GIMP 1.0 is ready!

已查看 2 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Adrian Gschwend

未读,
1998年9月14日 03:00:001998/9/14
收件人
Today, the OS/2 GIMP-Team finished the port of GIMP 1.0 for XFree86/2

GIMP is a very powerful image manipulation program, it has a lot of
powerful tools and filters available. GIMP is something like the
Photoshop for Linux, and for OS/2 :-)

Check http://www.gimp.org for more informations about the GIMP!

You can download it at ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/graphic/gimp_10/

The GIMP/2 page is available at http://www.netlabs.org/gimp/
The port is a part of the OS/2 Netlabs project http://www.netlabs.org

The readme about the port is available at
ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/graphic/gimp_10/00readme.txt

Note that you need a running XFree86 to start the GIMP for OS/2, maybe
there will be a native PM port in the future, but don't expect this
soon!

Enjoy!

Adrian Gschwend
@ OS/2 Netlabs

Brad Wardell

未读,
1998年9月15日 03:00:001998/9/15
收件人
Adrian Gschwend wrote in message ...

This is great news. For those of you unfamiliar with GIMP, it's nearly as
powerful as Photoshop. I'll be sure to check it out.

Brad

--
--------------------
Brad Wardell - Stardock Systems, Inc.

Christian Hennecke

未读,
1998年9月15日 03:00:001998/9/15
收件人
Brad Wardell wrote:

> Adrian Gschwend wrote in message ...
> >Today, the OS/2 GIMP-Team finished the port of GIMP 1.0 for XFree86/2
> >
> >GIMP is a very powerful image manipulation program, it has a lot of
> >powerful tools and filters available. GIMP is something like the
> >Photoshop for Linux, and for OS/2 :-)
> >
> >Check http://www.gimp.org for more informations about the GIMP!
> >
> >You can download it at ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/graphic/gimp_10/
> >
> >The GIMP/2 page is available at http://www.netlabs.org/gimp/
> >The port is a part of the OS/2 Netlabs project http://www.netlabs.org
> >
> >The readme about the port is available at
> >ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/graphic/gimp_10/00readme.txt
> >
> >Note that you need a running XFree86 to start the GIMP for OS/2, maybe
> >there will be a native PM port in the future, but don't expect this
> >soon!
> >
> >Enjoy!
> >
> >Adrian Gschwend
> >@ OS/2 Netlabs
> >

> This is great news. For those of you unfamiliar with GIMP, it's nearly as
> powerful as Photoshop. I'll be sure to check it out.
>
> Brad

Nearly AS powerful? There are things Photoshop is not able to do but
"The GIMP" is. I don't think the other way round is true...
--
Christian Hennecke

Matthew C Weigel

未读,
1998年9月15日 03:00:001998/9/15
收件人
Christian Hennecke <christian...@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:

>Nearly AS powerful? There are things Photoshop is not able to do but
>"The GIMP" is. I don't think the other way round is true...

Yup, it can. I can't list the features, but Photoshop has access to some
for-fee patented algorithms that the GIMP doesn't.
--

Matthew

cotr...@stny.lrun.com

未读,
1998年9月15日 03:00:001998/9/15
收件人
In <35FEE1...@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>, Christian Hennecke <christian...@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>Brad Wardell wrote:
>>
>> Adrian Gschwend wrote in message ...
>> >Today, the OS/2 GIMP-Team finished the port of GIMP 1.0 for XFree86/2
>> >
>> >GIMP is a very powerful image manipulation program, it has a lot of
>> >powerful tools and filters available. GIMP is something like the
>> >Photoshop for Linux, and for OS/2 :-)
>> >
>> >Check http://www.gimp.org for more informations about the GIMP!
>> >
>> >You can download it at ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/graphic/gimp_10/
>> >
>> >The GIMP/2 page is available at http://www.netlabs.org/gimp/
>> >The port is a part of the OS/2 Netlabs project http://www.netlabs.org
>> >
>> >The readme about the port is available at
>> >ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/graphic/gimp_10/00readme.txt
>> >
>> >Note that you need a running XFree86 to start the GIMP for OS/2, maybe
>> >there will be a native PM port in the future, but don't expect this
>> >soon!
>> >
>> >Enjoy!
>> >
>> >Adrian Gschwend
>> >@ OS/2 Netlabs
>> >

