Re: [9fans] v9fs and Russ tra

"Nils O. Selåsdal"

Apr 1, 2006, 12:27:33 PM4/1/06
Fernan Bolando wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have 3 new set of questions. :)
>
> Is it possible to mount a plan9 namespace or directory of a cpu server
> on to a linux terminal using v9fs or should I just use nfsserver?
> I have been trying to make v9fs by doing
> mount -t 9P -o proto=tcp 192.168.0.1 /mnt/9
> and it always says connection refused.
> I also tried exportfs and the mount command still refused. However when
> I tried to do 9fs 192.168.0.1 on the cpu server it worked fine.

Make sure fossil is indeed listening on for network connections.
fossilcons(8) should have the details.

Eric Van Hensbergen

Apr 1, 2006, 1:44:44 PM4/1/06
You are also likely running into auth problems -- easiest thing is to
export without auth, but that may not be desirable. If you are using
auth, you'll need plan9ports and lucho's mount utility (9p.mount)

-ericvh

Russ Cox

Apr 1, 2006, 4:13:55 PM4/1/06
> running listen tcp!*!564 and il!*!17008 did the trick with the
> fossil not listening. Now I am getting "permission denied" so I guess
> this is is what you meant by auth problems.

If you have p9p installed, that's enough to mount with v9fs.
You can use srv -a to get a preauthenticated Unix socket
and then just mount it like any other Unix socket.
For example, if I use:

srv -a sources.cs.bell-labs.com sources
sudo mount -t 9P -o user=$USER,uid=`id -u`,gid=`id -g`,proto=unix \
`namespace`/sources /n/sources

then I can read and write files on sources.

> [question about tra and plan 9]

Tra doesn't run on Plan 9 just now. It is based on p9p,
so it shouldn't be hard to get up and running.
I reworked most of it recently so it is unproven.
I'd only use it with regular backups for now.

Russ

Russ Cox

Apr 1, 2006, 9:46:10 PM4/1/06
> For the drawterm connection I need to use secstore in p9p
> so that I only need to give my secstore pasword once?

You can start the p9p factotum before starting drawterm
and then drawterm will use any keys there to authenticate.

Russ

erik quanstrom

Apr 1, 2006, 10:22:20 PM4/1/06
unfortunately i deleted russ' reply. you can mix p9p with the kernel
device driver by first using p9p to create a named pipe then

mount -t 9P -o 'proto=unix', `{namespace}^/srvname /mnt/9

i use this for sources

/tmp/ns.quanstro.:0/sources /home/quanstro/9/sources 9P uid=1000,user,name=quanstro,proto=unix,noauto 0 0

in /etc/fstab. as in

; 9fs sources
; mount $home/9/sources

- erik

Russ Cox

Apr 1, 2006, 10:40:10 PM4/1/06
> unfortunately i deleted russ' reply.

http://9fans.net/archive/ is updated hourly.

Jeff Sickel

Apr 2, 2006, 11:59:08 PM4/2/06

On Apr 1, 2006, at 3:14 PM, Russ Cox wrote:

>> running listen tcp!*!564 and il!*!17008 did the trick with the
>> fossil not listening. Now I am getting "permission denied" so I guess
>> this is is what you meant by auth problems.
>
> If you have p9p installed, that's enough to mount with v9fs.
> You can use srv -a to get a preauthenticated Unix socket
> and then just mount it like any other Unix socket.
> For example, if I use:
>
> srv -a sources.cs.bell-labs.com sources
> sudo mount -t 9P -o user=$USER,uid=`id -u`,gid=`id -g`,proto=unix \
> `namespace`/sources /n/sources
>
> then I can read and write files on sources.

That should go into the man page.

Now it's time to write a mount_9P for OSX.

jas

Ronald G Minnich

Apr 3, 2006, 2:53:52 PM4/3/06
Jeff Sickel wrote:

> Now it's time to write a mount_9P for OSX.

you're gonna need the vfs first ...

ron

Bakul Shah

Apr 3, 2006, 3:10:39 PM4/3/06
> Jeff Sickel wrote:
>
> > Now it's time to write a mount_9P for OSX.
>
> you're gonna need the vfs first ...

The v9fs.sourceforge page title says

9P2000 file system support for Unix/Linux/*BSD

How uptodate is the *BSD support? In particular how well is
FreeBSD supported?

Thanks.

-- bakul

Ronald G Minnich

Apr 3, 2006, 3:42:17 PM4/3/06
Bakul Shah wrote:

> How uptodate is the *BSD support? In particular how well is
> FreeBSD supported?

the freebsd support only ever reached the LD_PRELOAD stage. I started a
vfs (see my web page) but never got it done. Not even the BSD guys liked
the private namespace ideas back then, so there was not a lot of incentive.

You'll be starting from a clean sheet ...

ron

Tim Wiess

Apr 4, 2006, 1:33:02 PM4/4/06

i have an OpenBSD port in progress. it is currently stalled due to lack
of time. but once finished, the code could certainly be reused to
build ports for (Net|Free)BSD.

Tim Wiess

Apr 4, 2006, 1:45:38 PM4/4/06
> i have an OpenBSD port in progress. it is currently stalled due to lack
> of time. but once finished, the code could certainly be reused to
> build ports for (Net|Free)BSD.

sorry, need to read what i type.
i didn't mean to imply that it was a v9fs port. the code was written from
scratch.

Ronald G Minnich

Apr 4, 2006, 10:25:45 PM4/4/06

you could make it available on a web page (somewhere) for people to see :-)

ron

Tim Wiess

Apr 5, 2006, 12:21:07 PM4/5/06
> you could make it available on a web page (somewhere) for people to see :-)

i certainly will once it's in a state for people to see. :)
i need some more time to wrap up a few things before then.