Looking for Finger daemon

web...@macc.wisc.edu

Feb 15, 1994, 5:49:11 PM2/15/94
I use TCP/IP 2.0 for OS/2. There dosen't seem to be a finger daemon with
the TCP/IP package. Does anyone know of a daemon for TCP/IP for OS/2?

Dave

David Devereaux-Weber, P.E. web...@macc.wisc.edu (Internet)
The University of Wisconsin - Madison (608)262-3584 (voice)
DoIT - MACC Communications; B263 (608)262-4679 (FAX)
1210 W Dayton St.
Madison, WI 53706

Ken Hildabolt

Feb 15, 1994, 9:16:38 PM2/15/94
In <2jrjh7$e...@news.doit.wisc.edu>, web...@macc.wisc.edu writes:
>I use TCP/IP 2.0 for OS/2. There dosen't seem to be a finger daemon with
>the TCP/IP package. Does anyone know of a daemon for TCP/IP for OS/2?
>
>Dave

In \tcpip\bin I have a finger.exe installed by TCPIP 2.0. Just migrate it,
works fine.

Ken Hildabolt hild...@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
The Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory

R L Samuell

Feb 16, 1994, 2:58:04 AM2/16/94

In article <2jrjh7$e...@news.doit.wisc.edu> web...@macc.wisc.edu writes:
>I use TCP/IP 2.0 for OS/2. There dosen't seem to be a finger daemon with
>the TCP/IP package. Does anyone know of a daemon for TCP/IP for OS/2?
>
>Dave

You can obtain a FINGER Server via Anonymous FTP to FTP-OS2.CDROM.COM.
It is in the pub/os2/2_x/network directory. The file is FINGERD.ZIP.
This program will allow Internet users to "finger" your OS/2 host.
It supports logging, dynamic USERIDs, bulletins, audible notification,
remote control, etc.

If you want a FINGER Client, one is provided as a part of IBM's TCP/IP
software base kit package. This program will allow you to "finger"
other Internet hosts.

Regards,

R L Samuell

--
E-MAIL: sam...@cis.uab.edu
FINGER: @twinbrook.cis.uab.edu -- an OS/2 FINGER Server

web...@macc.wisc.edu

Feb 16, 1994, 12:09:37 PM2/16/94
In <CLAoz...@netnews.jhuapl.edu>, hild...@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu (Ken Hildabolt) writes:
>In <2jrjh7$e...@news.doit.wisc.edu>, web...@macc.wisc.edu writes:
>>I use TCP/IP 2.0 for OS/2. There dosen't seem to be a finger daemon with
>>the TCP/IP package. Does anyone know of a daemon for TCP/IP for OS/2?
>>
>>Dave
>>

>In \tcpip\bin I have a finger.exe installed by TCPIP 2.0. Just migrate it,
>works fine.

Ken,

I meant the finger daemon. Finger.exe allows me to finger other computers,
but they can't finger me unless I run a finger daemon. In message
<1994Feb16.0...@cis.uab.edu>, R L Samuell writes

>You can obtain a FINGER Server via Anonymous FTP to FTP-OS2.CDROM.COM.
>It is in the pub/os2/2_x/network directory. The file is FINGERD.ZIP.
>This program will allow Internet users to "finger" your OS/2 host.
>It supports logging, dynamic USERIDs, bulletins, audible notification,
>remote control, etc.

Dave

Arman Khalili

Feb 16, 1994, 1:09:05 PM2/16/94
I need help getting TCP/IP for OS/2. I think it is a
ripoff that IBM wants to charge $150.00 and another
$100 for NFS. If anyone knows any Beta program that
will do the work please let me know.

PS: NeXTSTEP offers networking + compliler + OS
all for $250.00 for students. Compare this to OS/2.

Aaron Brown

Feb 18, 1994, 9:24:55 AM2/18/94
>I use TCP/IP 2.0 for OS/2. There dosen't seem to be a finger daemon with
>the TCP/IP package. Does anyone know of a daemon for TCP/IP for OS/2?
>
>Dave

There's a REXX (.cmd) fingerD available from ftp-os2, probably in
/pub/os2/2_x/network. It works pretty well, but I wish I could start it from
inetd.

