[9fans] Removing grub after installing Plan 9

Vester Thacker

Jun 14, 2004, 7:47:47 AM6/14/04
Is there an easy way to remove Grub after Plan 9 install?
I'd rather not use Grub. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Vester Thacker

Russ Cox

Jun 14, 2004, 10:50:10 AM6/14/04
> Is there an easy way to remove Grub after Plan 9 install?
> I'd rather not use Grub. Any help is greatly appreciated.

disk/mbr -m /386/mbr /dev/sdC0/data
will install the Plan 9 mbr.

boyd, rounin

Jun 14, 2004, 12:33:59 PM6/14/04
> Is there an easy way to remove Grub after Plan 9 install?

BFI iirc.

> I'd rather not use Grub. Any help is greatly appreciated.

at one point i had it on coma and it was next to impossible
to blow away, so desperate mesures were resorted to:
sony vaio disk image install cd's.

that killed it.

Matt Pidd-Cheshire

Jun 15, 2004, 3:11:44 AM6/15/04
Vester Thacker wrote:

i use Slackware 8 to install lilo for multiboot if that's
your need. it works very well.

fu

Jun 15, 2004, 11:13:35 PM6/15/04
Don`t discount Grub, it is very strong and plan9 friendly, It installs to the MBR, fdisk on linux has an option to clear it , a windows fdisk will erase it with fdisk /mbr , or you can dd 512 out of /dev/zero to the MBR.
For GRUB all you need is to define the root partition for 9

In the grub shell try:

root (hd0,0) /*or what ever your 9 part is */
rootnoverify
chainloader +1
boot

Kenji Okamoto

Jun 15, 2004, 11:19:43 PM6/15/04
> Don`t discount Grub,

I think developper just don't have time to do it.
If someone wants to use grub, s/he can do it, I suppose.

Kenji

Russ Cox

Jun 15, 2004, 11:28:59 PM6/15/04
Grub's great. I use it every day.
But if all you run on your machine is
Plan 9, you have no need for it.

Russ

Kenji Okamoto

Jun 16, 2004, 12:33:47 AM6/16/04
> But if all you run on your machine is
> Plan 9, you have no need for it.

Probably, most of 'Plan 9 user' do install it, and touch it
for a while like now, durin summer vacation, and forget it
soon... ☺

By the way, Russ are you using Linux not BSDs?

Kenji