Help/message command not working

Martin Hunt

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

Running VMS 6.2. On 3 different systems, the help/message command
results in the following message (and no help):

Message number 05FD8013
Message number 05FD8023
Message number 05FD801B
Message number 05FD8033
Message number 05FD801B
Message number 05FD8043
Message number 05FD801B
Message number 05FD8053
Message number 05FD8013

Any ideas? I am checking the setup of the help files, but haven't found
anything obviously wrong so far.

--
Martin Hunt
Business Systems & Technology

avaj...@gtech.com

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

In article <3547C7...@nbnz.co.nz>,

Martin Hunt <marti...@nbnz.co.nz> wrote:
> Running VMS 6.2. On 3 different systems, the help/message command
> results in the following message (and no help):
>
> Message number 05FD8013

> Any ideas? I am checking the setup of the help files, but haven't found

> anything obviously wrong so far.

Known bug in VMS 6.2 ! Replace one file with the VMS 6.1 file
and everything will work.

What file ? It is some years since I last did this.
I wil guess SYS$SHARE:MSGHLP$ENGLISH.EXE, but please check
before doing anything.

Arne

Hoff Hoffman

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

In article <3547C7...@nbnz.co.nz>, Martin Hunt <marti...@nbnz.co.nz> writes:
:Running VMS 6.2. On 3 different systems, the help/message command

:results in the following message (and no help):
:
:Message number 05FD8013

..
:Any ideas? I am checking the setup of the help files, but haven't found

:anything obviously wrong so far.

This is a known (and previously discussed) bug in V6.2.

Copy SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB]MSGHLP$ENGLISH.EXE from a V6.1 system
over to SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB] on the (failing) V6.2 system.

-------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hof...@xdelta.ZZenet.dec.com
note to those folks not contributing spam -- there is no ZZ in my address

norm.r...@nelescontrols.com

Apr 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/30/98

hof...@xdelta.enet.dec.nospam on 04/30/98 03:35:00 PM

Please respond to hof...@xdelta.zko.dec.nospam

To: Info...@Mvb.Saic.Com
cc:
Subject: Re: Help/message command not working

<marti...@nbnz.co.nz> writes:
/:Running VMS 6.2. On 3 different systems, the help/message command
/:results in the following message (and no help):
/:
/:Message number 05FD8013
/..
/
/ This is a known (and previously discussed) bug in V6.2.
/
/ Copy SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB]MSGHLP$ENGLISH.EXE from a V6.1 system
/ over to SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB] on the (failing) V6.2 system.
Or
$ BACKUP/LOG ddcu:VMS061.B/SAVE/SELECT=MSG$HLP$ENGLISH.EXE -
SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB]*.*;/NEW/OWNER=SYSTEM

/ -------------------------- pure personal opinion
---------------------------
/ Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering
hof...@xdelta.ZZenet.dec.com
/ note to those folks not contributing spam -- there is no ZZ in my
address

Peter Weaver

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

Martin Hunt <marti...@nbnz.co.nz> wrote in article
<354904...@nbnz.co.nz>...
> avaj...@gtech.com wrote:
> >
> Thanks to all who replied. It now works fine. Next question: f$message
> is not returning the message code for most messages - I just get
> %NONAME-E-NOMSG, Message number <hex-string>, and yet the original error
> had the text. I have tried SET MESSAGE SYS$MESSAGE:<msg-file> for all
> the message files, and still can't get the number to translate. What am
> I missing? I particularly want to test for status of searches in a
> command file, without having to use the actual message number.

If the message is stored in one of the SYS$MESSAGE:.EXE then you have to
test
F$MESSAGE after each SET MESSAGE command. If you do a series of SET MESSAGE
commands then try F$MESSAGE you will only be using the last message file.

Beyond that, some (maybe many) programs store their messages within the
actual image instead of in a file in SYS$MESSAGE. The FACILITY part of the
original error message should help you figure out if there is a file in
SYS$MESSAGE.

If I understand the last line of you paragraph I would recommend that you
use
the actual message number like this;

$ SEARCH/NOHIGHLIGHT /WINDOW=0 ouputfile "strings to look for"
$ STATUS = $STATUS
$ IF STATUS .EQ. %X08D78053 ! SEARCH$_NOMATCH
$ THEN
$ WRITE SYS$OUTPUT "Wasn't there."
$ GOTO END
$ ENDIF
$

Hope this helps.

Vance R. Haemmerle

May 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/1/98

In article <3547C7...@nbnz.co.nz>,

Martin Hunt <marti...@nbnz.co.nz> wrote:
>Running VMS 6.2. On 3 different systems, the help/message command
>results in the following message (and no help):
>
>Message number 05FD8013
>Message number 05FD8023
>Message number 05FD801B
>Message number 05FD8033
>Message number 05FD801B
>Message number 05FD8043
>Message number 05FD801B
>Message number 05FD8053
>Message number 05FD8013
>
>Any ideas? I am checking the setup of the help files, but haven't found
>anything obviously wrong so far.

Replace SYS$SHARE:MSGHLP$ENGLISH.EXE with one from a Version 6.1 system
and you'll be fine.