--Aaron

+-------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| * Aaron B. Brown * | "The way out is through the door. |
| * Harvard University '97 * | How can it be that so few |
| * abr...@husc.harvard.edu * | people use it?" |
|-------------------------------+---------------------------------------|
| ****** Finger abr...@husc7.harvard.edu for PGP public key ****** |
+-------------------------------+---------------------------------------+

pmu...@vnet.ibm.com

Feb 18, 1994, 5:50:23 PM2/18/94
In <1994Feb18.0...@husc14.harvard.edu>, abr...@husc.harvard.edu (Aaron Brown) writes:
>In <2jrjh7$e...@news.doit.wisc.edu>, web...@macc.wisc.edu writes:
>>I use TCP/IP 2.0 for OS/2. There dosen't seem to be a finger daemon with
>>the TCP/IP package. Does anyone know of a daemon for TCP/IP for OS/2?
>
>There's a REXX (.cmd) fingerD available from ftp-os2, probably in
>/pub/os2/2_x/network. It works pretty well, but I wish I could start it from
>inetd.

Just a guess, but perhaps inetd expects .exe-type programs, and not rexx
macros. I would try putting in a CMD /C fingerd.cmd as the inetd.lst
entry and see what happens (if you haven't already). For some reason,
it seems like I remember inetd only accepts a 1-token program name, which
would mean you couldn't do this.

Patrick Mueller | IBM Software Solutions, Cary NC; 919-469-7242, tie 883
| internet: pmu...@vnet.ibm.com vnet: pmuellr@carvm3

Aaron Brown

Feb 21, 1994, 2:24:21 PM2/21/94
In <CLFzF...@sernews.raleigh.ibm.com>, pmu...@vnet.ibm.com writes:
>In <1994Feb18.0...@husc14.harvard.edu>, abr...@husc.harvard.edu (Aaron Brown) writes:
>>In <2jrjh7$e...@news.doit.wisc.edu>, web...@macc.wisc.edu writes:
>>>I use TCP/IP 2.0 for OS/2. There dosen't seem to be a finger daemon with
>>>the TCP/IP package. Does anyone know of a daemon for TCP/IP for OS/2?
>>
>>There's a REXX (.cmd) fingerD available from ftp-os2, probably in
>>/pub/os2/2_x/network. It works pretty well, but I wish I could start it from
>>inetd.
>
>Just a guess, but perhaps inetd expects .exe-type programs, and not rexx
>macros. I would try putting in a CMD /C fingerd.cmd as the inetd.lst

No, actually Inetd does support rexx macros. However, the macro must bind to
the pre-opened (by inetd) socket specified as the first command-line parameter
(same goes for anything run from inetd); fingerd doesn't support this, and I
don't know enough about Rexx and RexxSock to fix it up. I don't get fingered
very frequently, and thus don't want to waste an entire session to run fingerd.

Ed Costello

Feb 21, 1994, 5:07:10 PM2/21/94
Simple outline of a fingerd client for inetd:
/**/
/* init info,data */ info = ""; data = "";
/* add rxsock */ rc = RxFuncAdd("SockLoadFuncs","RxSock","SockLoadFuncs")
/* load rxsock */ rc = SockLoadFuncs()
/* socket from inetd */ Parse arg ns
/* Connect */ rc = SockGetPeerName(ns,"peer.!")
/* Get real name */ rc = SockGetHostByAddr(peer.!addr,"peer.!")
/* Get any user data */ rc = SockRecv(ns,"data",1000)
/* do stuff: ----------------------------------------------------------
Note: the variable data contains what, if anything, was sent by the client.
1000 is the buffer length (pick whatever you want)

Do whatever processing you want to do with "data".

Put return information in the variable "info". Each line must be ended
by crlf.
/* Get the length */ textlength = length(info)
/* Send it */ rc = SockSend(ns,info,textlength)
/* close connection */ rc = SockSoClose(ns)
/* leave! */ exit

//SIG JOB -ed costello
//MAIL TYPE=(INTERNET) cost...@vnet.ibm.com