VMS Update (big one)

Sue

Feb 2, 2007, 10:41:25 PM2/2/07
Dear Newsgroup,

Well we have an excellent update this time with loads of information
for you, which I know you enjoy. There is a lot of information and
announcements from OpenVMS Engineering that is not to be missed.

Warm Regards,
Sue

1.0 Sue's FAV's
New VMS Audio Update now avaialble
Site for the Storage Essentials Software suite
VMS Technical Journal
New Golden Eggs

2.0 Time Sensive
Parsec training
Encompass Canada (new Speakers added - You need to register for
this)

3.0 From Engineering
OpenVMS LDAP Authentication Patch Kits
Announcing the HP Web Services Integration Toolkit (WSIT) V1.2 for
OpenVMS Alpha and Integrity
Announcing the availability of HP Distributed NetBeans Version T5.0
Field Test 2 for OpenVMS Alpha and OpenVMS Integrity
Announcing JDK/JRE 5.0-2 for OpenVMS on HP Integrity servers for Java
Platform
Announcing HP C and C++ T7.3 compiler field test for OpenVMS Alpha
and Integrity.
GNV Version 2.1 with Symbolic Links Support for OpenVMS Alpha and I64
Version 8.3 is ready for download!

4.0 From our Partners

PointSecure provides enhanced security monitoring & reporting for
OpenVMS systems
Tdi Announces OpenVMS Management Suite
Brilliant Systems is pleased to announce new features to its flagship
Quintara web-based e-mail

5.0 In the Press

1.0 Sue's FAV's

4.0 of the VMS Audio Update is now Available and it is great make sure
you take time to listen to it http://www.openvms.org/pages.php?
page=VPN

OpenVMS description in Wikiedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenVMS

Here is a site for the Storage Essentials Software Suite:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12191_na/12191_na.HTML

OpenVMS Technical Journal call for participation - If you would like
to write an article for the June issue please submit an abstract by
Feb 23rd your article will be due by May 11th. Here is the URL for
submitting an article http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/journal/
cfp.html the last issue has received over 5,000 views in the first
week since it was published. http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/journal/
index.html

New Golden Eggs from Matti

http://goldeneggs.spyderbyte.com/geggs/GErx2660x.pdf

http://goldeneggs.spyderbyte.com/geggs/GTMSA30MIb.pdf

2.0 Time Sensitive
PARSEC Group has availability for the following training classes in
Denver, CO: HB518S OpenVMS System, Network & Internet Security -
February 19-23, 2007 U3727S OpenVMS System Performance Management -
February 19-23, 2007 U3716S OpenVMS Fundamentals - February 26 thru
March 2, 2007 U3702S hp Tru64 UNIX TruCluster Configuration &
Management - February 26 thru March 2, 2007

Please note: Training with PARSEC is also available on-site at your
company location or through e-Learning (participate with the Denver
training class at your company location).

Encompass Canada - Event http://www.encompasscanada.com/seminars.htm
See you at this event and we will have a good time together Speakers
http://www.encompasscanada.com/seminar-presenters.htm

3.0 From Engineering

OpenVMS LDAP Authentication Patch Kits

OpenVMS Engineering is pleased to announce the availability of new
production quality LDAP Authentication patch kits -- VMS83A_ACMELDAP-
V0100 for Alpha Servers and VMS83I_ACMELDAP-V0100 for Integrity
servers.

These kits provide optional "login" and "set password" functionality
that utilizes the SYS$ACM system service for user authentication and
password changes. When this optional functionality is enabled, login
and password change requests are sent to the SYS$ACM service and
handled by the ACME_SERVER process’s authentication agents. These kits
contain an LDAP authentication agent that allows for login and
password-change requests to be directed to any LDAP V3 compliant
directory server.

These patch kits have been rigorously tested and are qualified for use
in production environments.

Once the kit is installed, detailed information on how to configure
the system can be found in SYS $HELP:ACME_DEV_README.TXT and release
notes found at SYS$HELP:VMS83x_ACMELDAP-V0100.RELEASE_NOTES
----------------------------------
Announcing the HP Web Services Integration Toolkit (WSIT) V1.2 for
OpenVMS Alpha and Integrity.

