[9fans] env size limit

roger peppe

Oct 27, 2009, 12:52:44 PM10/27/09
the environment variable size limit is set to 16300 bytes which
seems rather small; for instance it can break mkfiles for large projects.

might a patch specifying a larger size limit (e.g. 128K) be accepted?

erik quanstrom

Oct 27, 2009, 3:56:10 PM10/27/09

you need a single variable that's bigger than 16300 bytes?

- erik

roger peppe

Oct 27, 2009, 5:24:25 PM10/27/09
yes.

for instance when there are a few thousand source files
and one wants to link them all.

Robert Raschke

Oct 28, 2009, 5:42:13 AM10/28/09
On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 9:21 PM, roger peppe <rogp...@gmail.com> wrote:
2009/10/27 erik quanstrom <quan...@coraid.com>:
> On Tue Oct 27 12:52:52 EDT 2009, rogp...@gmail.com wrote:
>> the environment variable size limit is set to 16300 bytes which
>> seems rather small; for instance it can break mkfiles for large projects.
>>
>> might a patch specifying a larger size limit (e.g. 128K) be accepted?
>
> you need a single variable that's bigger than 16300 bytes?
>
> - erik

yes.

for instance when there are a few thousand source files
and one wants to link them all.

Use libraries!

Robby

Andreas Zell

Oct 29, 2009, 5:42:25 AM10/29/09
On 28 Okt., 10:42, rtrli...@googlemail.com (Robert Raschke) wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 9:21 PM, roger peppe <rogpe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > projects.

> > > you need a single variable that's bigger than 16300 bytes?
>
> > > - erik
>
> yes.
>

> > for instance when there are a few thousand source files
> > and one wants to link them all.
>
> Use libraries!
>
> Robby

Hmm,

ar cr libfile.a $(A_FEW_THOUSEND_OBJECT_FILES)

AZ

Robert Raschke

Oct 29, 2009, 6:15:20 AM10/29/09

ROFL.

Robby

PS Hmm, you are joking, right? I'm never entirely sure in these international discussions without signifiers like :-)

Andreas Zell

Oct 29, 2009, 7:35:31 AM10/29/09
On 29 Okt., 11:15, rtrli...@googlemail.com (Robert Raschke) wrote:

That's right.