[9fans] arm ports update

ge...@plan9.bell-labs.com

May 12, 2010, 11:46:36 PM5/12/10
The kw port now supports the Guruplug Server Plus, including both
Ethernet interfaces, and probably the other Guruplugs. booting(8) now
has the necessary instructions to get started. They are more diverse
than one might like because every version of u-boot we get for a new
board seems to have had the dhcp, bootp and tftp commands tinkered
with to behave slightly differently. We have two Guruplugs and one
has been stable but the other is prone to random resets (and runs much
warmer than the Sheevaplugs). I'd be interested in hearing from
anyone else who sees random resets.

I've imported the flash memory support from native Inferno, other than
the flash translation layer, which was developed for nor flash and is
suspect with nand flash. flash(3) describes the interface. It seems
to work on the Kirkwood boards, but I haven't exercised it
extensively. It does implement software ECC. /dev/flash looks like
it always returns zero bytes on the igepv2 board, but lack of
documentation makes it a little hard to tell what to expect.

Jacob Todd

May 13, 2010, 12:28:35 AM5/13/10
Thanks for the update. I can buy a sheevaplug now.

Charles Forsyth

May 13, 2010, 6:39:55 AM5/13/10
>the flash translation layer, which was developed for nor flash and is
>suspect with nand flash

it's not "suspect" as such: just not implemented because it's the wrong approach.
FTL's design assumes you can rewrite a word, flipping bits off (but never on),
to change a physical/logical map efficiently. fine with NOR, it allows that easily.
drivers for NAND would need to do something more costly to emulate that effect,
because the granularity is much larger, and the organisation and rules generally are different.
i don't think they bother (because it's not a good idea) so it probably wouldn't work.

Boo

May 13, 2010, 12:06:12 PM5/13/10

Great news! Many thanks!

Skip Tavakkolian

May 13, 2010, 12:50:41 PM5/13/10
thank you!

the two guruplugs i had ordered arrived today. i was disappoint to
find that i'll need to order the JTAG board before i can do anything.
i didn't see this requirement when i ordered them over a month ago.
did anyone else miss this?

David Leimbach

May 13, 2010, 1:01:11 PM5/13/10
Ok, now I have to google for guruplugs...

Gorka Guardiola

May 13, 2010, 3:32:19 PM5/13/10
In the sheeva you can access the Jtag through the usb port...

-
Curiosity sKilled the cat

G.

David Leimbach

May 13, 2010, 4:00:17 PM5/13/10
Awesome!  Looks like the big one can do 2x GigE and some home automation stuff.  Sounds like good fun for Plan 9.

Skip Tavakkolian

May 13, 2010, 4:58:51 PM5/13/10
> In the sheeva you can access the Jtag through the usb port...

but the (newer) guruplug does not. it requires the "guruplug jtag
board", for accessing the console and they don't make it obvious when
you order the guruplug.

David Leimbach

May 13, 2010, 5:08:03 PM5/13/10
They actually list the miniusb on the side is the JTAG port on their website.  Are you saying that doesn't work?

Weird.

Dave

Skip Tavakkolian

May 13, 2010, 6:31:46 PM5/13/10
they've got everyone confused. here's an informative thread:

http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1551.msg9645#msg9645

on the guruplug there's no miniusb for the console; it's jtag and
you'll need the appropriately named "guruplug jtag board".

David Leimbach

May 13, 2010, 11:43:50 PM5/13/10
Wow confusing and a little disappointing, but not unheard of :-)