[9fans] Plan 9 on sparc

Federico G. Benavento

Aug 15, 2005, 11:36:56 AM8/15/05
there is no iso for sparc,
you need to build the binaries from the source.

fgb

Chris Collins

Aug 15, 2005, 6:38:02 PM8/15/05
Federico G. Benavento was once rumoured to have said:
> there is no iso for sparc,
> you need to build the binaries from the source.

Actually, if its sparc32 you're after, its a bit more drastic than that.

Whilst the sparc32 userland should be mostly OK from its last 'useful'
incarnation in the 2nd ed days, the current sparc32 kernel does not
work. Its at a point where the kernel can survive the first few
phases of initialisation before dying - further work is currenlty
pending my putting my development rig back together and redesigning
the sparc32 memory map slightly. (at the moment the map needs some
rationalisation)

Also keep in mind that the new sparc32 kernel will only likely work on
sparcv8 (sun4m and newer).

Also, even if you did have a CD for it, it would do you no good -
there has never been any SCSI support for modern Sparc32 systems and
there is currently no bootblock. I'm not exactly planning on fixing
either of these problems in the short-term as my attention will be on
other things.

The bottom line is, if you want to use sparc32 in the future, you will
need another machine (nominally an x86 box as they are the best
currently supported) to act as fileserver and to bootstrap the sparc
systems.

C.