pmmail 1.53 jumping to top of list

Mike Busby

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

I have a question concerning an annoying quirk of pmmail 1.53.
When I move or delete a mail message, the highlighted message
that I am currently on is scrolled down in the list and the
scroll bar jumps to the top of the list.

I have used MS exchange, which looks very similar to pmmail, and
this does not happen, i.e. when a message is moved or deleted, you
do not lose your place in the list you are reading, it stays put.

Is there a configuration option that will change this behaviour
in pmmail?

Thanks,

--
Michael C. Busby | Systems Development
System Engineer, Sr. | Design Environment/Automation

sys...@bda.nasa.gov

Nov 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/15/96

This problem is a 'feature' of the IBM list box code :-(

I believe that the PMMail authors are intending to replace the IBM
code with their own 'home-grown' version which should eliminate this
feature.

"The vast majority of users are Internet-illiterate or inarticulate".
Professor Jack Hodges, San Francisco State University

Max

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

In message <mcb.848078927@mach> - m...@eng.hou.compaq.com (Mike Busby)Fri, 15

Nov 1996 17:28:47 GMT writes:
:>
:>I have a question concerning an annoying quirk of pmmail 1.53.
:>When I move or delete a mail message, the highlighted message
:>that I am currently on is scrolled down in the list and the
:>scroll bar jumps to the top of the list.

:>Is there a configuration option that will change this behaviour
:>in pmmail?

It's not PMMail, its the PM itself. IBM broke somthing with it arround FP 17.
Try this Phenomen with Other PM Windows in 'Detail View' (Guess that's the
english Name) like Dirs and so on.
It's just that it's most annoying in PMMAIL.

DenverD

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

In message <mcb.848078927@mach> - m...@eng.hou.compaq.com (Mike
Busby)Fri, 15 Nov 1996 17:28:47 GMT writes:

>I have a question concerning an annoying quirk of pmmail 1.53.
>When I move or delete a mail message, the highlighted message
>that I am currently on is scrolled down in the list and the
>scroll bar jumps to the top of the list.
>
>I have used MS exchange, which looks very similar to pmmail, and
>this does not happen, i.e. when a message is moved or deleted, you
>do not lose your place in the list you are reading, it stays put.
>
>Is there a configuration option that will change this behaviour
>in pmmail?

Mike,

There is no configuration option to solve the problem....which, I'm
kinda sure the authors are aware of....since it is one of the more
distressing 'features' in PM Mail...(which I use daily and consider
the best on the market).

Regards,

DenverD Robinson > Texan living in Denmark | A WarpSpeeder |
Hm: Den...@IBM.Net Ofc: Word...@IBM.Net | & |
Didn't proofread...I am NOT at work, yet!! | Team OS/2er |

Norm

Dec 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/11/96

In message <58hq9o$3pbe$2...@news-feed.inet.tele.dk> - Ord...@Post1.Tele.DK
(DenverD )9 Dec 1996 19:46:00 GMT writes:
:>
:>In message <mcb.848078927@mach> - m...@eng.hou.compaq.com (Mike

:>Busby)Fri, 15 Nov 1996 17:28:47 GMT writes:
:>>
[...]

This behavior is NOT caused by PMMail, you'll see the same thing in ANY
post FP17 PM application when using the container's 'detailed view'...in
other words the bug was introduced by IBM and NOT PMMail (the exact same
thing happens in FileStar/2 when I delete or move a file). If you have
access to a pre-FP17 version of Warp v3.0 you can see that this behavior
wasn't there before FP17.

The authors at Southside have mentioned that they may write their own
container code in order to get around some of IBM's bugs, but I don't know
if they've made a decision on it yet. If so I'd expect to see it in a
future release.

...Cheers,

...Norm

--
Note: Send any email replies to 'norm...@clark.net'.

I'm sick and tired of all the commercial email we all seem to be
getting so the address in the article header is incorrect...this
along with a good 'procmail' script on my ISP's mailserver to filter
the worse 'spam' domains has cut down on it quite a bit.

tom c.