. I assume that the tapering is the result
of
% too many reproductions, but the difference in widths may have been
% deliberate at some time. Elliot reports that when he drew it, all boxes
% were the same width. I have retained the different widths in my version,
% since the experts I had at hand did not seem to think I should make them
% uniform.
%
% Please feel free to use this logo, but keep in mind the following:
%
% 1. This code is for INTERNAL USE ONLY.
% 2. I am not entirely happy with the final shapes of the letters, and am
% hoping to improve them. Please allow for future updates to this code.
% 3. Only use this logo within the guidelines of the Corporate Identity
% program. If you use this font precisely as is, you can't get in much
% trouble. Don't take the shapes and do strange things with them.
% In particular, the Identity states that the logo is a one-color logo: The
% letters are actually holes in the blocks, through which the background can
% be seen. Do not modify this code so that the letters are always white.
%
% Edit history:
%
% 21-Sep-87 nmb Created as a standalone file with demo.
% 6-Nov-87 nmb Converted to font form.
% 9-Nov-87 nmb Removed // uses for compatibility with LW Classics
%

%%BeginFont: DigitalLogo
10 dict begin

/FontInfo 3 dict def
FontInfo begin
/Notice
(The Digital logo is a registered trademark of Digital Equipment
Corporation.)
def
/FullName (Digital logo) def
/version (1.1) def
end

/FontType 3 def % This is a user-defined font
/FontMatrix matrix def % Use an identity transform
/FontBBox [ 0 0 3.383 1 ] def % Logo itself is biggest
/GapWidth .070 def % The width of the gap between boxes

/Encoding 256 array def
0 1 255 { Encoding exch /.notdef put } bind for

Encoding
dup (d) 0 get /DEC-logo put % (d) gives logo
dup (t) 0 get /smalltrademark put % (t) gives small trademark
(T) 0 get /largetrademark put % (T) gives large trademark

/Work 15 dict def % for doing work in font.

/BuildChar {
exch begin % Use the font dictionary
Work begin
Encoding exch get % Look up the character name
load % Pull out the procedure
exec % Run it.
end % Work
end % fontdict
} bind def

Work begin

/.notdef {} def

%
% - `DEC-logo' -
%
% Images a DEC logo with the lower left corner at the current origin, with a
% height of one unit, in the current color.
%

