Virtualbox binaries

Trevor Hemsley

Oct 26, 2007, 8:44:56 PM10/26/07
Has anyone tried to compile a recent build of Virtualbox on OS/2?
Does it work?
If so, care to share your binaries with the rest of us?

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

Steven Levine

Oct 27, 2007, 4:19:20 AM10/27/07
In <ooEqbBTpDLlNNI...@trevor2.dsl.pipex.com>, on 10/26/2007
at 07:44 PM, "Trevor Hemsley" <Trevor....@mytrousers.ntlworld.com>
said:

Hmm,

>Has anyone tried to compile a recent build of Virtualbox on OS/2? Does it
>work?
>If so, care to share your binaries with the rest of us?

ISTR, Paul Smedley did a test build, but I can't find a link to it at the
moment.

Steven

Steven Levine <ste...@earthlink.bogus.net> MR2/ICE 3.00 beta 09pre #10183

Stan Goodman

Oct 27, 2007, 4:40:36 AM10/27/07
On Saturday 27 October 2007 02:44, Trevor Hemsley
<Trevor....@mytrousers.ntlworld.com>wrote:

> Has anyone tried to compile a recent build of Virtualbox on OS/2?
> Does it work?
> If so, care to share your binaries with the rest of us?

It dawned on me that you are looking for VirtualBox as an OS/2 host,
whereas the VirtualBox page speaks of OS/2 as a guest. Please pardon my
goof.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Wayne

Oct 27, 2007, 4:48:10 AM10/27/07
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:40:36 +0200, Stan Goodman wrote:

>> Has anyone tried to compile a recent build of Virtualbox on OS/2? Does
>> it work?
>> If so, care to share your binaries with the rest of us?
>>

> It dawned on me that you are looking for VirtualBox as an OS/2 host,
> whereas the VirtualBox page speaks of OS/2 as a guest. Please pardon my
> goof.

Stan,

If you haven't already, look at the bottom shot on this page:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Screenshots

Wayne

--
Registered Linux user #375994
http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/

Trevor Hemsley

Oct 27, 2007, 6:58:14 AM10/27/07

If you made another post with a goof in it then it hasn't turned up here yet. I
was indeed thinking about running Virtualbox as a host on OS/2 to boot other
o/s's as my most powerful hardware runs OS/2.

I have tried to run OS/2 as a VM under Virtualbox on Suse Linux but it stalled
when loading various drivers and I eventually gave up. I suspect it was because
that the machine I was running it on was a Pentium M and that lacks the hardware
virtualisation that I saw was required to boot OS/2 under VB.

Mark Dodel

Oct 27, 2007, 8:45:28 AM10/27/07
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:58:14 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
<Trevor....@mytrousers.ntlworld.com> wrote:

-> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 08:40:36 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, Stan Goodman
-> <SPAM_...@some.domain> wrote:
->
-> > On Saturday 27 October 2007 02:44, Trevor Hemsley
-> > <Trevor....@mytrousers.ntlworld.com>wrote:
-> >
[...]

I'm pretty sure it was Paul Smedley who released a test version of the
binaries in June. I don't recall where I got it from on his site, but
I have never seen any mention of an update. There was no readme or
docs and I could never figure out how to get it to work, but then the
best machine I have (other than my kids MBPs) is a Pentium M as well
so maybe that is why I could never get it to work. Guess I'm stuck
with VPC/2. I did hear recently that someone at Innotek was working
on an OS/2 host just for self enjoyment, but you might want to contact
Paul and ask him if he has done any more on it. His website is
http://smedley.info/os2ports/index.php No mention of VB there, but
there is a contact page.