--
Vance Haemmerle
va...@alumni.caltech.edu

Vance R. Haemmerle

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

In article <6iajp4$v...@usenet.pa.dec.com>,
Hoff Hoffman <hof...@xdelta.zko.dec.nospam> wrote:

>In article <3547C7...@nbnz.co.nz>, Martin Hunt <marti...@nbnz.co.nz> writes:
>:Running VMS 6.2. On 3 different systems, the help/message command

>:results in the following message (and no help):
>:
>:Message number 05FD8013
>..
>:Any ideas? I am checking the setup of the help files, but haven't found

>:anything obviously wrong so far.
>
> This is a known (and previously discussed) bug in V6.2.
>
> Copy SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB]MSGHLP$ENGLISH.EXE from a V6.1 system
> over to SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB] on the (failing) V6.2 system.

Any reason why an ECO wasn't issued for this? Not everyone has access
to a V6.1 system. Also, PHONE on Alpha VMS V6.2 doesn't work correctly.
The solution is the same, copy PHONE.EXE from a V6.1 system. No ECO was
issued for that either as far as I remember.

--
Vance Haemmerle
va...@alumni.caltech.edu

Ehud Gavron

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

In article <6igiqe$5...@gap.cco.caltech.edu>, va...@alumni.caltech.edu (Vance R. Haemmerle) writes...
..
# Any reason why an ECO wasn't issued for this?

Yes.

#Not everyone has access to a V6.1 system.

Thank you for pointing that out.

#Also, PHONE on Alpha VMS V6.2 doesn't work correctly.

This is not the SPR mechanism, this is comp.os.vms. If you have
a problem with a Digital product, report it to digital.

Of course when you do that, you'll have to show that you have
a VMS 6.2 license, and that you didn't just steal it from
your place of employment (who will be contacted Monday morning).

#Vance Haemmerle

Cheers

Ferry Bolhar-Nordenkampf

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98
to Martin Hunt

Martin Hunt wrote:

> > Known bug in VMS 6.2 ! Replace one file with the VMS 6.1 file
> > and everything will work.
> >
> > What file ? It is some years since I last did this.
> > I wil guess SYS$SHARE:MSGHLP$ENGLISH.EXE, but please check
> > before doing anything.
> >

> Thanks to all who replied. It now works fine.

Well, as long as you don't try to do a HELP/MESS for a V6.2 - specific
message, of course... ;-)

> Next question: f$message
> is not returning the message code for most messages - I just get
> %NONAME-E-NOMSG, Message number <hex-string>, and yet the original error
> had the text. I have tried SET MESSAGE SYS$MESSAGE:<msg-file> for all
> the message files, and still can't get the number to translate. What am
> I missing? I particularly want to test for status of searches in a
> command file, without having to use the actual message number.

Only the most important messages are included in the system message file
and therefore are available without a previous SET MESS. In addition,
some images have their messages linked in theirself, so there is no need
for an external message file.

To find out which message file a specific message code belongs to, the
following DCL procedure may be useful:

$ !
$ ! LOOK_MSG.COM
$ ! ============
$ !
$ ! (P) 1986 by Ing. Ferry Bolhár
$ ! Municipiality of Vienna
$ ! Municipial departement: ADV
$ !
$ ! Given a message code, this procedure scans all message files in
SYS$MESSAGE:.EXE to find
$ ! the message and the file wherein it resides.
$ !
$ ! Enter the message code as hexadecimal number, without leading %X.
$ !
$ put := writ sys$output
$ set mess/delete
$ if p1 .eqs. "" then inqu p1 "Message Code"
$ msgtxt = f$mess(%x'p1')
$ msglen = f$leng(msgtxt)
$ code = f$fao("!XL",%x'p1')
$ if f$loca("%NONAME-",msgtxt) .lt. msglen then goto MSGLOOP
$ if f$loca("-NOMSG,", msgtxt) .lt. msglen then goto MSGLOOP
$ put ""
$ put "Message found in system message file:"
$ put "''code' -> ''msgtxt'"
$ exit
$ MSGLOOP:
$ msgfs = f$sear("SYS$MESSAGE:*.EXE")
$ if msgfs .eqs. "" then goto MSGNTFND
$ fnam = f$pars(msgfs,,,"NAME") + f$pars(msgfs,,,"TYPE")
$ put "Looking in ''fnam'..."
$ set mess 'msgfs'
$ msgtxt = f$mess(%x'p1')
$ msglen = f$leng(msgtxt)
$ if f$loca("%NONAME-",msgtxt) .lt. msglen then goto MSGLOOP
$ if f$loca("-NOMSG,", msgtxt) .lt. msglen then goto MSGLOOP
$ put ""
$ put "Message found in ''fnam':"
$ put "''code' -> ''msgtxt'"
$ E_1:
$ set mess/delete
$ exit
$ MSGNTFND:
$ put ""
$ put "Message not found in any message file. Sorry."
$ goto E_1

Greetings, Ferry

--
Ing. Ferry Bolhár-Nordenkampf
Magistrat der Stadt Wien (MA-14) A - 1010 Vienna (Austria)

"Wenn hier einer schuld ist, dann immer nur der Computer."