WSIT was designed to call non-Java applications from Java
applications. To learn more about WSIT go to: http://
h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/ips/wsit/

Announcing the availability of HP Distributed NetBeans Version T5.0
Field Test 2 for OpenVMS Alpha and OpenVMS Integrity.

Distributed NetBeans allows desktops such as Windows, Linux and HP-UX
to be used for OpenVMS remote development. For more information or to
download the Distributed NetBeans T5.0 FT2 kit, please visit http://
www.hp.com/products/openvms/distributednetbeans/

Announcing JDK/JRE 5.0-2 for OpenVMS on HP Integrity servers for Java
Platform

Based on Sun Microsystems' Java 2 Platform Standard Edition (J2SE),
this release passes all the tests in Sun's Java Compatibility Kit test
suite. Share this with your licensed OpenVMS Integrity server
customers, as they are entitled to download HP software for the Java
Platform at no cost, subject to the product's Software Licensing Terms
and Conditions.
To download this latest software, visit the Java Technology Software
(OpenVMS and Tru64™ UNIX®) website. http://h18012.www1.hp.com/java/
alpha/

Announcing HP C and C++ T7.3 compiler field test for OpenVMS Alpha and
Integrity.

You are invited to participate in the HP C and C++ T7.3 for OpenVMS
Alpha and Integrity customer field test.

To learn more visit the C and C++ for OpenVMS websites:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/commercial/cplus/c_cpp_t73_ft_announcement.html

GNV Version 2.1 with Symbolic Links Support for OpenVMS Alpha and I64
Version 8.3 is ready for download!

HP is please to announce the availability of GNV V2.1 for OpenVMS
V8.3 customers. GNV (GNU's Not VMS) is an open source, GNU-based UNIX
environment for OpenVMS that provides UNIX application developers a
UNIX-style environment on OpenVMS. GNV Version 2.1 addresses issues
that some OpenVMS V8.3 customers observed when trying to remove GNV
V2.0 from their OpenVMS V8.3 systems. OpenVMS engineering is
developing a GNV V1.9 kit for installation on OpenVMS systems prior to
V8.3 that does not have symbolic links support. The GNV kits are
available from the OpenVMS OpenSource Tools website at http://
h71000.www7.hp.com/opensource/opensource.html#gnv

4.0 From our Partners

PointSecure provides enhanced security monitoring & reporting for
OpenVMS systems System Detective version 8.3 offers improved
configurability, user control, and security reporting

SAN ANTONIO, Texas, GE Healthcare Technology Conference, January 30,
2006 - PointSecure, a leading provider of security and auditing
solutions for OpenVMS systems, today announced the availability of
System Detective version 8.3 offering enhanced security monitoring,
user control, & reporting for OpenVMS systems including HP Integrity
Servers.

PointSecure's System Detective protects OpenVMS systems from internal
and external threats and helps to ensure that corporate security
policies are proactively enforced. System Detective enhances native
OpenVMS security by recording session activity, managing unattended
inactive terminal sessions, restricting access to sensitive files or
images, and interactively monitoring, assisting, or taking control of
selected user sessions.

New features offered by System Detective version 8.3 include:

· Support for HP OpenVMS Alpha 8.3, Integrity 8.2-1, and
Integrity 8.3

· Set a custom control key for locking sessions that doesn’t
conflict with existing applications

· Limit advisee sessions to “view only” to limit errors
during ADVISE sessions

· Automated actions can be taken if a rule is broken via new
rule-based keyboard lock

· Control user-invoked keyboard lock or unlock

· Prevent users from manually locking and/or unlocking other
user sessions

· Search log file contents to find matching text strings and
improve security reporting

Availability
PointSecure System Detective version 8.3 is available now. For more
information, to upgrade, or to request a demonstration of System
Detective, please visit: www.pointsecure.com.

--------------------------
While OpenVMS is one of the most secure operating systems on the
planet, the software we use to manage it is sometimes outdated and
lacking. As a result, Secure, Supported, and Updated Management
Solutions are a requirement when managing today's critical OpenVMS
infrastructure. Yet, some software vendors have left you with out-
dated, unsupported products and have no plans for future updates. In
fact they have totally abandoned the OpenVMS customer.