Mark

--
From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

http://www.warpstock.eu

Stan Goodman

Oct 27, 2007, 3:32:13 PM10/27/07
On Saturday 27 October 2007 10:48, Wayne <rond...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:40:36 +0200, Stan Goodman wrote:
>
>>> Has anyone tried to compile a recent build of Virtualbox on OS/2?
>>> Does it work?
>>> If so, care to share your binaries with the rest of us?
>>>

>> It dawned on me that you are looking for VirtualBox as an OS/2 host,
>> whereas the VirtualBox page speaks of OS/2 as a guest. Please pardon
>> my goof.
>
> Stan,
>
> If you haven't already, look at the bottom shot on this page:
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Screenshots

I see that. But I think it must be an obsolete one that they haven't
updated, because the mention of OS/2 on their table of supported guests
seems to claim that OS/2 support is complete. Anyway, I'm not going to
jump into it until I have a clear idea of what it will or will not do.

And I won't get to the point of installing it until December at the
earliest.

Paul Smedley

Oct 27, 2007, 4:42:02 PM10/27/07
Hi Guys,

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 12:45:28 UTC, "Mark Dodel" <madode...@ptd.net>
wrote:

I did a build of Virtualbox 1.4 that never made it out publically as
networking didn't work - it basically just got released to a few
people on the netlabs IRC channel.

Others have since built 1.5 - but networking is still an issue.

I had a brief look at the latest svn virtualbox code last night but
struck a build problem that I didn't have time to try and resolve....

--
Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Smedley

Oct 28, 2007, 1:48:07 AM10/28/07
Rehi all,

With Knut's help, I've resolved this and have a binary based on
current Virtualbox svn.

People who are interested should contact me via email at the usual
address for a test zip before I release something publically.

--
Cheers,

Paul.

Axel Hagedorn

Oct 28, 2007, 7:30:27 AM10/28/07
Very cool!

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 05:48:07 -0000, Paul Smedley wrote:

>Rehi all,

[...]

>With Knut's help, I've resolved this and have a binary based on
>current Virtualbox svn.
>
>People who are interested should contact me via email at the usual
>address for a test zip before I release something publically.

Not being very familiar with VirtualBox as a long time VirtualPC user - am
I right that it's of no use to try to run it on an old Athlon XP 3000+
system which does not have anything like multiple cores, hyperthreading or
hardware virtualization capabilities?

Regards
Axel
--

"If Microsoft is ever going to produce something that does not suck,
it is very likely a vacuum cleaner."

Axel Hagedorn - Darmstadt/Germany - axel.h...@gmx.de
PGP-Key and ICQ-UID on request

Onno Möding

Oct 28, 2007, 8:33:49 AM10/28/07
Hi Paul,

i'm always still looking for a compiled version and read all
news-letters about this topic.
By my self i also download the Vbox.tar.bz2 and try to compile, but
without success.

So it would be very nice if you could send me those binary version for
testing.

My system is a DELL E521 AMD 64X2 5600+ with 2GB-Ram and the system is
eCS2.0rc1 .

regards

Onno

Thorolf Godawa

Oct 29, 2007, 6:36:56 PM10/29/07

> Not being very familiar with VirtualBox as a long time VirtualPC user - am
> I right that it's of no use to try to run it on an old Athlon XP 3000+
> system which does not have anything like multiple cores, hyperthreading or
> hardware virtualization capabilities?

why not?

I'm using it on an server with Pentium IV/2,8GHz on Linux and on a
Pentium M/1,6Gz on Linux and also on my CoreDuo/2GHz on Windows and
Linux and it works really good on all systems!

But OS/2 as guest works ONLY on the last machine, because Intel-VT or
AMD-V hardware-virtualization is a must - Windows XP as guest works well
without that!
--
To Answer please replace "invalid" with "de" !
Zum Antworten bitte "invalid" durch "de" ersetzen !