/m /moveto load def
/l /lineto load def
/c /curveto load def

/DEC-logo {
3.383 0 0 0 3.383 1 setcachedevice
{ % D
% d counter
.2930 .3513 m
.2932 .3217 .2587 .2758 .2167 .2757 c
.1719 .2759 .1280 .3165 .1280 .3977 c
.1280 .4801 .1718 .5225 .2153 .5227 c
.2587 .5225 .2932 .4760 .2930 .4407 c
closepath
% d outside
.2953 .5787 m
.2953 .7600 l
.3843 .7600 l
.3843 .1960 l
.2923 .1960 l
.2923 .2220 l
.2848 .2144 .2531 .1813 .1990 .1813 c
.1426 .1812 .0417 .2282 .0417 .3977 c
.0417 .5414 .1171 .6157 .2067 .6157 c
.2399 .6157 .2725 .6039 .2953 .5787 c
closepath
% d box
.432 0.0 m
.432 1.0 l
.000 1.0 l
.000 0.0 l
closepath
} exec
{ % I
% i box
.927 0.0 m
.927 1.0 l
.502 1.0 l
.502 0.0 l
closepath
% i body
.6695 .196 m
.6695 .600 l
.7595 .600 l
.7595 .196 l
closepath
% i dot
.6695 .655 m
.6695 .755 l
.7595 .755 l
.7595 .655 l
closepath
} exec
{ % G
% g counter
1.2813 .4478 m
1.2813 .4837 1.2409 .5208 1.2035 .5208 c
1.1713 .5208 1.1215 .5003 1.1215 .4084 c
1.1215 .3105 1.1827 .2962 1.2030 .2962 c
1.2433 .2962 1.2813 .3239 1.2813 .3667 c
closepath
% g box
0.997 1.0 m
1.415 1.0 l
1.415 0.0 l
0.997 0.0 l
closepath
% g outside
1.2822 .5609 m
1.2729 .5742 1.2424 .6044 1.1988 .6044 c
1.1311 .6043 1.0367 .5652 1.0367 .3955 c
1.0368 .2617 1.1437 .2168 1.1876 .2168 c
1.2350 .2167 1.2702 .2443 1.2798 .2547 c
1.2798 .2126 l
1.2798 .1815 1.2479 .1511 1.1945 .1511 c
1.1485 .1512 1.1437 .1807 1.1437 .1953 c
1.0497 .1953 l
1.0497 .1486 1.0798 .0804 1.1888 .0803 c
1.2864 .0803 1.3186 .1176 1.3325 .1316 c
1.3442 .1434 1.3617 .1758 1.3617 .2017 c
1.3617 .6 l
1.2823 .6 l
closepath
} exec
{ % I
% i box
1.910 0.0 m
1.910 1.0 l
1.485 1.0 l
1.485 0.0 l
closepath
% i body
1.6525 .196 m
1.6525 .6 l
1.7425 .6 l
1.7425 .196 l
closepath
% i dot
1.6525 .655 m
1.6525 .755 l
1.7425 .755 l
1.7425 .655 l
closepath
} exec
{ % T
% t
2.2128 .7525 m
2.1305 .7525 l
2.1305 .6071 l
2.0874 .6071 l
2.0874 .5396 l
2.1305 .5396 l
2.1305 .2852 l
2.1305 .2367 2.1554 .1986 2.2248 .1987 c
2.2573 .1987 2.2560 .1985 2.2842 .2034 c
2.2842 .2874 l
2.2658 .2842 2.2601 .2829 2.2511 .2832 c
2.2338 .2837 2.2128 .2898 2.2128 .3206 c
2.2128 .5395 l
2.2780 .5395 l
2.2780 .6071 l
2.2128 .6071 l
closepath
% t box
2.404 0.0 m
1.980 0.0 l
1.980 1.0 l
2.404 1.0 l
closepath
} exec
{ % A
% a box
2.474 0.0 m
2.474 1.0 l
2.888 1.0 l
2.888 0.0 l
closepath
% a outside
2.5439 .4728 m
2.6210 .4728 l
2.6210 .5138 2.6422 .5353 2.6826 .5353 c
2.7470 .5354 2.7449 .5067 2.7448 .4708 c
2.7050 .4553 2.7087 .4557 2.6480 .4419 c
2.5709 .4241 2.5237 .3911 2.5236 .3112 c
2.5237 .2331 2.5793 .1914 2.6420 .1915 c
2.7048 .1914 2.7178 .2117 2.7438 .2290 c
2.7438 .1978 l
2.8422 .1978 l
2.8190 .2352 2.8251 .2425 2.8249 .2706 c
2.8250 .2926 2.8249 .5080 2.8249 .5080 c
2.8250 .5507 2.8028 .5768 2.7883 .5855 c
2.7521 .6071 2.7074 .6097 2.6826 .6098 c
2.5945 .6096 2.5438 .5653 2.5439 .4728 c
closepath
% a counter
2.7448 .3946 m
2.7448 .3401 l
2.7448 .3152 2.7145 .2670 2.6550 .2669 c
2.6260 .2668 2.6098 .2883 2.6097 .3162 c
2.6098 .3442 2.6335 .3657 2.6536 .3697 c
2.6745 .3739 2.7226 .3862 2.7448 .3946 c
closepath
} exec
{ % L
% l box
3.383 0.0 m
3.383 1.0 l
2.958 1.0 l
2.958 0.0 l
closepath
% l
3.1255 .196 m
3.1255 .765 l
3.2155 .765 l
3.2155 .196 l
closepath
} exec
fill
} bind def

%
% % pct `trademark' --
%
% Borrow the sans-serif trademark symbol from /Symbol. AFM file says:
% C 228 ; WX 786 ; N trademarksans ; B 5 293 725 673 ;
% We scale it down to pct percent of the height of the logo and superscript
% it some, and voila!
%

/trademark {
/s exch .380 div def
/w s .725 mul .070 add def
/u 1 .673 s mul sub def
w 0 0 u w 1 setcachedevice
/Symbol findfont s scalefont setfont
.070 u m % Superscript it
(\344) show
} bind def

%
% These are two different trademarks (just different sizes).
%

/smalltrademark { .15 trademark } def
/largetrademark { .25 trademark } def

end % Work dictionary

currentdict % Get the font dict
end % Close it up
/DigitalLogo exch definefont pop % Define the font.