Are you concerned with:

* Being unable to upgrade your VMS Management monitoring tools when
you upgrade your hardware or operating system?
* Not having secure management capability across your entire realm?
* Not having your monitoring tool understand the latest OpenVMS
events?
* Not having a product actually maintained and updated without
complaining to the developer first?
* Worrying about integration with frameworks (Unicenter, OpenView,
Tivoli, Netcool)?
* Using software that has features 10 years old while the industry
advances?

ConsoleWorks Solution
Using the TDi OpenVMS Management Suite you will benefit from a
solution
that:
* Runs on OpenVMS VAX, Alpha, and Itanium
* Securely manages & monitors OpenVMS VAX, Alpha, and Itanium
* Provides full support and timely product updates
* Seamlessly integrates with other tools for expansion
* Uses an updated Web interface or CLI interface
* Plug and Play solution replacing Console Manager and WatchDog TDi
offers you the ability to replace your PCM and WatchDog products at a
special price until March 19, 2007 with the Open VMS Management Suite.
This limited time offer includes:
* ConsoleWorks Software Open VMS Edition , replacing PCM
* 10 ConsoleWorks Open VMS Edition Console Connections
* 10 SENSys (Watchdog Edition) Instances, replacing WatchDog on 10
Machines
* Console Encryption with the SSL and SSH Security Package
* OpenVMS Intelligent Event Module (OpenVMS 8.2 Event Knowledge &
Definitions)
* Installation and Training Onsite (4 days of training, travel
included)
* Silver Level Support and Maintenance for 1 year

Your price for this exclusive offer is based on a 60% savings off the
standard retail price. To purchase the TDi OpenVMS Management Suite,
visit http://www.tditx.com/contact-ovmsoffer.asp or call 800.695.1258.
OpenVMS Ambassadors may receive this package as a courtesy for their
personal use in their LABS or environments for demonstration purposes.

FAQ:

1. Can I expand this configuration? Yes, you may purchase more console
connections or installations of ConsoleWorks or SENSys as required. If
you need a larger starting point - call TDi for special pricing.

2. Do you support disaster tolerant configurations? Yes

3. Can I manage my other Linux, Unix, and Windows environments with my
VMS ConsoleWorks? Yes

4. Can I put SENSYS on other Operating Systems? No - It is ONLY for
OpenVMS VAX, Alpha and Itanium versions 5.5-2 through 8.2

5. Do you have Event Definitions for storage, networks and other
operating systems? YES, see http://www.tditx.com/support_resource.asp

6. Do you have other features and capabilities not listed here? YES,
call our office at +1.800.695.1258 and we can demonstrate them via
Webex or via a call.

TECSys Development OpenVMS Management Suite

--------------------------

Quintara Update - 30 Jan 2007

HP Business Partner Brilliant Systems is pleased to announce new
features to its flagship Quintara web-based e-mail and personal
productivity software for OpenVMS. In addition to various updates to
the user interface, speed improvements for message searching, and
easier navigation, some exciting new capabilities have been
introduced:

- Notebook - Quintara now offers a personal notebook where users can
enter and manage text notes. No more scribbling notes on sticky paper
or the backs of napkins, now you can store your notes safely in your
Quintara account and access them from anywhere! Notes can be organized
by category, are searchable, and can easily be e-mailed.

- Mailing Lists - Quintara now offers the ability to create and manage
personal mailing lists for mass mailing operations. Full functionality
will be available next month.

- Personal File Share - Quintara now offers a speedy, virus-scanned
web based file share. Upload files from your office to your share and
use them at home or on the road without carrying a vulnerable USB
thumb drive around. You can also access OpenVMS files copied into your
share directory, great for checking on batch job log files, for
example. Since access is through your existing SSL-secured Quintara
session, the file data is protected in transit.

Stop by https://trysecureserver.com for more information or to sign up
for a Quintara demonstration account on a running Quintara Secure
Server system. Quintara is supported on OpenVMS 7.3-2 and greater on
most Integrity and Alphaserver platforms, and is available as software-
only (Quintara) or a packaged hardware and software solution (Quintara
Secure Server).