Chau y hasta luego,

Thorolf

Herwig Bauernfeind

Oct 30, 2007, 3:57:19 AM10/30/07
Thorolf Godawa schrieb:

> Hi,
>
>> Not being very familiar with VirtualBox as a long time VirtualPC user - am
>> I right that it's of no use to try to run it on an old Athlon XP 3000+
>> system which does not have anything like multiple cores, hyperthreading or
>> hardware virtualization capabilities?
> why not?
>
> I'm using it on an server with Pentium IV/2,8GHz on Linux and on a
> Pentium M/1,6Gz on Linux and also on my CoreDuo/2GHz on Windows and
> Linux and it works really good on all systems!
>
> But OS/2 as guest works ONLY on the last machine, because Intel-VT or
> AMD-V hardware-virtualization is a must - Windows XP as guest works well
> without that!

I fully second that. I installed Windows 2000 testwise on the 1.4.0
build and this also worked quite well here (no net however, as others
have noted before).

My machine is a AthlonXP 3000+ and the vm speed is absolutely comparable
with VPC/2, harddisk access eventually being a bit faster, screen
rendering being a bit slower.

Kind regards,
Herwig

Paul Smedley

Oct 30, 2007, 4:10:08 AM10/30/07
Hi Onno,

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 12:33:49 UTC, Onno M”ding <moe...@foni.net>
wrote:

There is a link at
http://www.os2world.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,63/topic,406.m
sg1994/topicseen,1/#new

--
Cheers,

Paul.

Onno Möding

Oct 30, 2007, 4:23:43 PM10/30/07
Hi Paul,

many many thanks.. :-))

regards

Onno

Andreas Ludwig

Oct 31, 2007, 8:57:03 PM10/31/07

Herwig, I'm confused - are you running the 1.4.0 build on eCS or OS/2? I have
a dual Opteron here and thought I needed a recent Intel CPU to run
VirtualBox.

Also, I gave Paul's latest build a try and get the same error others are
reporting, shich I attributed to my CPUs being rather old AMDs:

"Failed to create the VirtualBox COM object. The application will now
terminate"

Callee RC: 0xB0040154

(The zeros could be Ds in fact - not sure with the font they are using)

Cheers
Andreas

--

Andreas Ludwig
Vancouver, BC

Trevor Hemsley

Oct 31, 2007, 8:16:11 PM10/31/07
On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 00:57:03 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, "Andreas Ludwig"
<And...@web.de> wrote:

> Also, I gave Paul's latest build a try and get the same error others are
> reporting, shich I attributed to my CPUs being rather old AMDs:
>
> "Failed to create the VirtualBox COM object. The application will now
> terminate"
>
> Callee RC: 0xB0040154

I suspect that Paul's zip file may be incomplete or something. I get the same
error and have been trying to compile my own copy for a few days without success
(currently stuck on a bunch of unresolved external references). On the copy I
have on Linux there is a components subdirectory that contains some shared
libraries and a couple of xpt files - am hoping that when I get mine to build I
can copy over the bits needed to get Paul's to work.

It's 0x80040154 and shows up mainly as an installation error on google - though
on all the other reports I found it was on Vista or Linux.

Dave Yeo

Oct 31, 2007, 10:05:34 PM10/31/07
Hi Paul. Is there any chance of posting the patches or a howto?
Dave

Paul Smedley

Nov 1, 2007, 4:31:38 AM11/1/07
Hi Trevor,

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 00:16:11 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
<Trevor....@mytrousers.ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 00:57:03 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, "Andreas Ludwig"
> <And...@web.de> wrote:
>
> > Also, I gave Paul's latest build a try and get the same error others are
> > reporting, shich I attributed to my CPUs being rather old AMDs:
> >
> > "Failed to create the VirtualBox COM object. The application will now
> > terminate"
> >
> > Callee RC: 0xB0040154
>
> I suspect that Paul's zip file may be incomplete or something. I get the same
> error and have been trying to compile my own copy for a few days without success
> (currently stuck on a bunch of unresolved external references). On the copy I

I'm guessing these are Qt symbols - do you have Qt installed from my
build environment?