%%EndFont
% EndDownloadPSFont

Peter Weaver
www.weaverconsulting.ca
CHARON-VAX CHARON-AXP DataStream Reflection PreciseMail HP Commercial
Hardware

etms...@yahoo.co.uk

Jan 3, 2008, 7:58:12 AM1/3/08
On 16 Dec 2007, 03:10, moro...@world.std.spaamtrap.com (Michael
Moroney) wrote:

Does anyone remember the name of the logo file for the VAX and Alpha
versions of DW-Motif?

I know it's been posted here before as I used that posting to be able
to change the logo on my v7.3 login screen. Now that I'm looking an
8.3 upgrade in the eye for home (once I've sorted out my Perl issues)
I'd like to put the digital logo back in place.

Ta muchly!
Steve

JF Mezei

Jan 3, 2008, 12:06:17 PM1/3/08

http://www.hp.com/go/vms and then choose the FAQ or:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/faq/vmsfaq.txt

On page 11-9 there is a description of how to customize the login logo.

for Alpha:
##
The login logo is stored as an XPM bitmap image in the
text file
SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSCOMMON.CDE$DEFAULTS.SYSTEM.APPCONFIG.ICONS.C]DECDTLOGO.PM,
and it can be changed. Copy the file to
SYS$SYSROOT:[SYSCOMMON.CDE$DEFAULTS.USER.APPCONFIG.ICONS.C]DECDTLOGO.PM,
as DECwindows upgrades can replace the system version
of this file.

For VAX, you need to write a command procedure to get it done (it is
discussed briefly in that section of the FAQ)

Craig A. Berry

Jan 4, 2008, 11:09:17 PM1/4/08
In article
<d86dc814-178e-4109...@n20g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
etms...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> I'm looking an
> 8.3 upgrade in the eye for home (once I've sorted out my Perl issues)

What sort of Perl issues are you having?

etms...@yahoo.co.uk

Jan 7, 2008, 5:37:00 AM1/7/08
On 5 Jan, 04:09, "Craig A. Berry" <craigbe...@mac.com.spamfooler>
wrote:
> In article
> <d86dc814-178e-4109-b83f-ff623dc2e...@n20g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,

>  etmsr...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> > I'm looking an
> > 8.3 upgrade in the eye for home (once I've sorted out my Perl issues)
>
> What sort of Perl issues are you having?
>
> --

I need to use the VMS::Mail module in order to retrive email from my
ISP (they only provide POP3 mailboxes for ADSL customers). The kit
was having problems building and installing with VMS V8.3 and the
version of Perl shipping from HP.

As of this morning, I have a horrible feeling that my system disk has
died anyway as it was going into mount verification, coming out, then
going in the out etc (you get the idea). :o(

Richard B. Gilbert

Jan 7, 2008, 8:10:03 AM1/7/08

If the disk hasn't actually died, it seems clear that it is, at least,
terminally ill. Make a full backup if you haven't already, and reach
for your checkbook!

etms...@yahoo.co.uk

Jan 7, 2008, 2:47:58 PM1/7/08
On 7 Jan, 13:10, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilber...@comcast.net> wrote:
> for your checkbook!- Hide quoted text -

Never say never (at least not until the backup's completed!) but it
looks like the problem wasn't the system disk per se, though the user
disk (where the page and swap file were) has gone mount verify
timeout. Dunno if that means that the user disk was throwing rubbish
onto the SCSI bus (it's the internal bus in a rack mount AS1000A) or
what. 165 errors on PKA0, 84 on DKA400:...

Anyway, the system disk backup is running now and the user disk
doesn't change too much so the backup of a month or so ago should be
ok if I can't cajole it into mounting by rebooting the system.