>> This is great news. For those of you unfamiliar with GIMP, it's nearly as
>> powerful as Photoshop. I'll be sure to check it out.
>>
>> Brad
>
>Nearly AS powerful? There are things Photoshop is not able to do but
>"The GIMP" is. I don't think the other way round is true...
>--
>Christian Hennecke

OK, you've gotten me interested. So now, how do you install the thing?
I have the xfree device driver in my config.sys, what else do you have
to do?

Keith Cotroneo
cotr...@stny.lrun.com

nospam...@tabi.org

未读,
1998年9月15日 03:00:001998/9/15
收件人
In <35FEE1...@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>, on 09/15/98
at 11:51 PM, Christian Hennecke <christian...@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> said:

>Nearly AS powerful? There are things Photoshop is not able to do but "The
>GIMP" is. I don't think the other way round is true...

Then you don't know anything about Photoshop.

--
Remove "nospam_" from my email address when replying

Timur "too sexy for my code" Tabi, ti...@tabi.org, http://www.tabi.org
OS/2 page: http://www.os2ss.com/Information/Newusers/index.html
OS/2 Programming page: http://www.edm2.com/common/links.html
Looking for the best OS/2 soundcard? http://www.tabi.org/timur/crystalos2.html

nospam...@tabi.org

未读,
1998年9月15日 03:00:001998/9/15
收件人
In <06DL1.1341$v4.35...@newse1.twcny.rr.com>, on 09/15/98
at 11:53 PM, cotr...@stny.lrun.com said:

>OK, you've gotten me interested. So now, how do you install the thing? I have
>the xfree device driver in my config.sys, what else do you have to do?

Do you have XFree86/2 installed? If not, go to the XFree86/2 web page.
There's a pointer to it from my OS/2 page (see my sig)

Buddy Donnelly

未读,
1998年9月16日 03:00:001998/9/16
收件人
On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 02:59:25, nospam...@tabi.org a ‚crit:

>In <35FEE1...@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>, on 09/15/98
> at 11:51 PM, Christian Hennecke <christian...@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> said:
>
>>Nearly AS powerful? There are things Photoshop is not able to do but "The
>>GIMP" is. I don't think the other way round is true...
>
>Then you don't know anything about Photoshop.

Correct.

I don't want to knock what sounds like a really great project in
GIMP/2 but please, y'all don't cripple its chances at early acceptance
by overhyping it, whether by enthusiasm or ignorance. (Neither shines
a good, confidence-building light on your technical capabilities.)

Photoshop's *main* strength is probably it's level of development by
actual daily commercial Users, evidenced by the concurrent level of
support from Plugin writers who can actually make a living by coming
up with just one good Plugin.

I haven't installed GIMP (got to figure out how to do X-windows,
first, I guess) but I intend to. But I'd be shocked (no: stunned
witless catatonic) if GIMP has the ease of use that Photoshop has come
to have over the years. (Nothing else I've seen that runs on OS/2 does
have, by the way, though a few apps are close to where Photoshop was
in early Mac days, and that ain't shabby at all.)

Any chance of WIN32 converting some of the 32 bit Photoshop plugins so
they run over here with GIMP?

Good luck,

Buddy

Buddy Donnelly
donn...@tampabay.rr.com

nospam...@tabi.org

未读,
1998年9月16日 03:00:001998/9/16
收件人
In <MmESvH9HLjdw-p...@dt143n8f.tampabay.rr.com>, on 09/16/98
at 04:24 AM, "Buddy Donnelly" <donn...@tampabay.rr.com> (Buddy Donnelly) said:

>Any chance of WIN32 converting some of the 32 bit Photoshop plugins so they
>run over here with GIMP?

Good question. All the converter does is:

1. Modify the EXE so that it can be loaded by OS/2
2. Provide whatever DLLs it might need to run

The trick would be to form a connection between GIMP/2 and the converted plug-in.
Since I don't know how GIMP/2 works with plugins, I couldn't answer that.
I suppose someone should try it.