Do you have a localconfig.kmk in the vbox directory that contains
somethink like the following?
VBOX_PATH_QT = /dev/qt/trunk
LIB_QT = $(VBOX_PATH_QT)/lib/psqt.lib
VBOX_DLL_QT = $(VBOX_PATH_QT)/bin/psqt.dll

--
Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Smedley

Nov 1, 2007, 4:34:55 AM11/1/07
Hi Dave,

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 02:05:34 UTC, Dave Yeo <dave....@gmail.com>
wrote:

Only patch was to remove one symbol (_ASMMultU64ByU32DivByU32) from a
couple of .def files.

Rough build instructions:
I started with
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/OS/2%20build%20instructions

In addition - I found that:
set VBOX_PATH_GLIB=/dev/virtualbox/vbox/tools/os2.x86/glibidl/gcc335
set VBOX_PATH_LIBIDL=/dev/virtualbox/vbox/tools/os2.x86/glibidl/gcc335
were necessary

My build environment includes a pre-built Qt which makes things
slightly easier....

--
Cheers,

Paul.

Trevor Hemsley

Nov 1, 2007, 10:23:10 AM11/1/07
On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 08:31:38 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, "Paul Smedley"
<pauld...@despamsmedley.info> wrote:

> I'm guessing these are Qt symbols - do you have Qt installed from my
> build environment?

I don't think so.

> Do you have a localconfig.kmk in the vbox directory that contains
> somethink like the following?
> VBOX_PATH_QT = /dev/qt/trunk
> LIB_QT = $(VBOX_PATH_QT)/lib/psqt.lib
> VBOX_DLL_QT = $(VBOX_PATH_QT)/bin/psqt.dll

I have all those.

First error listed is:
kBuild: Linking VirtualBox
weakld: error: Unresolved symbol (UNDEF) '__ZNK13QListViewItem6heightEv'.
weakld: info: The symbol is referenced by:

F:\vbox\out\os2.x86\release\obj\src\VBox\Frontends\VirtualBox\VirtualBox\gen\ui\
VBoxGlobalSettingsDlg.o

followed by about 12000 lines (!) of similar errors then

Ignoring unresolved externals reported from weak prelinker.
Error! E2028: _qApp is an undefined reference
Error! E2028: __ZNK12QApplication9translateEPKcS1_S1_NS_8EncodingE is an
undefined reference
Error! E2028: __ZN7QString10fromLatin1EPKci is an undefined reference
Error! E2028: __ZN7QString8fromUtf8EPKci is an undefined reference

(about 2000 of those!)

Then 9000 lines of
file
F:\vbox\out\os2.x86\release\obj\src\VBox\Frontends\VirtualBox\VirtualBox\gen\moc
\moc_QIWidgetValidator.o(moc_QIWidgetValidator.
o): undefined symbol _qApp

But it *compiles* OK up to there :-)

J de Boyne Pollard

Nov 1, 2007, 10:52:27 AM11/1/07
TH> F:\vbox\out\os2.x86\release\obj\src\VBox\Frontends\VirtualBox
\VirtualBox\gen\ui\VBoxGlobalSettingsDlg.o

Is there some competition running to see how many times the same thing
can be named in a single pathname? (-:

Dave Yeo

Nov 1, 2007, 8:32:57 PM11/1/07
Ok, that is a problem as I don't have a linker that will link QT. Is
your prebuilt Qt available? I don't really want to DL your build
enviroment due to limited bandwidth here
Dave

Trevor Hemsley

Nov 1, 2007, 9:37:46 PM11/1/07
On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 08:31:38 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, "Paul Smedley"
<pauld...@despamsmedley.info> wrote:

> I'm guessing these are Qt symbols - do you have Qt installed from my
> build environment?

