[9fans] Mounting Plan9 fs on Inferno

blst...@bellsouth.net

Sep 27, 2009, 8:31:53 PM9/27/09
So am I out of my mind or shouldn't I be able to mount a Plan 9
file system on Inferno. I thought that was one of the effects of
making 9p2000 and styx the same. But even setting aside the
authentication issue, if I do an aux/listen1 on the Plan 9 side,
and then try to do a mount -A on the Inferno side, I'm getting
a "bad fversion conversion on reply" error message. Is this something
that should work and I should fix it, or is this a fool's errand?

BLS

Josh Wood

Sep 27, 2009, 8:53:28 PM9/27/09

The following sequence works for me. I get your "bad fversion ..."
error without `-r <root>' to skip the root negotiation:

On plan 9:

% aux/listen1 tcp!*!styx /bin/exportfs -r /usr/glenda

On inferno:

% mount -A tcp!192.168.1.3!6666 /n/plan9

-Josh

blst...@bellsouth.net

Sep 27, 2009, 9:16:04 PM9/27/09
> The following sequence works for me. I get your "bad fversion ..."
> error without `-r <root>' to skip the root negotiation:
>
> On plan 9:
>
> % aux/listen1 tcp!*!styx /bin/exportfs -r /usr/glenda
>
> On inferno:
>
> % mount -A tcp!192.168.1.3!6666 /n/plan9

Excellent; that's the trick. On to the next steps...

Thanks,
BLS

Charles Forsyth

Sep 28, 2009, 5:24:47 AM9/28/09
it does work, and you can authenticate to plan 9 using
Inferno's factotum (or, if you're running Inferno on Plan 9,
using Plan 9's factotum within Inferno).

the "bad fversion conversion ..." suggests that whatever you're
running with aux/listen1 is spitting out something else before
starting the protocol. plan 9's exportfs, for instance, has an extra textual `protocol'.
if the Plan 9 service is exportfs, you might be
able to use Inferno's import(4) to approximate that for you.