Perl:
I was attempting to upgrade from VMS v7.3 on Alpha to VMS v8.3.
Using the Perl v5.8.6 build on the HP website, the VMS::Mail module
(from David North IIRC) wouldn't build. There were errors at compile
time relating to the version of Perl it would run under (it was
hardcoded to 5.6 and needed the source editing to put 5.8 in there
instead).
It'd be easier for me if the Mail module was included in the Perl
build! :o(
Bernd Ulmann did suggest doing my own Perl build, but I'm a little
nervous about doing that.

Steve

Richard B. Gilbert

Jan 7, 2008, 3:32:58 PM1/7/08

If it's not one of your disks, you certainly have a problem on your SCSI
bus somewhere! These things normally run for months or years without
logging an error.

A mount verify means that the system lost contact with the disk and was
attempting to read the volume label to see what's mounted. The
timeout means that it tried for a while and got no response.

I'd suggest powering everything off, open up the computer, vacuum out
the dust bunnies and reseat the SCSI HBA. Disconnect and reconnect the
SCSI cable (both ends). If the disks are Storage Works, power them off
and reseat them too. Power on and try again. You might also check for
duplicate SCSI addresses. The HBA is normally 7 and the devices 0-6.
The addresses can be anything you like just make sure you have no
duplicates.

etms...@yahoo.co.uk

Jan 7, 2008, 6:05:53 PM1/7/08
> duplicates.- Hide quoted text -

It's probably dusty inside the 1000A, but the config is fairly stable
(has been that way for about four years IIRC). The bus is the main
logic board SCSI so it might be a case of swap the system board or
(more likely since it's easier) put a separate HBA card in there.

I guess the one saving grace is that the system doesn't do a lot so
didn't have anything in the page or swap files that were on the disk
that timed out of mount verification.

Craig A. Berry

Jan 7, 2008, 11:47:29 PM1/7/08
In article
<dbcb70bf-26bc-4fbd...@j20g2000hsi.googlegroups.com>,
etms...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> Perl:
> I was attempting to upgrade from VMS v7.3 on Alpha to VMS v8.3.
> Using the Perl v5.8.6 build on the HP website, the VMS::Mail module
> (from David North IIRC) wouldn't build. There were errors at compile
> time relating to the version of Perl it would run under (it was
> hardcoded to 5.6 and needed the source editing to put 5.8 in there
> instead).

Details!

> It'd be easier for me if the Mail module was included in the Perl
> build! :o(

Any problems you have building the extension against an installed Perl
would almost certainly also occur when simply inserting the extension
into the main Perl build process. I haven't built VMS::Mail myself in
quite awhile, but I believe it's included in the Perl 5.8.4 kit here:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware70/perl/

I should know, since I built it, but there's been a lot of water under
the bridge since then and I'm overdue to put together a new kit.

> Bernd Ulmann did suggest doing my own Perl build, but I'm a little
> nervous about doing that.

It's not that tough and there is help available. It's currently the
only way to get Perl 5.10.0, with its large file, hard link, symlink,
and other recent goodness. But there's also no urgent reason to go
that route if you have a lot based on the HP 5.8.6 kit.

While technical content on c.o.v is welcome, albeit a bit shocking at
this point, you may also want to consider the low-volume and more
targeted mailing list specifically for Perl on VMS issues. Just send
any old message to vmsperl-subscribe AT perl DOT org.

etms...@yahoo.co.uk

Jan 10, 2008, 4:40:46 AM1/10/08
On 8 Jan, 04:47, "Craig A. Berry" <craigbe...@mac.com.spamfooler>
wrote:
> In article
> <dbcb70bf-26bc-4fbd-b1be-a56c808a7...@j20g2000hsi.googlegroups.com>,

Hi Craig,

Having got the Perl 5.8.4 kit from the HP Freeware, is it just a case
of unzipping the file? There don't appear to be any makefiles etc.

thanks in advance

Steve

Craig A. Berry

Jan 11, 2008, 8:51:35 AM1/11/08
In article
<7585297d-e651-449d...@k2g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
etms...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> > I haven't built VMS::Mail myself in
> > quite awhile, but I believe it's included in the Perl 5.8.4 kit here:
> >
> > http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware70/perl/
> >

> Hi Craig,

> Having got the Perl 5.8.4 kit from the HP Freeware, is it just a case
> of unzipping the file? There don't appear to be any makefiles etc.

Yes, just unzip it wherever you want and run the included perl_setup.com.