Looks like they are indeed QT symbols and there are pages and pages of them :-)

> Do you have a localconfig.kmk in the vbox directory that contains
> somethink like the following?
> VBOX_PATH_QT = /dev/qt/trunk
> LIB_QT = $(VBOX_PATH_QT)/lib/psqt.lib
> VBOX_DLL_QT = $(VBOX_PATH_QT)/bin/psqt.dll

I didn't, I had a localenvironment.kmk but the symptoms remain the same after
renaming it.

I do have your QT in /dev/qt/trunk but I guess I'm missing something to make it
look there.

The g++ command that fails will work if I hand edit the rsp file and add the
psqt.lib/dll files into there myself (but kmk immediately removes that and blows
up again so not much use).

LIBRARY_PATH has f:/dev/qt/trunk/lib in it which is where I thought it was
looking but perhaps not?

Paul Smedley

Nov 2, 2007, 4:04:14 AM11/2/07
Hi Trevor,

Those are Qt symbols....

If you want just my Qt build then sing out...

--
Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Smedley

Nov 2, 2007, 4:05:45 AM11/2/07
Hi Again,

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 01:37:46 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
<Trevor....@mytrousers.ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 08:31:38 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, "Paul Smedley"
> <pauld...@despamsmedley.info> wrote:
>
> > I'm guessing these are Qt symbols - do you have Qt installed from my
> > build environment?
>
> Looks like they are indeed QT symbols and there are pages and pages of them :-)
>
> > Do you have a localconfig.kmk in the vbox directory that contains
> > somethink like the following?
> > VBOX_PATH_QT = /dev/qt/trunk
> > LIB_QT = $(VBOX_PATH_QT)/lib/psqt.lib
> > VBOX_DLL_QT = $(VBOX_PATH_QT)/bin/psqt.dll
>
> I didn't, I had a localenvironment.kmk but the symptoms remain the same after
> renaming it.

Where is your localconfig.kmk located?

I checkout source from u:\dev\virtualbox

localconfig.kmk is in u:\dev\virtualbox\vbox

--
Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Smedley

Nov 2, 2007, 4:06:47 AM11/2/07
Hi Dave,

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 00:32:57 UTC, Dave Yeo <dave....@gmail.com>
wrote:

Contact me off list for a Qt build :)

--
Cheers,

Paul.

Herwig Bauernfeind

Nov 2, 2007, 5:29:37 AM11/2/07
Andreas Ludwig schrieb:

>>> why not?
>>>
>>> I'm using it on an server with Pentium IV/2,8GHz on Linux and on a
>>> Pentium M/1,6Gz on Linux and also on my CoreDuo/2GHz on Windows and
>>> Linux and it works really good on all systems!
>>>
>>> But OS/2 as guest works ONLY on the last machine, because Intel-VT or
>>> AMD-V hardware-virtualization is a must - Windows XP as guest works well
>>> without that!
>> I fully second that. I installed Windows 2000 testwise on the 1.4.0
>> build and this also worked quite well here (no net however, as others
>> have noted before).
>>
>> My machine is a AthlonXP 3000+ and the vm speed is absolutely comparable
>> with VPC/2, harddisk access eventually being a bit faster, screen
>> rendering being a bit slower.
>
> Herwig, I'm confused - are you running the 1.4.0 build on eCS or OS/2? I have
> a dual Opteron here and thought I needed a recent Intel CPU to run
> VirtualBox.
I ran the Virtualbox 1.4.0 OS/2-host on a reasonably old AthlonXP 3000+
(K7 family, Barton core). From what I have read I wont be able to use
OS/2-guests because my CPU does not have the Vanderbilt/Pacifica
extensions found in recent Intel/AMD CPUs.

