Who locked the file ? (Help needed)

nmike

Feb 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/3/00
I've got AS1200 running OVMS 7.1-H1 and Pathworks 5.0F.
I need to delete one of the files from Pathworks shared
directory, but system replies with
%DELETE-W-FILNOTDEL, error deleting file ...
-RMS-E-FLK, file currently locked by another user.
I'm pretty sure that nobody really locks it. Is it possible
to unlock the file some way, or at least to find out
who locks it ? I need to delete this file ASAP, because it
stops my application from running properly.

Mikhail Nosov,
Morsviazsputnik IT Manager.
http://www.marsat.ru

John E. Malmberg

Feb 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/3/00

Mikhail Nosov <mikeNO...@marsat.ru.invalid> wrote in message

> I've got AS1200 running OVMS 7.1-H1 and Pathworks 5.0F.
> I need to delete one of the files from Pathworks shared
> directory, but system replies with
> %DELETE-W-FILNOTDEL, error deleting file ...
> -RMS-E-FLK, file currently locked by another user.
> I'm pretty sure that nobody really locks it. Is it possible
> to unlock the file some way, or at least to find out
> who locks it ? I need to delete this file ASAP, because it
> stops my application from running properly.

At http://www.deja.com search for "blocking.c" and "Heuvel" in the past
archives.

This is a program written by Hein van den Heuvel in July 1995 that may do
exactly what you want.

Also you can use the command $show device/files DEVICE: to show what files
are open on a device, /NOSYS eliminates the installed images from the list.

The ANALYZE/SYSTEM program can also show you LOCKS and RESOURCES.

All of the above may end up just telling you that the Pathworks Lanman
server has the file locked by some remote user.

I do not remember the incantations (if any existed) to get Pathworks 5.0F to
get that information.

With Pathworks 6.0x, it is ADMIN/PATH SHOW OPEN_FILES.

-John
wb8...@qsl.network

norm lastovica

Feb 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/3/00
Do SHOW DEVICE/FILE <devicewherethefileislocated>
from each node in the cluster. The PID(s) next to
the filename is the process (or processes) that
have the file open.

nmike wrote:

> I've got AS1200 running OVMS 7.1-H1 and Pathworks 5.0F.
> I need to delete one of the files from Pathworks shared
> directory, but system replies with
> %DELETE-W-FILNOTDEL, error deleting file ...
> -RMS-E-FLK, file currently locked by another user.
> I'm pretty sure that nobody really locks it. Is it possible
> to unlock the file some way, or at least to find out
> who locks it ? I need to delete this file ASAP, because it
> stops my application from running properly.
>

> Mikhail Nosov,
> Morsviazsputnik IT Manager.
> http://www.marsat.ru

norm lastovica / oracle rdb engineering / usa / 603.897.3505
reply to: nlas...@us.oracle.com

Mark Itzcovitz

Feb 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/3/00
show/dev/files "disk" will show you what process has the file open.
"nmike" <mikeNO...@marsat.ru.invalid> wrote in message
> [...]

Dryjanski, Tomasz

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00

Mikhail Nosov <mikeNO...@marsat.ru.invalid> wrote in message
> I've got AS1200 running OVMS 7.1-H1 and Pathworks 5.0F.
> I need to delete one of the files from Pathworks shared
> directory, but system replies with
> %DELETE-W-FILNOTDEL, error deleting file ...
> -RMS-E-FLK, file currently locked by another user.
> I'm pretty sure that nobody really locks it. Is it possible
> to unlock the file some way, or at least to find out
> who locks it ? I need to delete this file ASAP, because it
> stops my application from running properly.

Try
pipe show device dk... | search sys$input filename

where
dk... is a device name the file resides on
filename is the filename.
You should get a locking process name from this, and then eg. stop it.

HTH
Tomek D.

Peter LANGSTOEGER

Feb 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/5/00
In article <2201...@MVB.SAIC.COM>, "Dryjanski, Tomasz" <Tomasz.D...@intl.fritolay.com> writes:
>Mikhail Nosov <mikeNO...@marsat.ru.invalid> wrote in message
>> I've got AS1200 running OVMS 7.1-H1 and Pathworks 5.0F.
>> I need to delete one of the files from Pathworks shared
>> directory, but system replies with
>> %DELETE-W-FILNOTDEL, error deleting file ...
>> -RMS-E-FLK, file currently locked by another user.
>> I'm pretty sure that nobody really locks it.

The PATHWORKS server has a cache which holds the file open for
reaccess for a configurable amount of time (default is about 5 sec).

>> Is it possible
>> to unlock the file some way, or at least to find out
>> who locks it ? I need to delete this file ASAP, because it
>> stops my application from running properly.

Sure.

> Try
> pipe show device dk... | search sys$input filename

Requires VMS V7.1 or newer which is ok for this system.
And you forgot the /FILES qualifier...

But for older systems it is better to use

$ SHOW DEVICE/FILES/PAGE/SEARCH=file disk

Requires VMS V5.4 (IIRC) or newer.

> where
> dk... is a device name the file resides on

DK.. is a SCSI device name. If the file resides on another disk type,
then you are SOL. Use the real diskname. Check with SHO DEV D.

> filename is the filename.
> You should get a locking process name from this, and then eg. stop it.

You must use the command on all nodes in the cluster. You can't be sure,
that the process which locks the file is on the same node you are searching.

The SHOW DEVICE/FILES gives you the PID of the locking process. If the
PID is zero, then the file is locked by the system itself (eg. with INSTALL).

--
Peter "EPLAN" LANGSTOEGER Tel. +43 1 81111-2651
Network and OpenVMS system manager Fax. +43 1 81111-888