Buddy Donnelly

未读,
1998年9月16日 03:00:001998/9/16
收件人
On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 14:11:46, nospam...@tabi.org a ‚crit:

>In <MmESvH9HLjdw-p...@dt143n8f.tampabay.rr.com>, on 09/16/98
> at 04:24 AM, "Buddy Donnelly" <donn...@tampabay.rr.com> (Buddy Donnelly) said:
>
>>Any chance of WIN32 converting some of the 32 bit Photoshop plugins so they
>>run over here with GIMP?
>
>Good question. All the converter does is:
>
>1. Modify the EXE so that it can be loaded by OS/2
>2. Provide whatever DLLs it might need to run
>
>The trick would be to form a connection between GIMP/2 and the converted plug-in.
>Since I don't know how GIMP/2 works with plugins, I couldn't answer that.
>I suppose someone should try it.

Thanks for the quick hard description. I had seen something else
suggesting that hardware drivers for Win32 could be (or maybe it was
*should* be) converted with The Converter, and although that sounded
optimistic I was just wondering out loud.

nospam...@tabi.org

未读,
1998年9月16日 03:00:001998/9/16
收件人
at 05:25 PM, "Buddy Donnelly" <donn...@tampabay.rr.com> (Buddy Donnelly) said:

>Thanks for the quick hard description. I had seen something else suggesting
>that hardware drivers for Win32 could be (or maybe it was *should* be)
>converted with The Converter, and although that sounded optimistic I was
>just wondering out loud.

The drivers could be converted, but I doubt OS/2 would ever be able to load
them. 32-bit OS/2 drivers have some serious stack limitations that would
prevent most Win32 drivers from working. I'm not going to go into the
details, as they are very difficult to explain. Perhaps later this year,
I'll write an article for EDM/2 about it.

Seth McFarland

未读,
1998年9月17日 03:00:001998/9/17
收件人
On Thu, 17 Sep 1998 02:24:54, nospam...@tabi.org wrote:

> In <MmESvH9HLjdw-p...@dt143n8f.tampabay.rr.com>, on 09/16/98
> at 05:25 PM, "Buddy Donnelly" <donn...@tampabay.rr.com> (Buddy Donnelly) said:
>
> >Thanks for the quick hard description. I had seen something else suggesting
> >that hardware drivers for Win32 could be (or maybe it was *should* be)
> >converted with The Converter, and although that sounded optimistic I was
> >just wondering out loud.
>
> The drivers could be converted, but I doubt OS/2 would ever be able to load
> them. 32-bit OS/2 drivers have some serious stack limitations that would
> prevent most Win32 drivers from working. I'm not going to go into the
> details, as they are very difficult to explain. Perhaps later this year,
> I'll write an article for EDM/2 about it.

Totally off subject, but has anyone noticed the lack of anti-aliasing
in the new gimp port? I have "Anti-alias" checked when I create text
but it doesn't seem to work ever. Other than this minor problem, this
new port is *very* nicely done.

Seth McFarland, CEO Jamawkinaw Enterprises
"If I go insane, please don't put your
wires in my brain." -- Pink Floyd

Marty

未读,
1998年9月21日 03:00:001998/9/21
收件人
> at 04:24 AM, "Buddy Donnelly" <donn...@tampabay.rr.com> (Buddy Donnelly) said:
>
> >Any chance of WIN32 converting some of the 32 bit Photoshop plugins so they
> >run over here with GIMP?
>
> Good question. All the converter does is:
>
> 1. Modify the EXE so that it can be loaded by OS/2
> 2. Provide whatever DLLs it might need to run
>
> The trick would be to form a connection between GIMP/2 and the converted plug-in.
> Since I don't know how GIMP/2 works with plugins, I couldn't answer that.
> I suppose someone should try it.

"The GIMP" uses a scripting language (known as "Script-fu") for
plugins. They are not binaries at all. Perhaps binaries / DLL
procedures can be called from within these scripts, but the logistics
would be difficult to say the least. The nice thing about script-fu is
that it is multi-platform, since they're just text files.

- Marty

0 个新帖子