Regards,
Herwig

Andy Willis

Nov 2, 2007, 8:55:23 AM11/2/07
I linked QT with wlink successfully.
Andy

Dave Yeo

Nov 2, 2007, 11:06:59 AM11/2/07
On 11/02/07 05:55 am, Andy Willis wrote:
> Dave Yeo wrote:
>> On 11/01/07 01:34 am, Paul Smedley wrote:
>>> Hi Dave,

>>> My build environment includes a pre-built Qt which makes things
>>> slightly easier....
>>>
>> Ok, that is a problem as I don't have a linker that will link QT. Is
>> your prebuilt Qt available? I don't really want to DL your build
>> enviroment due to limited bandwidth here
>> Dave
> I linked QT with wlink successfully.
> Andy

Did the QT actually work? I tried with wl-hll-r1.zip some time ago and
even though the build finished it turned out some symbols in the DLL
were junk.
I'll try updating QT and trying again and if it does not work I'll get
Paul's build
Dave

Andy Willis

Nov 2, 2007, 11:13:23 AM11/2/07
I built VBox with it, seems to work as far as I can tell.
Andy

Trevor Hemsley

Nov 2, 2007, 4:27:12 PM11/2/07
On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 08:05:45 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, "Paul Smedley"
<pauld...@despamsmedley.info> wrote:

> Where is your localconfig.kmk located?
>
> I checkout source from u:\dev\virtualbox
>
> localconfig.kmk is in u:\dev\virtualbox\vbox

I just have a f:\vbox directory that is the equivalent of your
\dev\virtualbox\vbox. My localconfig.kmk is in \vbox. I've obviously got
something wrong in my environment variables somewhere but I duuno where. Will
continue to experiment.

Trevor Hemsley

Nov 2, 2007, 9:04:21 PM11/2/07
On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 08:05:45 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, "Paul Smedley"
<pauld...@despamsmedley.info> wrote:

> localconfig.kmk is in u:\dev\virtualbox\vbox

I did two things and it worked. First I ran ./configure and it spat out an error
message about unable to determine OS and finished - not unreasonably when you
read the script ;-) What it did do though was write an empty AutoConfig.kmk so I
copied localconfig.kmk into that and reran the compile and it worked.

Dave Yeo

Nov 3, 2007, 9:50:56 PM11/3/07
Was this a SVN checkout or a zip file? I've been having problems getting
the SVN checkout to compile very far at all. Seems to be missing some
(q)makefiles or something though I haven't looked very hard yet
Dave

Andy Willis

Nov 3, 2007, 11:53:47 PM11/3/07
Yes, built from SVN.
Andy

Chuck McKinnis

Nov 5, 2007, 10:48:12 PM11/5/07
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 00:44:56 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
<Trevor....@mytrousers.ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Has anyone tried to compile a recent build of Virtualbox on OS/2?

> Does it work?

> If so, care to share your binaries with the rest of us?

One of my presentations at Warpstock 2007 will be on eCS in virtual
machines. I installed Virtual PC 2007, Parallels, SVISTA 2004, and
Virtual Box to WinXP on my T42 since WinXP was the only platform that
ran all of them. My Virtual Box experience was not very good.

eCS 1.2R
ISO boot for setup
Install boot hangs at RESOURCE.SYS
eCS 2.0RC3
ISO boot for setup
Install boot traps at RESOURCE.SYS

--
Chuck McKinnis
mcki...@sandia.net

Thorolf Godawa

Nov 6, 2007, 2:54:54 PM11/6/07

> eCS 1.2R
> ISO boot for setup
> Install boot hangs at RESOURCE.SYS
> eCS 2.0RC3
> ISO boot for setup
> Install boot traps at RESOURCE.SYS

this is a known problem, use Warp 3, Warp 4, MCP1/2/2R or ACP1/2/2R and
be happy!

Or make an eCS-install somewhere else (I made it in VPC/2), zip it, boot
with CD to a commandline, partition, format and unpack the zip. Then
even eCS will run in VBox!

Alessandro

Nov 6, 2007, 1:54:58 AM11/6/07
In article <Hh88TnfhPDFx-pn2-S26XhmQpNsdt@chmhoc>,
"Chuck McKinnis" <mcki...@sandia.net> wrote:

>ran all of them. My Virtual Box experience was not very good.
>
>eCS 1.2R
> ISO boot for setup
> Install boot hangs at RESOURCE.SYS
>eCS 2.0RC3
> ISO boot for setup
> Install boot traps at RESOURCE.SYS

Hi Chuck...

