"Drive 2 not ready" error - Warp4 - Dell XPS P200s - Boot Manager

3 Aufrufe
Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

jda...@ibm.net

ungelesen,
01.12.1996, 03:00:0001.12.96
an

Hi,

I've recently tried to install Warp 4 on an IBM EIDE 3.2GB hard drive installed on my
Dell Demension XPS P200s system.

I attempted to install Boot Manager, and when the install completed, and Boot
Manager attempted to load for the first time, I receive an error just after the
system post "Drive 2 not ready - Press any key". If I press a key, Boot Manager
comes up as expected.

This is not a situation I can really tolerate since I run a BBS and cannot be
expected to be there to "press any key".

I have read that there may be some problems with the IBM hard disk driver when
the head count of the HD exceeds 127... My Award CMOS bios indicates the
HD has 128 heads (logically anyway).

Does anyone know some way I can get around this problem? I really need the
Boot Manager ability. Hopefully the first fixpack for Warp 4 will correct this.

Thanks in advance,
Jim Davie

mk...@westnet.com

ungelesen,
01.12.1996, 03:00:0001.12.96
an

>I've recently tried to install Warp 4 on an IBM EIDE 3.2GB hard drive installed on my
>Dell Demension XPS P200s system.
>
>I attempted to install Boot Manager, and when the install completed, and Boot
>Manager attempted to load for the first time, I receive an error just after the
>system post "Drive 2 not ready - Press any key". If I press a key, Boot Manager
>comes up as expected.

I have a similar problem with my Dell XPS Pro 200. My machine has only one
hard drive (a 2.1 Gig WD IDE).

I posted a note on a Dell forum, and I got several responses of similar problems,
from people who had various hardware setups. I think the problem has to do with
Boot Manager misreading the BIOS autodetect information.

Sam Detweiler (sp?) of the IBM OS/2 device driver group is aware of the
problem, but he has not contacted me with a solution.

At any rate, this is just a minor annoyance for me.

Marv Kohn home: mk...@westnet.com
Dept. of Mathematics work: mj...@cunyvm.cuny.edu
Brooklyn College, CUNY

sam_de...@ibm.net

ungelesen,
02.12.1996, 03:00:0002.12.96
an

This sounds like Boot Manager getting confused by the Bootable
CD support on this machine..

BM asks bios for the drives 80-97, looking for
disk devices, then ready devices..

Apparently the bios answers that the CD is disk and
ready, and then we try to read it and get the not ready error...

>Hi,

>I've recently tried to install Warp 4 on an IBM EIDE 3.2GB hard drive installed on my
>Dell Demension XPS P200s system.
>
>I attempted to install Boot Manager, and when the install completed, and Boot
>Manager attempted to load for the first time, I receive an error just after the
>system post "Drive 2 not ready - Press any key". If I press a key, Boot Manager
>comes up as expected.
>

>This is not a situation I can really tolerate since I run a BBS and cannot be
>expected to be there to "press any key".
>
>I have read that there may be some problems with the IBM hard disk driver when
>the head count of the HD exceeds 127... My Award CMOS bios indicates the
>HD has 128 heads (logically anyway).
>
>Does anyone know some way I can get around this problem? I really need the
>Boot Manager ability. Hopefully the first fixpack for Warp 4 will correct this.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Jim Davie

Sam Detweiler
IBM OS/2 Device Driver development

Mike Rydberg

ungelesen,
08.12.1996, 03:00:0008.12.96
an

In <57s6rf$k...@mycroft.westnet.com>, mk...@westnet.com writes:
>In <57qkee$1aj8$2...@news-s01.ny.us.ibm.net>, jda...@ibm.net writes:
>
>>I've recently tried to install Warp 4 on an IBM EIDE 3.2GB hard drive installed on my
>>Dell Demension XPS P200s system.
>>
>>I attempted to install Boot Manager, and when the install completed, and Boot
>>Manager attempted to load for the first time, I receive an error just after the
>>system post "Drive 2 not ready - Press any key". If I press a key, Boot Manager
>>comes up as expected.
>
> I have a similar problem with my Dell XPS Pro 200. My machine has only one
>hard drive (a 2.1 Gig WD IDE).
>
> I posted a note on a Dell forum, and I got several responses of similar problems,
>from people who had various hardware setups. I think the problem has to do with
>Boot Manager misreading the BIOS autodetect information.
>
> Sam Detweiler (sp?) of the IBM OS/2 device driver group is aware of the
>problem, but he has not contacted me with a solution.
>
> At any rate, this is just a minor annoyance for me.

I had the same problem, I was getting "Drive 1 not ready" for the IDE Toshiba
CD-ROM on my GW2000 P166 machine.

All I had to do to fix this problem was go into the AMI BIOS setup
and set the 2nd IDE controller to "NOT INSTALLED" on the main menu.
The prevents the PNP BIOS from reporting the the CD-ROM drive at boot
time.

This has no effect on OS/2's ability to find the Toshiba CD-ROM drive
once OS/2 is up and running, and the CD-ROM works just fine.

Regards,

Mike Rydberg

sam_de...@ibm.net

ungelesen,
10.12.1996, 03:00:0010.12.96
an

In <58f9fb$2a7s$1...@news-s01.ny.us.ibm.net>, mi...@ibm.net (Mike Rydberg) writes:

This is what I suspected. The BM asks bios for all the fixed disks,
that are Ready.. Obviously it is responding for the CD as well,
and then we try to read it (it DID say it was Ready (not empty))
and get a not ready error..

Larry Rosen

ungelesen,
11.12.1996, 03:00:0011.12.96
an

In article <58f9fb$2a7s$1...@news-s01.ny.us.ibm.net>,
mi...@ibm.net (Mike Rydberg) wrote:

>I had the same problem, I was getting "Drive 1 not ready" for the IDE
Toshiba
>CD-ROM on my GW2000 P166 machine.
>
>All I had to do to fix this problem was go into the AMI BIOS setup
>and set the 2nd IDE controller to "NOT INSTALLED" on the main menu.
>The prevents the PNP BIOS from reporting the the CD-ROM drive at boot
>time.
>
>This has no effect on OS/2's ability to find the Toshiba CD-ROM drive
>once OS/2 is up and running, and the CD-ROM works just fine.
>
>Regards,
>
>Mike Rydberg

Thanks for posting this tip! This has been bugging me since my Dimension
XPSPro200n arrived four weeks ago. It works beautifully.

Can anyone suggest the best way for me to partition my 3.2gig drive? I want
one HPFS partiton for WARP4 one FAT (vfat or whatever) for win95, and a FAT
data partition (since it can be accessed from both OS's).

/^>
/ \
/ \
/\/\/\