5.0 In the Press http://www.huliq.com/8798/hp-helping-customers-to-reduce-risk
HP Helping Customers to Reduce Risk

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070131005762&newsLang=en
Crossroads Systems to Demonstrate BIA Leadership at RSA Conference
2007 in San Francisco

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070130005341&newsLang=en
PointSecure Provides Enhanced Security Monitoring & Reporting

http://ajax.sys-con.com/read/296623.htm InterSystems Introduces CACHE
2007 with Innovations for Web Developers

http://www.crn.com/sections/hp/hp.jhtml?articleId=196902852 (quote
from Susan Underhill blog)

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2007/1/prweb497979.htm Essential Manual
to Making Java a Usable Language on OpenVMS

Richard Maher

Feb 3, 2007, 5:00:03 AM2/3/07

Has anyone heard anything on the TCP/IP (EAK or other) IPsec functionality?
Still two months of the quater to go I suppose.

Regards Richard Maher.

"Sue" <susan_s...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Dear Newsgroup,

Warm Regards,
Sue

4.0 From our Partners

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12191_na/12191_na.HTML

http://goldeneggs.spyderbyte.com/geggs/GErx2660x.pdf

http://goldeneggs.spyderbyte.com/geggs/GTMSA30MIb.pdf

3.0 From Engineering

(OpenVMS and Tru64T UNIX®) website. http://h18012.www1.hp.com/java/

Matt Muggeridge

Feb 5, 2007, 3:42:43 PM2/5/07
Hi Richard,

The IPsec EAK is now planned for H2CY07. This is being announced at the
OpenVMS Technical Update Days that are held around the globe.

The Asia Pacific TUD is currently planned for April/May. I will make sure
this is announced in cov also.

Matt.

"Richard Maher" <mahe...@hotspamnotmail.com> wrote in message

Richard Maher

Feb 5, 2007, 7:02:55 PM2/5/07
Hi Matt,

Good to see you're alive.

> The IPsec EAK is now planned for H2CY07. This is being announced at the
> OpenVMS Technical Update Days that are held around the globe.

Well that's a big "Could do better" stamp for you :-) Are we talkin'
December?

Just a suggestion, but can we now drop the EAK nomenclature and simply
bundle IPsec with TCP/IP .Next? (You know nobody's gonna install something
that says "Early Adopter")

Anyway all will be forgiven if you can answer me this: -

I have a Mickey-Mouse Webserver knocked up in DCL (see below) that is being
used to send an Applet I'm testing to my PC Browser it seems that once my
JAR (any) file exceeds somewhere between 7231 and 7244 bytes the Browser
client detects end of file on Socket and gives me this crappy ClassNotFound
Java error.

I really couldn't be arsed to install and configure a full blown webserver
so if you think 72NN is getting close to some TCP/IP Max seg size or looks
like 8192 minus o/head and I can simply Up some perameter for the time being
then please let me know!

Is it more an RMS COPY question?

I assume IE on Windows2000 is just doing a Streaming socket read; what's
causing it to barf?

Cheers Richard Maher
$!
$ server_user = f$getjpi(0,"username")
$ home_dir = f$trnlnm("sys$login","lnm$job")
$ set default 'home_dir
$!
$ create http_server.com
$ deck
$ open/read/write net sys$net
$ read net httpcmd /time=10/error=end
$ method = f$element (0 , " " , httpcmd)
$ path = f$element (1 , " " , httpcmd)
$ show sym/all
$ if "GET".eqs.method
$ then
$ filename = "t3$applets:" + f$element (1 , "/" , path)
$ if f$search(filename).nes.""
$ then
$ type = "application/octet-stream"
$ if f$parse(filename,,,"TYPE").eqs.".HTML" then type="text/html"
$ write net f$fao("HTTP/1.0 200 OK!/")
$ write net f$fao("Content-Type: ''type'!/")
$ len = (f$file(filename , "EOF") - 1) * 512 + f$file(filename,"FFB")
$ write net f$fao("Content-Length: ''len'!/!/")
$ copy 'filename' net
$ exit
$ endif
$ endif
$ write net f$fao("HTTP/1.0 404 not found!/!/")
$ exit
$ eod
$!
$ set noon