I succeeded in installing eCS on virtual box (1.5) by cloning a real hardware
installation

- install eCS on any volume selecting gengradd as video driver
- zip the whole volume:
X:
CD\
zip -rq9ST$ eCS.zip * -x X:\OS2\SYSTEM\SWAPPER.DAT
- use Bootable to create a bootable command line CD-ISO including unzip.exe, lvm.exe,
sysinstx.exe and a zip of the eCS installation
- mount the ISO in a virtual box machine and boot it
- create a volume with the appropriate drive letter in the virtual box hard drive
- format the voume
- unzip the eCS installation archive
- run sysinstx to install the system files in the proper location
- unmount the CD-ISO
- reboot
- install the eCS additions

--
bye
Alessandro

Andreas Ludwig

Nov 7, 2007, 2:28:43 PM11/7/07
On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 20:54:54 +0100, Thorolf Godawa wrote:

>> eCS 1.2R
>> ISO boot for setup
>> Install boot hangs at RESOURCE.SYS
>> eCS 2.0RC3
>> ISO boot for setup
>> Install boot traps at RESOURCE.SYS
>this is a known problem, use Warp 3, Warp 4, MCP1/2/2R or ACP1/2/2R and
>be happy!
>
>Or make an eCS-install somewhere else (I made it in VPC/2), zip it, boot
>with CD to a commandline, partition, format and unpack the zip. Then
>even eCS will run in VBox!

Or get somebody fix that resource.sys. It hangs sometimes when I try to
install on my (real) computer as well. And this piece of eCS is available for
change, I suppose.

Chuck McKinnis

Nov 8, 2007, 9:01:32 AM11/8/07
On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 03:48:12 UTC, "Chuck McKinnis" <mcki...@sandia.net>
wrote:

Not being able to run the installer is a major stumbling block.

Andreas Ludwig

Nov 11, 2007, 4:15:45 PM11/11/07
On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 10:29:37 +0100, Herwig Bauernfeind wrote:

>> Herwig, I'm confused - are you running the 1.4.0 build on eCS or OS/2? I have
>> a dual Opteron here and thought I needed a recent Intel CPU to run
>> VirtualBox.

>I ran the Virtualbox 1.4.0 OS/2-host on a reasonably old AthlonXP 3000+
>(K7 family, Barton core). From what I have read I wont be able to use
>OS/2-guests because my CPU does not have the Vanderbilt/Pacifica
>extensions found in recent Intel/AMD CPUs.

Ah. OK, so it's the eCS GUEST that is a problem not the host anymore ;o)

I have Ubuntu running here with VboxBFE. Yeah! See my post in

http://www.os2world.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,63/topic,406.msg2415/#
msg2415

Andreas Ludwig

Nov 11, 2007, 8:52:02 PM11/11/07
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 13:15:45 -0800 (PST), Andreas Ludwig wrote:

>I have Ubuntu running here with VboxBFE. Yeah! See my post in

Now WinXP SP2 as well. No network though and no shared folders - so it's a
little less useful ;o)

See a screenshot at http://andreas-ludwig.info/index.php?page=system-info

Herwig Bauernfeind

Nov 12, 2007, 5:02:10 AM11/12/07
Andreas Ludwig schrieb:

> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 13:15:45 -0800 (PST), Andreas Ludwig wrote:
>
>> I have Ubuntu running here with VboxBFE. Yeah! See my post in
>
> Now WinXP SP2 as well. No network though and no shared folders - so it's a
> little less useful ;o)
>
> See a screenshot at http://andreas-ludwig.info/index.php?page=system-info

BTW I borrowed the guest additions for Windows from a VirtualBox for
Windows...

Kind regards,
Herwig